Five Ponds Wilderness Hike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pondhopper View Post
    The beach has been much smaller for the past two years, due to tenacious beavers on the outlet. Used to worry that it would effect reproduction in the spawning creek, but the population's still, going crazy (too much).
    The beach is still mighty fine. It's about as wide as an Old Town Penobscot (17 feet) in most places. Narrower in others. But still a mighty fine beach! Didn't happen to get in a fishing while I was there. Ask the "Limber" about the fishing, he might have wet a line.

The leanto there is in might fine shape these days. Those darned leanto elves returned and replaced three side logs that had seen better days. It might not be real evident, but the leanto is also a couple inches higher now as the four corners are now sitting on right handsome new mortared stone foundations. Oh yeah, the outhouse got moved over the top of a brand new hole, too.

The beavers are active, but they've created nothing yet that can't be carried over.

Ordin
    Last edited by Ordin Aryguy; 09-09-2007, 08:09 PM. Reason: missed an " n't "
    They speak of my drinking, but never of my thirst...

Comment

Originally posted by Ordin Aryguy View Post
      The area immediately around the Wolf Pond leanto is like that. Looking out from the leanto, towards the pond, it's difficult to see where there was any storm damage. However, just a few feet behind the leanto there's now a sizable hole up towards the sky that giant trees once kept closed. Only a few yards separate untouched from obliterated.
      I have to modify that statement a little bit. There is evidence of blowdown looking forward out of the Wold Pond leanto. My memory certainly isn't what what it should be, nor even close to what it was. That's probably evidence of a misspent youth. Anyhow, there's one BIG tree that fell in front of the leanto, but the overwhelming damage is behind, like immediately behind, the leanto.

Took a hike out there this morning from Sand Lake with some of the other "leanto elves" just to refresh my memory, and to take some pic's because my memory occasionally needed to be kick-started.

Ordin

Comment

The beach is still mighty fine. It's about as wide as an Old Town Penobscot (17 feet) in most places. Narrower in others. But still a mighty fine beach! Didn't happen to get in a fishing while I was there. Ask the "Limber" about the fishing, he might have wet a line.

The beavers are active, but they've created nothing yet that can't be carried over.

Ordin
        Yeah, there's still, a nice beach- just smaller than it's been for a number of years in the past. I didn't get what you were hinting at, or I *might've* popped in this weekend. Did the "Limber" have the "Kenton" along? Limber will always wet the fishin' line, given the chance ps- I thought he was doin' the staining (?).

Sorry for the off topic.
        --"Pete You***?!, Pete You***'s grandson?!...That name is nearly sacred & uttered with awe in THIS house!" : The late Dr. Reed's wife, upon entering her house & being introduced- so to converse with her husband about the old days, a little before he died. The kind of greeting you'll never forget & reinforces your image of the hero you never met. --

Comment

Did the "Limber" have the "Kenton" along? Limber will always wet the fishin' line, given the chance ps- I thought he was doin' the staining (?).

Sorry for the off topic.
          I'll try to stay on topic, too.

Not sure what or who a Kenton might be, but he had along a man that cooks one might fine meal at a campfire. Grilled chicken, salt potatoes, and "the sweetest corn in Lewis County." Sam and I were darned lucky and incredibly happy that there was plenty left by the time we paddled in at dark Friday night.

Just staining? Those guys are well beyond that point. They've helped out with a number of leanto log replacements now and are as capable as anyone at getting it done right. Probably more capable. Those two guys are good.

All of the Five Ponds Wilderness leanto's are all now in just about the best shape they've ever been in. With luck and some care they'll stay this way for a very long time.

Oh yeah, the topic, plenty of old growth to see between Sand Lake and Wolf. Good trail to hike and very scenic lakes on both ends.

Ordin

Comment

Just staining? Those guys are well beyond that point. They've helped out with a number of leanto log replacements now and are as capable as anyone at getting it done right. Probably more capable. Those two guys are good.Ordin
            I realize that. I meant that I thought, staining was almost, exclusively, being done by them. Doesn't matter, just was a curiosity.

QUOTE=Ordin Aryguy;76918]All of the Five Ponds Wilderness leanto's are all now in just about the best shape they've ever been in. With luck and some care they'll stay this way for a very long time.
            Ordin[/QUOTE]

Awesome work! & thanks go to everyone involved.

On topic (although, lean-to repair qualifies): some nice old growth in places, between Rock & Sand. & some nice sized- white pine sentinels, down Sand's outlet a little ways. Faded paint on the Watson's East/Totten-Crossfield Line makes Colvin's "Elusive Corner", elusive again.
            --"Pete You***?!, Pete You***'s grandson?!...That name is nearly sacred & uttered with awe in THIS house!" : The late Dr. Reed's wife, upon entering her house & being introduced- so to converse with her husband about the old days, a little before he died. The kind of greeting you'll never forget & reinforces your image of the hero you never met. --

Comment

Yeah, there's still, a nice beach- just smaller than it's been for a number of years in the past.
              There's still a fine beach at Sand Lake. Plenty fine for swimming and lounging and such. Here're some pics of the beach from last weekend's trip up that way.

