Phelps with a lab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phelps with a lab

What is there to consider with a canine on this hike? Leash is mandatory on this eastern hike? Lots of rocks and roots on Phelps trail. Anything else?

Leash law is in effect for Phelps. For the most part it should be an easy hike for dogs. If you park at South Meadow you can save $9 and it only adds about 2 miles to the journey. There is(was several months ago) a cool beaver dam along the SM trail as well.

Comment

I understand the leash law need on crowded trails but it surely is not comfy on the steeper sections near summits. Is this really enforced via wandering rangers or do hikers really expect compliance on this near the top?

Comment

My understanding is that the leash law is enforced by locale, not the subjective measurement of crowded vs. uncrowded.

From the perspective of someone who spends little time around dogs, I would find it particularly disconcerting to be on an exposed slab and be confronted with a large, unleashed, unfamiliar dog. I love animals, have some friends with dogs, and have hiked with a few...but the key is that I know those animals.
        Steve

Rule #6: Don't take yourself so G.D. seriously. There are no other rules. - Zander

Comment

Ah, the infamous leash law - don't get me started!!!!
          Are you hiding in the shadows - forget the pain, forget the sorrow.

Comment

how about

A coworker who is a dog expert suggest that I use (she lent me one) a short bungee cord section that goes between the dog's collar and whatever leash is used, retractable or normal. It would appear to lessen stress on a person's wrist and on the dog itself, adding some flex to the canine-human connection.

Comment

A body harness as opposed to a neck collar is a much more user friendly idea as well.

Comment

My Shih Tzu/Papillion mix did Phelps a few years ago ... Her first of five high peaks so far. Great hike and she did splendidly.

Comment

Working...
                X