Suggestions for hiking with your dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for hiking with your dog

I am doing a 2-3 night backpacking trip with my german shephard in 3 weeks and want to get some feedback form anyone who brings their dog on such trips?

Any specific gear or things I need to consider?

Thanks.

he sleeps fine in the tent or lean-to, but its a tight fit having both of us. he doesnt wander far. he is interested in wild life but not a vicious dog. he doesnt harm anythign and doesnt bark or growl.

i have no idea how hed react to a bear but hed prob bark at that. which may be a good thing right?

Comment

Lots to consider. If you are going into the high peaks expect a lot of people. Lot of people means extra care taken to make sure your dog doesn't wander or bark enough to bother those around you. A lean to might end up having to be shared, he better be cool about that. If you can, go in on a Monday, come out Thursday morning, to help reduce the number of people around. I go in the off seasons so that those problems are considerably lessened.

Get a dog pack so he can carry his own stuff. Put food in a freezer bag(s) because he will inevitably go into the water. The dog pack also acts as a calming mechanism for the dog as he now knows he needs to do some work. If he hasn't carried a pack before try it out first. Many dogs don't know what the heck that thing is you just put on him, and he needs to get used to not banging it against trees. Also, you need to figure out the best adjustment for the bag and your dog.
      Are you hiding in the shadows - forget the pain, forget the sorrow.

Comment

i hammock, my daughter tents. the dog sleeps with her. he's a chaser (part Chow, part Catahoula), and barks at anything that comes close. at home, he used to go through the screens on the porch after raccoons (his mortal enemies) until i made him a door. camping, he stands up in the tent, alert, when he hears something, until she lets him out. he'll stay gone all night if we let him out (found that out the hard way... treed a coon and kept at it for 4 hours or so. finally came back around dawn. fortunately, we were on a small island).

if i've got him alone, he sleeps under the hammock tarp, but i have to tie him up. also, tent or tarp, we carry a wide (22"?) blue foam pad cut down to about 4' long for him to sleep on, so he's not on the ground (lots of crawlies down here, including fire ants). he also knows he's supposed to stay on it when it's in the bottom of the canoe too.

as mentioned, you'll have to figure out how to feed him. i bag each meal in a ziplock, and feed it to him in a lightweight bowl i made by cutting it off the bottom of a gallon milk jug.

i prefer to have him in a harness (vs a collar) so he can't pull out of it if he decides to chase something, though he's pretty much voice trained to come, sit, stay, stop, and lay down. working on left and right with him, and getting him to stay between my daughter and i as we walk (don't want him ranging ahead unless i tell him to.)

Comment

I agree with Seekers advice re harness. My Golden lost her collar (probably while chasing vermin)..and the tags including rabies and proof of licensure were gone. She is absolutely no help in telling us where the collar was lost.

Now she gets stuck with the harness but does not choke. She can still verbalize "HELP".( after all she is a golden and loves all animals...though they don't all love her)

Comment

good feedback folks. thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X