Leash Laws: history / background?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leash Laws: history / background?

One recent thread mentioned leash laws in passing: looking in from the outside (UK), I was just curious as to where these came from (and why they are seemingly so draconian).

FWIW, we had a border collie for 9 years in the UK... and for the last 8 of those, I never used a leash with her: not in town (where I'd happily get her to lie down outside stores whilst I shopped) nor in farmland / wilderness (where "keep your dog on a lead" warnings could be found, but where most folk recognised that a dog under control WITHOUT a leash is preferable to a dog that's only a dropped leash away from running riot).

A friend (UK born, based in the US since 1993) has reported draconian leash laws (and a widespread expectation that they be observed) from the mountains of Maine to suburbs of Las Vegas and from the coast of Georgia to some midge infested swamps in Wisconsin - but I've just never understood the acceptance of what appears from afar to be a very different approach to that with which I'm familiar.
    Last edited by Snowgoose; 07-27-2010, 05:47 PM.

I hear ya Snowgoose. I'll leave the rest of the input to others.
    Scooting here and there
    Through the woods and up the peaks
    Random Scoots awaits (D.P.)

"Pushing the limits of easy."™

Comment

my take...

Americans generally do not discipline their dogs. we like to 'have' dogs, but do not have the patience to train them as needed. if you really want to read an argument, get on the website whiteblaze.net and check out the forum topic 'dogs on the appalachian trail'.

i worked with the british and german armies, and the german border police when i lived overseas. several officers kept dogs, some as pets, some as working dogs (the border police). they were good company, obedient, and well trained. came, sat, stayed, went, laid down, turned left/right, etc... all on command, the first time, with no repetition needed. in germany, dogs are allowed in restaurants because they (the germans, as a nation) demand their dogs be 'civilized'. two examples:

i was once in a restaurant in germany. a large german shepherd was blocking the aisle between two tables. the owner looked at me, said 'hold on a second', mumbled something to his dog, who obediently crawled backwards on his belly up under the table, my wife and i passed, and the dog was told to come back out, which he did.

another time, i was out walking in the town i lived in. a german couple with a small dog approached from the other direction. their dog, who was on about a 6' leash, swerved over to sniff my ankle. the german man turned beet red with embarrassment and apologized profusely for this breach of etiquette.

american leash laws are 'draconian' because most american dogs need to be leashed. the few 'good' dogs out there, and their owners, suffer.

my dog comes, goes, stops, sits, stays, and gets out of my way on command. he sits still in the canoe. he has no bottom teeth (long story) and can't bite people. i let him run loose when i'm hiking, but keep him close and leashed when i'm in town.

i like well-behaved dogs and well-behaved children. i do not enjoy, nor understand, ill-behaved dogs or ill-behaved children. there is no excuse. if you can't train a dog properly, don't get one.

Comment

Seeker pretty much said it all.

The leash laws may be "Draconian" but they are in plave so that people don't have to deal with other peoples dogs. And there is good reason behind it.

I have an electronic colaar for my dog, which I never have to actually use, just the fact that he is wearing it is all that is needed. I do have a little green button which issues a 'beep" and he returns to my side immediately. But I still have a quick release leash attached to his pack and when there are people coming I use the leash.

He is fine and would not hurt a souul, but there are people who are afraid of dogs, some with good reason (having been bit by a dog), and there are people who have their dogs with them also.

So, the leash protects my dog, as well as anyone else.

Hawk
        "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

Working...
        X