Ha-De Ron-Dah Wilderness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ha-De Ron-Dah Wilderness

Taking my first trip to the Ha-De Ron-Dah Wilderness area this weekend for a 1-night stay. Anyone have any recommendations? I just bought the Discover the Southwestern Adirondacks today and will be reading it tonight/tomorrow. I know middle branch and middle settlement are favorites with the lean-to. There is also Big Otter Lake, Pine Lake, Lost Creek, East Pond, Blackfoot Pond, Lost Lake. Looking for a nice spot near the water.

This loop http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=8440 might be doable.

Seems I'm having a hard time getting away from the water hikes in the SW portion of the park.
    “Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.”

~John Muir

Photos

middle branch is awesome. feels very remote.
    He found himself wondering at times, especially in the autumn, about the wild lands, and strange visions of mountains that he had never seen came into his dreams.

Comment

Hey, that reminds me-wonder if the DEC guys have finished the new bridge across the outlet end of Big Otter....eh, prob, be talking to 1 or 2 of of 'em today, anyway.

Yeah, better chance for an unoccupied lean-to @ Middle Branch.
      --"Pete You***?!, Pete You***'s grandson?!...That name is nearly sacred & uttered with awe in THIS house!" : The late Dr. Reed's wife, upon entering her house & being introduced- so to converse with her husband about the old days, a little before he died. The kind of greeting you'll never forget & reinforces your image of the hero you never met. --

Comment

Originally posted by pondhopper View Post
        Hey, that reminds me-wonder if the DEC guys have finished the new bridge across the outlet end of Big Otter....eh, prob, be talking to 1 or 2 of of 'em today, anyway..
        Well I hope it is constructed only as a foot bridge to prevent ATV passage. Not sure of the legal status of the truck road leading into there today, but it has been up and down regarding legal ATV access. When I was last there ATVs used that area as their playground and though at the time they could legally ride the road in, they commonly illegally headed off into the numerous old side logging trails. A couple of years ago I was hiking up the east side of Big O and witnessed ATVs roaring their machines at high speed actually in the lake for some distance along the western shore. The bottom must be shallow and sandy there. How annoying.
        "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Working...
        X