Long and Rock Ponds from Speculator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long and Rock Ponds from Speculator

Anyone know the road and trail conditions of this hiking destination? Ok with a Honda CRV, which is really not an off-road vehicle?

Originally posted by adkayaker View Post
    Anyone know the road and trail conditions of this hiking destination? Ok with a Honda CRV, which is really not an off-road vehicle?
    I was there a couple weeks ago.
    The road is in good shape.

You'll be fine.
    ...at least to the 4-way intersection.

The last 100 yards of road just north of the 4-way intersection near the cabin is a little rough, with a couple deep puddles, but nothing major.

The worst section of trail is right at the beginning just beyond the register when you cross Cisco Brook. The old foot bridge no longer spans all the way across the brook, so you have to walk the last 10 feet or so across the beaver damn which could make for some wet feet.
    Other than that, piece of cake!
    Beautiful ponds!
    A new loop trail in that area too!

Comment

We did this last Friday (7/30) ... I would park at the "large" intersection & just walk from there ... it won't add much to your hike.

When you cross the outlet, you'll use the bridge most of the way, then you'll cross on the beaver dam. Someone has tied a long branch/stick that you can use as a handrail when crossing the beaver dam ... we did get our feet wet (but not much) while crossing.

Look for the heron nest in the tree at Rock Pond. We also watched loons here.

The Kunjamunk "valley" looks very inviting, so we're thinking of heading back and going to the river crossing and checking the area out. Looks like it could be a nice place for wildlife viewing (like maybe moose?).
      sigpic

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.

Comment

This sounds like a nice hike. Can someone give me information on the trail head and distance as I am not familiar with the trail?
        Thanks,
        Dan

Comment

Originally posted by kwc View Post
          Look for the heron nest in the tree at Rock Pond.
          I missed the heron nest, but I did see something in a tree at the far end of the pond. I couldn't quite make out what it was 'till I zoomed in on it...a deflated balloon maybe?
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Dan J View Post
            This sounds like a nice hike. Can someone give me information on the trail head and distance as I am not familiar with the trail?
            Thanks,
            Dan
            Hi Dan,
            Do you have any maps of the area around Speculator?
            If not, I would recommend picking one up.
            It may be a little confusing without one.
            It was for me anyway, and I had a map and a guidebook.
            The trail head is off of Elm Lake road, about 8 miles from Speculator.
            There are no signs to indicate where the trail head is, but it is at the end of the northern (straight ahead) fork at the 4-way dirt road intersection.
            Rock Pond is about 2.5 miles in, and Long Pond is about 3.5 miles.
            The new loop trail is about 10 miles (total), and I think it's around 9 or 10 miles to Round Pond and Big Brook Road.
            Last edited by Justin; 08-07-2010, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin View Post
              A new loop trail in that area too!
              I must have an old map; where is the loop?

Comment

Originally posted by Justin View Post
                I missed the heron nest, but I did see something in a tree at the far end of the pond. I couldn't quite make out what it was 'till I zoomed in on it...a deflated balloon maybe?
                I've found deflated balloons in the woods on a pretty regular basis. I'd say that's a pretty reasonable guess.

Originally posted by WiseFool View Post
                I must have an old map; where is the loop?
                The ADK trail crew cut a new trail in the area last summer. There is now a trail that leaves the nothern edge of rock pond, and takes you northeast to the Kunjamuk trail. You can return via this trail to the parking area.

Comment

Originally posted by DSettahr View Post
                  There is now a trail that leaves the nothern edge of rock pond, and takes you northeast to the Kunjamuk trail. You can return via this trail to the parking area.
                  Nice.

Do you (or anyone) happen to know if there is a fisherman's path around Rock Pond? Any formal or informal campsites? I know there is a site right as the trail leads to the shore, but any others?

Comment

Originally posted by WiseFool View Post
                    Nice.

Do you (or anyone) happen to know if there is a fisherman's path around Rock Pond? Any formal or informal campsites? I know there is a site right as the trail leads to the shore, but any others?
                    I don't know of any path or sites. If I remember correctly, all of the sites at Rock Pond and Long pond are technically illegal (not designated and are within 150 feet of the water) but are in common usage anyways.

Comment

Working...
                    X