Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Gear, Food, and Survival Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2017, 04:09 AM   #1
Chipps79

Camp Security

Hi folks! I was hoping I could ask for a bit of advice off of everybody on the forum. I am going to be doing quite a bit of wild camping this summer with the fiance. However, she is a little worried about security while we are out in the sticks for the night and this could prove to be a deal breaker. (It took me long enough to convince her to try camping in the first place, so I need to pander to her whims unfortunately, you know how it is.) So I did a Google search for camping security systems and I came across the Bright Strike CAPSS3, which looks like it would fit the bill for what I would probably need to keep the girlfriend happy at the very least. It looks lightweight, fit for purpose and having watched a few review videos on YouTube, it has got good ratings and comes recommended. But I was just wondering if anybody else has had any experience of using it. I would love to hear your opinions before making a decision. What are your general opinions? Any advice or pointers would be much appreciated, so please feel free to let me know what you think. I’ll look forward to hearing your thoughts. Thanks in advance everybody.

Last edited by Chipps79; 05-07-2017 at 04:20 AM..
Chipps79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:13 AM   #2
geogymn

Have you read the customer reviews on sites that sell it, like Amazon?
Old 05-04-2017, 10:15 AM   #3
AvalanchePass

How remote are your sites going to be?

Would be pretty annoying for potential neighbors if tripped by a squirrel.

From the review that contains the linked image:

"Once pulled out, the 135db alarm sounds until the pin is replaced or the battery wears out. How loud is that? Just a touch quieter than a jet engine at about 100 feet away. Suffice to say, this alarm will get your attention when it goes off."
AvalanchePass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:27 PM   #4
JerseyHighlander

I'm confused, (honestly I think this is probably click bait, trying to sell another product), but... if you're afraid to be out in the woods, what are you going to do when the "alarm" goes off? How does the noise provide "security"?
JerseyHighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:11 PM   #5
real3175

I personally feel safer in the woods than I do in any suburban area - but understand her concern. Camping in a group is a huge deterrent but if its just the two of you, I would suggest maybe pepper spray and a good sized hiking stick. Also, if properly licensed, state forests and forest preserves are legal to conceal carry - do your research of where you'll be ahead of time to avoid uncertainty.
real3175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 04:25 AM   #6
Chipps79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipps79 View Post
Hi folks! I was hoping I could ask for a bit of advice off of everybody on the forum. I am going to be doing quite a bit of wild camping this summer with the fiance. However, she is a little worried about security while we are out in the sticks for the night and this could prove to be a deal breaker. (It took me long enough to convince her to try camping in the first place, so I need to pander to her whims unfortunately, you know how it is.) So I did a search on http://www.for-sale.co.uk/ for camping security systems and I came across the Bright Strike CAPSS3, which looks like it would fit the bill for what I would probably need to keep the girlfriend happy at the very least. It looks lightweight, fit for purpose and having watched a few review videos on YouTube, it has got good ratings and comes recommended. But I was just wondering if anybody else has had any experience of using it. I would love to hear your opinions before making a decision. What are your general opinions? Any advice or pointers would be much appreciated, so please feel free to let me know what you think. Iíll look forward to hearing your thoughts. Thanks in advance everybody.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
Have you read the customer reviews on sites that sell it, like Amazon?
Yeah, but I thought it would be a good idea to ask around. A lot of Amazon reviews can be fake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvalanchePass View Post
How remote are your sites going to be?

Would be pretty annoying for potential neighbors if tripped by a squirrel.

From the review that contains the linked image:

"Once pulled out, the 135db alarm sounds until the pin is replaced or the battery wears out. How loud is that? Just a touch quieter than a jet engine at about 100 feet away. Suffice to say, this alarm will get your attention when it goes off."

We don't intend being close enough to civilization for it to annoy anyone. And I think this thing is geared towards large predators. The tripwire would be to far off the ground for a squirrel to trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyHighlander View Post
I'm confused, (honestly I think this is probably click bait, trying to sell another product), but... if you're afraid to be out in the woods, what are you going to do when the "alarm" goes off? How does the noise provide "security"?
Because it would scare away predators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by real3175 View Post
I personally feel safer in the woods than I do in any suburban area - but understand her concern. Camping in a group is a huge deterrent but if its just the two of you, I would suggest maybe pepper spray and a good sized hiking stick. Also, if properly licensed, state forests and forest preserves are legal to conceal carry - do your research of where you'll be ahead of time to avoid uncertainty.
Thanks for the pointers.

