Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > GPS Navigation, Maps, and Orienteering
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2005, 07:08 PM   #1
starbaby

garmin GPS hardware problem

Anyone have the same problem as this with their Garmin GPS?

I have a garmin Vista GPS. For the most part, as far as it's use as a GPS is concerned, I am extremely happy with it. However, I have had the following strange problem with the unit itself. Surrounding the unit, there is a black rubber gasket that covers all the buttons and gives your hands something to grip when you use it. During the first year that I owned this unit, the adhesive that holds that rubber surrround to the unit itself decomposed and stopped adhering to the rest of the unit. I sent the unit back to Garmin and they fixed it at no charge, under their warranty terms. However, within another year, the problem reoccured.

The problem seems to be intiated by heat, for example when I have the unit sitting in the sunshine while I use it for a few hours in a canoe on a clear day. According to the manufacturer specs., I am no where near the max rated temperature, but it does seem as though the heat is messing up the adhesive. This occurs, even if I keep the unit in the shade on the canoe (while the canoe is in the sun). This is a bummer since the temps I am talking about are like 90 degrees F and there is no way, sitting in a canoe on a clear day, that I can keep the unit less than 80 degrees because of the long term direct sun (even if I keep the unit in the shade on the canoe).

Anyone else have this problem? If so, has garmin given you any advice other than keeping the unit out of temperatures over 90 degrees F?

SB

Last edited by starbaby; 03-12-2005 at 02:53 PM..
starbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 05:56 AM   #2
JJW

Howdy,
My Garmin Vista is 3 1/2 years old and so far the black rubber has stayed tight.

I do know one Vista owner who used "black RTV silicone" to glue his rubber back on.
It work quite well and the rubber has not gotten loose yet.

I did have the problem with my Vista shutting down on me.
To solve that, I cut a rubberband into a short strip, then slid it behind the battery contacts.

Good Luck,
John
JJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 02:52 PM   #3
starbaby

Yes,

I've been thinking about the RTV option for a while too. I'm glad that someone has tried it. JJW, do you know if he silicone RTVd it back on after it had completely come off, or did he only spot-cement it back together?

This surround reminds me of the rubber, knurled bands on old SLR camera lenses. Once I had one come off and I tried to remove it all the way so I could recement it back on. In removing it, I found that I had stretched it so that it could never go back on. I had to cut it and remove about 1/4 inch so that there would not be any extra length. I don't think this would work on the garmin unit if the surround stretched.

SB
starbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 04:58 PM   #4
JJW

Starbaby,
I just saw your question the other day about my friends Vista, and it's rubber fix.
I talked with him over the weekend and his was loose just in two spots.
He had to pull it all off and then he glued it back on.
When he pulled his band off it really was not streched out.

So far, it still looks great and doesn't show any signs of loosening.

Good Luck,
John
JJW is offline   Reply With Quote