Best/"easiest" most peaks in a day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best/"easiest" most peaks in a day?

Hi guys...its been awhile since I last posted (Colvin/Blake). I failed at grabbing both last year. This year I am in a little better shape but nowhere in shape where I should be. However I have desires to reach as many peaks as I can in 2 seperate days. I already have one day planned for Porter/Cascade...followed by some easy to reach waterfalls. The 2nd day I am up in arms as to where to go. Looking in the Santas or Dix. My figuring is that I could grab 3-4 peaks in a day as it will probably be another year before I can make it back. It seems that those that posted about the Dix say it is "easy" doable and a moderately timed hike. How good in shape are those of you that relate this? I dont want to bite off more than I can chew...and if I have to settle for another 2 peak day...I'm looking at Giant/RPR or Nippletop/Dial. Or I am definately open to any other suggestions. Thanks guys...and I've enjoyed reading all your posts over the year.
    Last edited by HobieK; 08-15-2010, 02:17 PM.

society, you're a crazy breed
    I hope you're not lonely without me
    society, crazy and deep

I realize I probably posted this in the wrong thread...but 52 views...and no insight?

society, crazy and deep

Comment

I do not know if you have done them already but if you are looking to do more than two in a day I would suggest Wright, Algonquin and Iroquois. Though the elevation gained seems like a lot if done as a loop via Avalanche lake this is a very rewarding hike.
      Also Gothics Armstrong and the Wolf Jaws is a nice multipeak hike.
      "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
      Ed Viesturs

Comment

Dixes and Lower Great Range come to mind for bagging as many peaks as you can for the minimal* effort. Dixes being a little harder for 4-5 peaks. I did 4 this way (I skipped East Dix when I did the Macomb, South Dix, Hough and Big Dix circuit many years ago).

From St. Huberts you can climb Lower Wolfjaw and continue up the range to Gothics and hit Sawteeth as well, or reverse direction. That loop gives 5 46er peaks.

From Keene Valley side you could continue on to Saddleback & Basin (no Sawteeth obviously)and head out JB Valley or you keep going but that would be a marathon day that would not be worth it to me.

For two days and a camp you could get the Marcy, Gray Skylight group in one day and Cliff & Redfield the next.

For me, after doing one of these 4-5 peak days I am pretty tired the next day and not really up for 2 big days in a row. That is just me though.

*minimal does not mean an easy day, just what is the most peaks I can get for the least effort in one day, everything is relative.
        **** Best Regards, John ****

Comment

jrbren...

How long would you say the 4 Dixes would take? Mileage and difficulty?

society, crazy and deep

Comment

Originally posted by adkjack View Post
            I do not know if you have done them already but if you are looking to do more than two in a day I would suggest Wright, Algonquin and Iroquois. Though the elevation gained seems like a lot if done as a loop via Avalanche lake this is a very rewarding hike.
            Also Gothics Armstrong and the Wolf Jaws is a nice multipeak hike.
            Agreed.

Other options include:
            Gothics, Armstong, Upper Wolf Jaw
            Phelps, Tabeltop, and if you want to push it Marcy
            Gaint and Rocky Ridge
            Dail and Nippletop
            Whiteface and Esther
            Street and Nye

For all those there isn't much elevation change between peaks, relatively speaking...

As adkjack said, I would go with Wright, Algonquin, and Iroquois. Nice trails and three close peaks.

Comment

It has been over 15 years since I did that circuit (wow, time flies !), but I recall from Elk Lake TH, Macomb, South Dix, Hough and Dix and return via Hunter's Pass (recommended, very wild place) was an all day affair, let's say 10-12 hours.

East Dix would add 1.5-2 more hours from South Dix, preferably 2 since East Dix is a VERY nice summit, be sure to wander a couple hundred yards further down from the true summit, there are some fantastic views north & east over some cliffs. This one made sense to me to save for another day, I would not want to be rushed on it.

Another Option would be to do Macomb, South Dix and East Dix and Save Hough and Dix for another day. I think that was in the 8-10 hour ball park.
              I did this with a friend and his group of high school students (a dozen or so) several years ago. This is a little shorter and easier then the Macomb, South Dix, Hough and Dix circuit.

My info is pretty stale though. The herd paths may have gotten easier to follow (beaten down and widened by years of hiker traffic) or tougher (blow down). I don't know the mileages and elevation gains, would have to study the map, but the route just follows the ridge lines between the peaks.

Although the trails were well trodden and easy to follow at that time I did them, they are not maintained up & over Macomb, South Dix, Hough and East Dix, so you want to be able to use map and compass in case you get off route.

Be aware of possible false herd paths coming off of Macomb towards South Dix we had go back track following one the petered out and lost at least 30 minutes or more. This was in the early 1990's.

This web site has some very good info.
              A guide and trip repository of the Central High Peaks of the Adirondack Mountains of New York State, with a focus on the 'Adirondack 46R' peaks. A general resource for climbing peaks in this region.

Also note East Dix and South Dix are up for rename (this has been going on for years, I thought I heard it was a done deal, but maybe not):
              The Grace Peak Committee of the Forty-Sixers is developing a proposal that the High Peaks of East Dix be named Grace Peak in honor of Grace Hudowalski and South Dix be named Carson Peak in honor of Russell M. L. Carson.

I also recommend Barbara Mc Martin's books:
              This website is for sale! hiketheadirondacks.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, hiketheadirondacks.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

But I do not remember which one covers the Dix range.
              **** Best Regards, John ****

Comment

You could also go back and try Colvin and Blake again.
                Rumor has it that they've installed a couple ladders on the "back side" of Colvin. And it has been dry, so mud shouldn't be an issue on Blake.
                Steve

Rule #6: Don't take yourself so G.D. seriously. There are no other rules. - Zander

Comment

PAridgerunner-thanks but no thanks. I'm still at odds with the road walk lol. I might be saving Colvin/Blake for 45/46.

I might try Macomb, South and East Dix. I like the idea of the slide.

Still open to any other suggestions as well.

society, crazy and deep

Comment

Working...
                  X