Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• questions re my backpacking route

Hey all -

I'm thinking of doing a 2 night solo next week Mon-Wed. I wanted to do something fun and stunning, but still low key and not jammed with people. I decided to steer away from Mt Marcy even though I'm going during the week. It sounds like it is just packed all the time anyway, is that right?

I'm planning to park at Upper Works and hike into Lake Colden, drop my pack and go up to Algonquin Peak and back down, then camp at Lake Colden. Is it going to be really crowded there on a week night? i'll have my tarp with me so a lean too isnt' a must (in fact i might rather not use one), but i'd rather it be kind of quiet. I couldn't figure out another way to get up to a fun peak while still having a quieter place to camp. Any other ideas for where to camp?

The next day I was going to cut across to Indian Pass and hike down to Henderson Lake and hang out there for the afternoon. how does that sound? is that trail across to Indian Pass okay?

I'd love any thoughts or tips you have on this route. Looking forward to it!

Thanks so much.

When you hike up Algonquin, also take the short side trip up Boundary/Iroquois. The herd path starts at bend in the trail up Algonquin for the final ascent. It is a short distance (0.4-0.5 miles) and low elevation (~125 feet) and has great 360 views, include a great close up of Algonquin.

That being said, there will definitely be people at Lake Colden and up Algonquin. It depends on how much solitude you want. Mount Marshall (southern most peak in the MacIntyre Range) will offer more solitude. See these recent post for more details:

Avalanche Pass (between Algonquin and Colden, north of Lake Colden) offers great views.

Colden is a nice rewarding climb.

I've never been in the Indian Pass/Henderson Lake area, so I have no input there.

Comment

You've got a pretty good route picked out that's pretty doable in 3 days/2 nights.

As for people, you'll definitely see them at Lake Colden on week days in late August, but it shouldn't be nearly as bad as a weekend. I'm guessing you should be able to get a campsite to yourself, as there are plenty of them at Lake Colden.

These maps might be beneficial in terms of looking for an out of the way campsite in the area.

Comment

Working...
      X