Climbing Upper Wolf Jaw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Climbing Upper Wolf Jaw

We're planning to climb Armstrong and Upper Wolf Jaw this fall. Is it better to ascend via the Wedge Brook Trail ( #33) hit Upper Wolf Jaw and Armstrong then descend via the Gothics trail (#34)? Or is the reverse a better route? We might try to get Lower Wolf Jaw as well if the conditions are right. We always prefer to make a loop but maybe that is not the way to go on this hike. Opinions? Thanks for your input.

My preference runs to LWJ, then UWJ, then Armstrong; I like saving the highest for last, feels anticlimactic the other way. Also, lots of the little rock scrambles on the trail are easier up than down. Finally, if you grab Lower first, you're more likely to do it. Many parties that plan to Lower on the way out are tired when they get to the col and elect to skip it.

Comment

Originally posted by TCD View Post
      ...Finally, if you grab Lower first, you're more likely to do it. Many parties that plan to Lower on the way out are tired when they get to the col and elect to skip it.
      Good point! That's what we did...but we had also come up over Pyramid and Gothics that day.
      Steve

Rule #6: Don't take yourself so G.D. seriously. There are no other rules. - Zander

Comment

If you go LWJ, UWJ, Armstrong, you will have to go up a ladder when ascending Armstong. If you go the other way, you will have to go down the ladder.

Also, there are steep sections going up UWJ from the LWJ/UWJ col and up Armstong from UWJ.

My preference would be to do LWJ, UWJ, Armstong (views improve as the day progresses) as other have suggested.

Either way, you will have no trail problems and enjoy the trip.

Comment

Do you need a trip ticket to climb these? I read this on a website about wolfjaw

"As of June 30th, 2001 all parties regardless of size in the Eastern Zone (High Peaks) of the Park must fill in and possess a self-issuing "trip ticket," which may be obtained at the trailhead. People have been fined and turned around for not having one and at the more popular trailheads the Ranger on duty will not let you pass without one. This can cause some delays in getting onto the trail."

The only thing I have ever done is signed the log books. Is that what they are talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by podolecgb View Post
            Do you need a trip ticket to climb these? I read this on a website about wolfjaw

"As of June 30th, 2001 all parties regardless of size in the Eastern Zone (High Peaks) of the Park must fill in and possess a self-issuing "trip ticket," which may be obtained at the trailhead. People have been fined and turned around for not having one and at the more popular trailheads the Ranger on duty will not let you pass without one. This can cause some delays in getting onto the trail."

The only thing I have ever done is signed the log books. Is that what they are talking about?
            No longer being used, as far as I know. Although you will occasionally still see signage about it at trailheads.
            Steve

Rule #6: Don't take yourself so G.D. seriously. There are no other rules. - Zander

Comment

Trip ticket system is no longer used.

It was misbegotten and unresourced to start with. After a couple years it was good for a laugh to see the boxes so overstuffed with tickets that you couldn't fit another one in, because no one was looking at them. Then the system just quietly disappeared.

JMHO, there was never any intent to gather data from this; just another scheme to intimidate.

Comment

The direction suggested above (multiple times) is a very good choice.

The other direction can offer a different advantage, depending on whether you're willing to make a very early start. One of the great things about the summit ledge on Armstrong is that you can see around 20 high peaks to the west and north on a clear day. If you're willing to hit the trail early enough to get to that summit ledge for sunrise (or within a few hours afterwards), you'll not only likely have the summit to yourselves, you'll catch the best views at a time when the mountains and skies look even more amazing. You'll also have lots of time afterwards to go further down the trail (e.g. LWJ), including as many rest stops as you want.

Not an option for everyone, but a rewarding one for those who like early morning scenery.

Comment

Working...
                X