Where to camp near gothics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to camp near gothics?

Any one know of a good campsite near gothics? Plan is to go up gothic and come down upper wolf jaw. I saw that you can rent campsites from the lodge. Is this the best route or are there public ones that are just as close?

You probably want to camp near the lodge so you won't have an uphill climp back to camp after the three mountains.

There is the Wolf Jaws lean-to and camp area on the trail from JBL up to between the Wolf Jaws. This is probably you're best choice for location, but you might not get the lean-to.

There are campsites at the base of Big Slide and just to the west of JBL that are state owned (no charge).

There is also a lean-to on the southside Johns Brook trail, but I don't know the exact location.

Ore Bed Brook lean-to and camp area is another option, but that will be an uphill return to camp.

Comment

Do it as a day hike..
      Cats#1668/1669 and Cats HH- ADK#6338
      http://billc926.smugmug.com/Nature

Comment

As greenebr stated, your best bet would be to camp near JBL so as to minimize your uphill climb at the end of the day.

There are campsites, lean-tos, and cabins available for rent by reservation on the JBL property. The plus to these is that you don't have to worry about getting space in a camp site or lean-to, but the draw back to them is that you must pay for their use.

There is the William G. Howard memorial lean-to, just north of the Lodge. I recall that there are also several campsites along the trail in from the garden, just before it begins it's last descent down to the ranger station and the lodge. There is also at least one campsite along the trail up to Big Slide.

Closer to the garden parking area is the Bear Brook and the Deer Brook lean-tos. This would make your day doing the loop over the ranger longer, however.

Another option would be to stay at the Wolfjaws Lean-to, or one of the campsites nearby, and hike back down to the Orebed Brook Trail in the morning, then up to Gothics and back over the range. You wouldn't have to do any uphill at the end of your day this way. You could also do this with the Orebed Brook lean-to, heading back down to John's Brook and doing the loop in reverse, but I recall that the Orebed Brook lean-to is pretty far up along the trail.

I think greenebr might be mistaken about the lean-to on the southside trail. It's not on my ADK map, and I don't have the National Geographic Map in front of me. Unless it's something new, but I haven't heard about any new lean-tos in that area. Admittedly, the one and only time I ever hiked the southside trail was as a kid, nearly 20 years ago. I remember falling in the river and getting my pants soaked when we crossed back over to the northside, just before reaching the Garden.

Comment

Thanks for all the great advice everyone. I think we will try to get a campsite or lean-to as suggested so we don’t have a long walk after the mountains.

Comment

Originally posted by billandjudy View Post
            Do it as a day hike..
            Yeah...cuz there's no pub at the leanto.

Seriously, starting at the AMR, go up over Pyramid to Gothics and come back down to AMR from the Wolfjaw notch. It's a great dayhike!
            Steve

Rule #6: Don't take yourself so G.D. seriously. There are no other rules. - Zander

Comment

Last time I was on the Southside trail was about a year and a half ago - never saw a leanto, but certainly got the wet feet crossing back over.....
              ADK 46er #7634
              ADK Winter 46 8/46

Comment

Yes....no lean-to on the Southside Trail. I would defnitely recomend the Wolfjaws lean-to. Do the Wolfjaws, Armstrong then Gothics and head down the Orebed Trail. There is then a trail, the Woodsfall Trail I think, that cuts you back over to the Wolfjaws lean-to. There are also tent sites just before the lean-to in case the lean to is occupied.
                *************ENDLESS WINTER**************

Comment

I'll bump this thread instead of creating a new one with a few questions of my own.

Planning on a 2-3 night trip to either the Gothics or Colden area, leaning towards Gothics. I will have my border collie with me so I need to make sure this area is doable with her. I have read that the Ore-Bed Brook trail is quite difficult and not safe for a dog, so unless someone convinces me otherwise I'm going to try and avoid this route.

I planned on starting the trip from the Gardens parking lot and hiking out to either Bushnell Falls or Slant Rock lean-to and hitting a swim hole on the way in. The following day we'd head up to the peaks probably starting with Basin via Slant Rock then over Gothics and camp at Wolf Jaws lean-to. Is this route advisable and doable with a dog and full packs? Or should I be planning this differently? So it's myself, my fiance and dog, all in great shape, with 2 nights (maybe 3 if someone convinces me of a great loop).

I appreciate any help and plan on full TR with pics when we're back!

edit - Also, are campfires allowed at the lean-to in this area? Or is it a big no-no everywhere? Never camped in a no campfire area before... Not sure the GF is going to be very happy about this lol.
                  Last edited by Drex; 07-24-2010, 04:04 AM.

Comment

http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=11899
                    Oliver(English Springer Spaniel) has been on nearly every trail in the high peaks. Very few times have we needed to help him around obstacles. At 35lbs carrying him up or down a ladder or giving him a boost when needed has been no problem. I would think an athletic border collie would have very little problems as well.

Originally posted by Drex View Post
                    Planning on a 2-3 night trip to either the Gothics or Colden area, leaning towards Gothics. I will have my border collie with me so I need to make sure this area is doable with her. I have read that the Ore-Bed Brook trail is quite difficult and not safe for a dog, so unless someone convinces me otherwise I'm going to try and avoid this route.

Comment

What about the ledges on Saddleback going over it from Basin? I thought those could present problems for a dog.

Why hit them all in one day if you have three to spend? Camp in the general area, do Gothics one day, Do Basin the next. Maybe hit Big Slide the day after that. If you think you can do all of them in one day while packing, then doing them separately should be a piece of cake, though one well deserved.

Oh yea, no campfires are permitted at all in the High Peaks area.
                      Are you hiding in the shadows - forget the pain, forget the sorrow.

Comment

You will have trouble doing going from Slant Rock to do Basin, Saddleback, Gothics, Armstrong, Upper Wolf Jaw and then to the Wolf Jaws lean-to with full packs and a dog. There are two ladders you will need to navigate: one up Basin (~20-25ft) and one down Armstong (~15 ft). You would likely have to make multiple trips up and down the ladder to carry your pack and dog.

Also, Basin and Saddleback are steep going up in the counter clockwise direction and the dog will likely need assistance.

If you can navigate Basin/Saddleback, then going up Gothics with the cables will seem tame.

Most people are intimated about hiking this route with a full pack and no dog. This can be done, but make sure you are prepared for some tough sections (i.e. have some good rope).

Comment

There are some camp-sites and maybe a shelter past Busnell Falls where Chicken Coop Brook meets Johns Brook (cross over the Johns Brook). Look around. Some sites a short way up the Johns Brook (look best) and some up the trail a ways. I think this is the best place to camp. You can leave your gear here in the morning and continue on to Slant Rock and up Shorey Short Cut trail to Ridge Trail, then to Basin and Saddleback. This will put you at the col between Saddleback and Gothics, and if you have strength, you can knock off Basin. The Ore Brook trail down is not unsafe for dogs and can easily be handled by your dog. If wet, though, it will be slippery for you.

An alternative would be to camp at the foot of the Ore Brook Trail east of the Johns Brook Lodge. We camped in an impromptu spot near where the Ore Brook joins the Johns Brook. Camp Peggy O'Brien is here although I don't know the camping rules there.

I think the trick is to travel as light as possible when crossing these peaks. We carried 30-35 lb packs and wish we had gone lighter.

Remember, you will need to rope your dog up (or down) the west face of Saddleback.

Comment

Working...
                          X