Swim holes in keene valley area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swim holes in keene valley area?

Anyone know any good swim holes in the Keene Valley area? Ive heard there is one on the South Fork of the Boquet River. Anyone got info on that or others?

Chapel Pond.
    “One of the penalties of an ecological education is that one lives alone in a world of wounds.” ~ Aldo Leopold

Comment

My daughter and I have enjoyed a few nice cool off swims at Hulls Falls...but ,obey the posted signs......cross the bridge and pulloff below the falls...there is a nice...tub-sized hole right next to the bank...nice place to lay back and cooloff...just please respect the posted signs...

WB
      "Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton

Comment

Google swimming holes, there are a couple dedicated sites out there.

The Boquet swimming is on the North Fork, some right by the road, some about 1/2 mile up the East Dix path.

Further downstream, Split Rock Falls is popular but can be dangerous at high water, and has some dangerous high jumps. Perfectly safe though in the lower pools.

Town of Keene has a park right across from Marcy Field with good swimming on the Ausable, and picnic tables, etc.

Have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by TCD View Post

The Boquet swimming is on the North Fork, some right by the road, some about 1/2 mile up the East Dix path.
          That spot that is up the Dix Herd path is called the Shoe Box. There is another spot on the other side of the river, the one right by the road. It's on the Northern Side of the river. Park on the road and walk across the street, up the little path, and you'll come to the swimming hole. The cliffs on both sides are great for jumping.

If you go downstream on the other side of the road, there is another smaller hole with a "split" waterfall. There is a neat little cave behind it that is pretty cool to check out.
          Videos --- Camp Loonsong --- Mountains Climbed

Comment

Shoebox Swimming Hole

I took my family to the Shoebox on a late afternoon last month. It's a nice bottomless swimhole - at least I did not touch bottom. There is a photo of this swimhole here.

Also, Shoebox was discussed previously on this forum in this (thread) The forum thread mentions that leeches come out in the late afternoon. Well my boys got small black leeches on them (maybe they stood in some standing water, I'm not sure).

Where the rocks slope into the hole, I noticed a nice juicy three inch greyish leech (blended really well against the rock surface). My wife put her hand in the water about 8 inches away and it must have sensed her - it immediately started to crawl towards her hand.

I hope this does not turn you off on this hole - it is very cool place. I just stayed in the deep water and when I got out, I moved quickly through the shallows!
            Last edited by Crash; 08-11-2010, 10:23 PM. Reason: Fixed Link

Comment

Thanks everyone, hope to check these out this week.

Comment

Working...
              X