Looking for an "ETA"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for an "ETA"

Part of my upcoming trip involves arriving at Gardens parking sometime mid/late day, hiking in a short ways and set up camp (probably before the John's Brook Lodge). Wake up early the next morning, leave most of the gear behind and hike Gothics, Armstrong, Upper and Lower Wolf via Ore Bed Trail, then down Wolf Jaws and back to camp to pick up the gear and straight back to the parking lot.

We like to stop and smell the roses so to speak, but we can hustle too if need be...so at an average pace, how long should I expect the day hike to take, using the route given above? I'm hoping to be back to the Gardens parking lot by early evening.

Thought someone else might weigh in.

For me (age 62) that would certainly be a very full and exhausting day. Once you head out to Armstrong from Gothics you are committed to do Upper WolfJaw unless you can figure a route to bushwack down on one of the slides. You don't have to do Lower Wolfjaw.

Comment

About a month ago we hiked Basin,Saddleback,Gothics, Arm and UWJ from the garden. The round trip journey was about 13 hrs. We always stop to smell the roses and hustle when needed(at the end when you just want to be done)..

Comment

I wouldn't bother camping the night before. It's only about an hour in to JBL with day packs and you'll hate lugging your overnight gear out the next day and you'll have to detour back up-valley to go get it after the Wolf Jaws.

Once you've done Gothics, Armstrong and UWJ are minor climbs. The moment of truth will be when you are in Wolf Jaw Notch and have 600 vertical feet to climb to a viewless summit after you have tasted Gothics via the cable route.

I recently did AMR road to Sawteeth, Gothics and down to LWJ and out to the Garden in about 9 hours including a trip down from the notch to get water but I suffer from a nasal condition and have lost my sense of smell. I was alone, never hurried but almost never stopped either. Just cruised at a steady "all-day" pace.

You will probably get a later start than if you left from the Garden due to camping inertia and if there are 4 or more of you I would think that with stops you will be out for anywhere from 10 to 12 hours. You can always omit LWJ anyway.
        The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil View Post
          I wouldn't bother camping the night before. It's only about an hour in to JBL with day packs and you'll hate lugging your overnight gear out the next day and you'll have to detour back up-valley to go get it after the Wolf Jaws.
          Agreed, there is little benefit to hiking in the previous day unless you have a desire to camp out. Bear Brook and Deer Brook lean-to are about 1 miles and 1.5 miles on flat ground from the Garden parking lot.

Originally posted by Neil View Post
          Once you've done Gothics, Armstrong and UWJ are minor climbs. The moment of truth will be when you are in Wolf Jaw Notch and have 600 vertical feet to climb to a viewless summit after you have tasted Gothics via the cable route.
          LWJ isn't completely without a view. It has nice views west and southwest of Big Slide, the MacIntyre Range, and somewhat down the Great Range. Althought, it is nothing compared to the other three...

Originally posted by Drex View Post
          Part of my upcoming trip involves arriving at Gardens parking sometime mid/late day....
          The parking lot fills up quick, especially on weekends. You might not find anything mid/late day....

Comment

Would this be an easier day hike parking at St. Huberts?
            -------------------------
            Always let the wookie win.

Comment

Working...
            X