Last edited by Chipps79; 05-10-2017 at 02:25 AM..
Chipps79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:43 AM   #7
Trail Boss

Interesting situation.

A person is so mortified of bears that a trip-wire and alarm are required.
A bear, or deer, activates the alarm and is scared away.
The alarm also awakens the individual.
Who is now doubly mortified.
What are the odds this individual will fall asleep again?
What are the odds the camping trip is over the following morning?

Get it if you feel it will help her experience at least one night in the woods. Alternately, explain that the vast majority of campers don't use alarm systems because if you follow "bear mitigation" guidelines, you're unlikely to be disturbed by one.

See "Bear Mitigation":
http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=23488

Relevant discussion:
http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=23613
Old 05-07-2017, 09:00 AM   #8
Bob K

Go camping!

Get it for your GF's peace of mind. While I know nothing of this device, if that is what it takes to enable enjoying the outdoors overnight, its a small price to pay. Plenty of places to go and enjoy privacy & nature. Critters are after food (not you), so do what is required to keep a clean camp and store food properly. Very few people who camp are bother by anything or anyone. I have yet to have hung food disturbed or see a bear in the woods. Avoid lean-tos if you don't want to see (or hear) mice at night, or want privacy.

A tent provides a sense of security. Consider sleeping with foam earplugs to reduce anxiety from noises (wind, falling pine needles on tent or tarp, small critters). Probably pepper spray is the best active protection you can bring.

Most people need a few trips and overnights to really relax in the woods. Once comfortable, hard to loose that feeling. This per my wife, who really enjoys camping now. Canoe or even "primitive" car camping will allow bringing some luxuries such as fresh food & wine.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:37 PM   #9
JerseyHighlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipps79 View Post

Because it would scare away predators.

After well over 50 close up encounters with bears, I can tell you this from experience. Most bears, especially the bigger/older ones, couldn't care less about noisemakers. I've had to call a cease fire at the rifle range when a large mama bear decided to walk her cubs across the field while high power rifles were going off from 20 different shooting positions just 50 yards away. I've watched my neighbors try to scare them off with air horns, banging metal garbage can lids, car horns etc and they don't even flinch much less go running off. Probably the sound they find most disturbing is that of a branch snapping, like it was stepped on by another large predator they can't see. The other thing they really don't like is dogs, real dogs, not those pocket sized pompom things. But that can go both ways depending on the situation.

If it makes her feel better, buy the gadget thing and just take the batteries out before you put it up. She doesn't have to know.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:29 AM   #10
Vinegar

I have your solution.

Get this device. Remove the batteries. Set it up as normal. Voila.
Vinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 01:08 PM   #11
tenderfoot

I like the no-batteries solution.

I can't help but think of it like a car alarm. Sure, it may have startled the thief but unless you are coming out to turn it off the neighbors are ticked off. Yes, I would expect you to get out of your tent and turn this device off as soon after the immediate threat was gone as possible. Designated campsites in the ADK usually are sort of grouped together.

First time camping my wife zipped up the tent, turns to me and asks "how do you lock it?"

I would use the money to purchase a bear barrel, let her read the reviews on that and understand that although yes bears are a predator, they behave more like scavengers.

My daughter and I have had bear in camp both times we visited Massasauga in Canada. First time we did not know until we saw scat the next day. Second trip I saw him but she did not. We both agreed the first time was much better. And yes, we are going back.

And if you go with the conceal carry option please ask bear for ID to confirm it actually is a bear and than check your back stop. If I am trying to find a private place to pee at 3am and wander close to your site I do not need another hole to complete my mission.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:10 PM   #12
JerseyHighlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderfoot View Post
I like the no-batteries solution.

And if you go with the conceal carry option please ask bear for ID to confirm it actually is a bear and than check your back stop. If I am trying to find a private place to pee at 3am and wander close to your site I do not need another hole to complete my mission.
That's hilarious and too damn true. I am a hardware advocate myself, but not so much for other people, for exactly that reason.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:28 AM   #13
Fly Rodder

I used to be a bit nervous when sitting in the middle of the forest alone and in the dark. Thinking of all the things that could happen. Murderers, plunderers, and thieves, etc.

Then I went bushwhacking one night after dark and realized what a giant pain in the A it is to go anywhere after dark. That would have to be one helluva motivated murderer. Certainly not a crime of opportunity when you're sleeping miles from a trailhead.

Animals are another story, but if you keep a clean camp, there's not much to worry about. Though mice can sound like a herd of elephants when they're rummaging through leaf litter at 3am. Bring ear plugs.
Fly Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote