Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2018, 10:29 PM   #1
NHtroutster

Wader Recommendations

Does anyone out there get the sense that wading gear (like just about everything else) just ain't made like they once were? I had a pair of felt-soled boot waders from Cabela's that lasted 6 years without a leak. In fact, I replaced the felt soles twice, and tossed them only after creases and abrasions at the knees finally gave way.

Last year I bought the exact same model from Cabela's (little over $100), and they immediately leaked. Cabela's replaced them and the replacements leaked again. So I upgraded to a Cabela's sock foot style with separate wading boots (about $275 for the whole get up), and the waders leaked after about the 10th use. And yup, the replacements have leaked again when I was chasing steelies a month ago.

Cabela's has been great with replacing all these recent leakers, but does anyone have a good recommendation to share? Not necessarily interested in decking myself out with $500+ waders to look the part of "fashion-istas", but this is getting ridiculous!?!
NHtroutster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:48 AM   #2
gmorin71

I agree. I have been frustrated with my LL bean waders. Leak after leak after leak after leak.

Lee Wulff
gmorin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:17 AM   #3
RipVanWinkle

The entry level waders from orvis held up very well for me after years of bushwacking in them. I got them 10 years ago so Im not sure how they are still.
RipVanWinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:48 PM   #4
EagleCrag

I have a pair of stocking foot waders from Simms. One of their less expensive models and they have held up well. They supposedly have a great warranty dept but I haven't had need to check it out.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 01:21 PM   #5
wildbrookies

Thank you for reminding me. Like gmorin,I have yet another pair of L.L.Bean waders and I even upgraded to one of their more expensive stocking foot waders and after only a couple seasons they are leaking down the left leg. Frustrating ,but with proof of purchase I guess I`ll get them replaced yet again.Ugh...:banged: Hope this helps.
Also, anybody ever try Patagonia`s waders? I was thinking of trying them at some point.
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 05:42 PM   #6
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

I'm really down on LL Bean waders. Also Orvis.

I have a high end pair of Patagonia waders that are heavy but bomb-proof. I also have a lightweight pair of Reddington stocking foot waders that I use for float tubing when I backpack in (replacement for the Orvis which were a replacement for LL Bean's, both replaced under warranty).

The Reddingtons seem to be holding up well. There. I probably just jinxed myself by saying that.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:27 PM   #7
wildbrookies

Yah you did!
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 11:11 PM   #8
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

Waders can be problematic, but, making sure of a good fit is paramount. not just large with a size 11 boot. Leg length is critical. To long and they bunch up , rub and wear excessively. To short , and you put to much stress on the crotch, you definitely don't want leaks there. in April.
I'm 6'3 210 lbs, size 13 foot, I've had 2 pair of Simms over the years, stockingfoot XL Long w/ 13 foot the Guide model and the G3's. First pair I used 10+ years and the G3's I've been using 4 years now.
Oh, and wash them once and a while, goretex and other waterproof breathables only work when their clean. Use Nixwax or other products made for cleaning waterproof breathables and wash them in the bathtub, I do mine inside out too.

John M.
Connecticut Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:23 PM   #9
Klinkhamer

My brother has a pair of Patagonia's that are over 17 years old now. I know this because he bought them shortly before my son was born. He's had to seal a couple small leaks, probably from thorns or an errant fly hook, but by and large they've done the job. I have a pair of Dan Bailey's that are over 4 years old now and have held up really well. We both do our share of travelling through plenty of bushes in them to get to streams. I hang mine up by the feet consistently after each outing to air them out. I honestly think my next pair will be Patagonia.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:07 PM   #10
Glen
Check please

Not the cheapest out there but I've never been let down by an Simm's product.
“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
― Cormac McCarthy
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:52 PM   #11
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
Not the cheapest out there but I've never been let down by an Simm's product.
Maybe that's because you typically wear them over your head.