The view toward the Rock Lake esker from the leanto trail...

The view toward the South from the leanto trail...

This just some ordinary guy standing next to a 12' root ball that's right next to the Wolf Lake leanto. Some giant trees were toppled around there in '95!

Ordin
              Last edited by Ordin Aryguy; 09-30-2007, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Nice pics, Ordin. (!) Used to be dry, at the sand line, behind the canoes in the first pic. That's Sitz mountain in the second pic, towards South Ponds & there's a mystery on top (won't reveal it here). The third pic: there was a guide w/clients from a bushwhack past Riley Ponds at the Wolf lean-to, when the Microburst hit and trees fell nearby. And I recognize the "Limbermobile" in the first pic- it's seen a lot of country & Limber must have @ least 200 bag nights paid for this year alone (the dirty rat).

Comment

Nice pics, Ordin. (!) Used to be dry, at the sand line, behind the canoes in the first pic. That's Sitz mountain in the second pic, towards South Ponds & there's a mystery on top (won't reveal it here). The third pic: there was a guide w/clients from a bushwhack past Riley Ponds at the Wolf lean-to, when the Microburst hit and trees fell nearby. And I recognize the "Limbermobile" in the first pic- it's seen a lot of country & Limber must have @ least 200 bag nights paid for this year alone (the dirty rat).

Show off!

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Farrell View Post
                    Show off!
                    (just in fun)

Comment

that's what she calls me.

Comment

Used to be dry, at the sand line, behind the canoes in the first pic.
                        Even with the beavers raising the lake level some, it's a tremendous beach!

The one pic that I wished I'd have taken, and missed the opportunity to, was early Saturday morning. There were a few that couldn't stay through till Sunday who took off Saturday after breakfast. Before they left there were 6 canoes on the beach, including the solo Hornbeck that's upside down, just off the beach, in the first pic. That had to be the first time in history, at least since the area became a Wilderness Area, that that many canoes were on that lake at the same time.

Sitz Mountain. Now you've got me curious. Might have to bushwack up there sometime.

Ordin

Comment

That had to be the first time in history, at least since the area became a Wilderness Area, that that many canoes were on that lake at the same time.

Sitz Mountain. Now you've got me curious. Might have to bushwack up there sometime.

Ordin
                          I'd agree that it probably, was the first time that many canoes were on it @ one time. Back in the 1980ish range, I passed by some kind of Christian group @ the Lean-to, while en route to Wolf, who were the first people I witnessed coming all the way up the outlet w/canoes (been plenty, since then). They had @ least 4 full sized canoes, maybe more- can't remember. I don't know, if you ever saw the old row boat to the right, going downstream @ the first stillwater, BELOW the normal take-out pt., but that's one my father made & had my older brothers take up in 1961. It's no good & washed down there (it'd be in tall grass).

I don't think, "the mystery" on Sitz Mt. is interesting enough to warrant a bushwhack. Just a very small/hard to find- curiosity.

Comment

Missed the rowboat. The grass is tall in that are and, truth be told, I really wasn't looking for anything to be around there. Saw a few big beaver lodges, but no boats.

I've often wondered how many boats are stashed up around those ponds. Hundreds? Thousands? Every pond probably has at least one and there are lots of ponds.

Not sure where the "normal" take out point is either. No place around there is real convenient. However, every place around there is worth the effort!!

Ordin

Comment

Sand Lake

S"Limber" can't catch fish . . even on a Zebco 202 and cartons of worms from Nice 'N Slezy!

All the trees in the Five Ponds blew down, the lean to's are decrepit, and the ponds are full of chubs and perch.

We have no idea how this lean-to got maintained. Stay away from this place, its infested with flies, mosquitos, scorpions and brown stain covers everything.

PS. Lean2Rescue was here!

'Ev
                              Attached Files
                              "The trail is what it is. If it goes up, over, under -- there is the choice to follow it or not. As for weather, it will be what it will be. One cannot choose conditions, only to hike or not to hike." AT Thru-Hiker

Comment

Originally posted by forevrwyld View Post

Lean2Rescue was here!

'Ev

Oooh, so you're one of those bandito's that's been re-arranging all the "character and ambiance" right out of the Five Ponds leanto's. You and your kind should be downright ashamed of yourselves. Rotted logs, full-to-the-top outhouses, leaky roofs, and missing floors all added to the charm of those old places.... What do you have to say for yourself, young man???

Some more pics of this horrific leanto character assassination....

Ordin

p.s. I'll cook you a bratwurst or two at the next character rearranging, ambience wrecking event. Can't break the routine now.
                                Last edited by Ordin Aryguy; 09-14-2007, 03:30 PM. Reason: added link

Comment

Working...
                                X