Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Gear, Food, and Survival Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2017, 12:54 PM   #21
electbc
Outdoorsman

A few of us did a hot tenting trip this past January. Bioguide already had a Snowtrekker, Greenfrog bought one and now Coldfeet purchased one also. I am in the process of setting a scout summer camp wall tent for use as a hot tent. So this is something that is starting to gain momentum in the Adks. Canoetripping.net added a Winter camping thread as several of us are on the East coast. Bushcraftusa has a winter camping thread, again several members are on the East coast. I see more Hot tenting trips coming in the future.

Last edited by electbc; 05-25-2017 at 12:00 AM..
electbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:05 PM   #22
Pauly D.

I got a Snowtrekker a couple of years ago thanks to Bioguide and his videos. I took it out for the first time this year. What an enjoyable experience! No more sitting around all Winter waiting for Spring to arrive. All that gear definitely weighs a lot more than a non-heated tent but the comfort and relaxing ambience of the stove makes it totally worth it. Looking forward to more adventures next Winter.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:53 AM   #23
electbc
Outdoorsman

Now all we need are fall trips to stash firewood.
electbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:12 AM   #24
tenderfoot

I looked long and hard at hot tenting and am still interested in it. Someone mentioned Kifaru, there is also SeekOutside. Super lightweight single wall tipi's manufactured with a stove jack. And I like the looks of the liteoutdoors stove. Not heavy at all.

I have seen Hot Tents at the Adirondack Loj campground in winter with car campers. To come back from the trails to someplace warm and having the ability to dry gear out seems great.

Recently my money went into a 4 season hammock rig but I still think about the hot tents. There is a hammock hot tent too but it looks heavier than the SeekOutside option.

There was one gentleman who had a vinyl door on his snowtrekker. Had a video of watching the snow fall on a lake while inside sipping hot chocolate next to his stove. Nice.

Heck - the SeekOutside shelter are so simple and light I have seriously thought about picking one up for kids sporting events and such. My daughter runs track and they will have an all day even in wind/drizzle when it is 50 or so out. Pulling a tent out of your pocket would be nifty - even without the stove.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:20 AM   #25
Fly Rodder

I have a seek outside 8-man tipi and a hill people gear large wood stove. The stove isn't manufactured anymore, though they're trying to restart production.

A nest is handy for summer tenting, to keep creepy-crawlies out, but I've noticed that most flying insects generally just congregate in the peak. For winter hot tenting during hunting season, the stove won't burn all night even with decent beech blow-down. At best it's good for a few hours. So, what I've done in the past is fill the stove with wood, damp it down, and then build a little firekit with tinder and kindling ready to go for the AM. That way, I can reach an arm out of the sleeping bag, put the firekit in the stove and light it from bed.

It's damn nice to be able to come in from the cold, fire up the stove, and be sitting in a t-shirt while it's 15F outside.

An 8-man is also a good size for up to three cots; which are easy enough to pull in a pulk.
Fly Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote