Mt. Allen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mt. Allen

I'm planning a solo hike to do Allen on Saturday.. It's my first solo peak and I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't concerned about getting lost, turned around, etc. I plan on starting just before or at dawn to give me as much daylight as possible. Looks like about an 8 mile trip. I'm figuring on doing the first 5 miles of trail in about 3 hours and the unmaintained trail to Allen in about 4 hours. I plan on dropping an hour on the way down... so about 13 hours plus an hour of rest stops during the day...

Any feedback about finding the initial trail that comes off the Opalescent river trail? I don't have a GPS, but would buy one for this trip.

Of course, I'll plan on bringing enough food, clothes and a light shelter in case I stray off course and have to spend the night in the woods.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
    thanks,

"Sometimes you've got to get mad..... Mad Dog mad..."
    Clint Eastwood

ADK 46er #4969

Honestly, I do not have details about the trail but i did Allen as a solo hike a few years ago with no GPS and I did not get lost. I started about 7 and was out of the woods by 5. That included a nice stop at the bottom of the slide to soak my tired feet in the cold brook. I do not consider myself a fast hiker. Coming down the slide can be tricky; many spots have a slippery brown slime. I did the hike mid week. Only 1 other person on the trail who started about 30 minutes before me. It was a long hike and part of the trail are drop dead boring. I wished I had taken my ipod with me for some tunes. Its a long day don;t be intimidated have a good time

carol

Comment

If possible see this thread on the ADKHP site:

It has some of the info you're looking for.

Also, check out all of the trip reports that are posted on this site
      (e.g. http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=13681) and the ADKHP one.

The crossing for the Opalescent is marked with flagging.
      The Allen herdpath is marked with a large, unique wooden sign.
      The herdpath in general is often marked with yellow plastic disks, and is not too hard to follow even when there are no markers.

The return descent can be a little slow due to the slippery red slime on some of the rocks you descend. Other than the slide the route is pretty level, so you may be able to cover much of the distance in good time.

Enjoy the walk!

Comment

thanks for the input. Nice TR from your hike.. Weather should be good. I'm looking forward to kickin' this one off.. this gives me 43 and i'm knocking off Marshall, Couchie and Ester in Sept..
        "Sometimes you've got to get mad..... Mad Dog mad..."
        Clint Eastwood

ADK 46er #4969

Comment

Working...
        X