Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Gear, Food, and Survival Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2016, 12:58 PM   #1
dundee

Freeze dried at home?

I know that freeze-drying food is an expensive and complicated process, but are there units for home use? Would they be at all affordable?
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:53 PM   #2
crkmeup

Take a look at freezer bag cooking and dehydrating. A home dehydrator with a fan will cost you about $80.

I make my backpacking meals myself mostly out of dinners I already make for my family. I take the leftovers and dehydrate them,package them in quart sized ziploc, label them, and store them in the freezer. In camp I cover with boiling water, place is a padded envelope mailer for insulation, and wait 5-10 minutes. I eat out of the bag.

This method pays for itself after your first few trips. You get the food exactly the way you enjoy it.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:03 PM   #3
Trail Boss

Search for "home freeze dryer".

Here's the first result: https://harvestright.com/

It's not in the same price bracket as a home dehydrator ... and for good reason (it has to create a vacuum so moisture can sublimate out of the food).
Old 04-28-2017, 08:03 AM   #4
general posts

As far as a freeze dryer I do not have experience, but what little research I have done has resulted in expensive units.

I second what crkmeup stated about dehydrating. I mostly take left overs as well and dehydrate those. It is much tastier and not as sodium ridden as the store bought brands of freeze dried food. Once in the bags, I store them in my freezer for longer shelf life.

I also make my own jerky and you can also dehydrate your own herbs etc. During the colder months I use it to bring my bread dough to temp while it rises. I also like to take leftover garlic bread, dehydrate that into little croutons and bring those with me on trips to mix in with my meals to give them a little crunch. They go great with chili as well as spaghetti and meatballs.

I have a 9 drawer Excalibur and I love it. It has a timer and a thermostat. If you decide to make the investment, I highly suggest you get one with thermostatic control. It is much more versatile.
general posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:50 AM   #5
Hobbitling
spring fever

that bread dough idea is fantastic.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:11 PM   #6
dundee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
Search for "home freeze dryer".

Here's the first result: https://harvestright.com/

It's not in the same price bracket as a home dehydrator ... and for good reason (it has to create a vacuum so moisture can sublimate out of the food).
Saw the "Save $900+" and backed off right there. I'm already drying some foods; I'll stick to that.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:38 AM   #7
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

I just came home from a trip last night.
I had brought home dried leftover Hunan Chicken (extra spicy) and leftover Chipotle chicken burrito bowl (minus the bowl).
I also brought home dried bananas and mangos, as well as breakfasts consisting of scrambled eggs, cheddar cheese, grits and ham.

The fruit was dried in an inexpensive dryer (gift from daughter).
Everything else was dried in my oven at 170F, the lowest setting.

No excessive sodium, no exorbitant costs, tons of flavor, exactly suited to MY tastes.

No better way to go, IMHO.