Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Gear, Food, and Survival Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
EagleO-10
PrimitiveCondition.com

Question Patches...What To Do

I've been collecting patches from various places/peaks for a while now. Patches and bandanas are my typical souvenirs. I've always liked the patches (a boy scout remnant, probably) but I've never been able to figure out just what to do with them. I guess I'm somewhat picky. Id like to display them somehow on the trails. I've thought about putting them on my backpack but, like most packs these days, its like a nylon that I feel a little sketchy sewing patches on to. It also doesn't have a ton of space that I could put patches, when I get more.

Not the point, though. Does anyone else collect patches (or anything else for that matter)? What do you do with them? Thanks!
EagleO-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:11 PM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

A lot of my friends use contact cement to attach patches to their packs, rather than sewing them on, so that they don't have to worry about ruining the integrity of the pack by piercing it multiple times with a needle...
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:41 PM   #3
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleO-10 View Post
I've been collecting patches from various places/peaks for a while now. Patches and bandanas are my typical souvenirs. I've always liked the patches (a boy scout remnant, probably) but I've never been able to figure out just what to do with them. I guess I'm somewhat picky. Id like to display them somehow on the trails. I've thought about putting them on my backpack but, like most packs these days, its like a nylon that I feel a little sketchy sewing patches on to. It also doesn't have a ton of space that I could put patches, when I get more.

Not the point, though. Does anyone else collect patches (or anything else for that matter)? What do you do with them? Thanks!
I had a ski buddy that collected souvenir pins from every ski area he ever skied. He used to keep all of them on a hat, eventually two hats, casually tossed over his living room furniture.

I used to keep stacks and stacks of ski area trails maps...it's fun to look back and see a mountain triple in trail count (although no new trails were created) and the vertical increase.

I also like souvenir coffee cups, but I don't know what to do with the too many that I already have!! I have some cherished cups that my kids made for me, I'll take them to my grave...
Old 01-27-2012, 09:25 AM   #4
ADKeagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleO-10 View Post

Glad you posted, I've often wondered the same thing...
Old 01-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #5
hikercop45
fat old hiker of the woods

I collect Police Department patches - I have notebooks with CD holders - I place them in thbe holders - not great for displaying - but for cataloging it is good...
hikercop45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
A lot of my friends use contact cement to attach patches to their packs, rather than sewing them on, so that they don't have to worry about ruining the integrity of the pack by piercing it multiple times with a needle...
Another option could be gluing / sewing one side of velcro to the patch and the other side to where ever you would like to display the patches . That way you can keep the patches intact and re-use them as equipment changes ?

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

1894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:43 PM   #7
ADKpete

One could sew them on to a piece of cloth and make something similar to a flag or banner.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:50 PM   #8
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Get a nice wool coat/jacket and sew them onto that, like we used to do when in the Scouts years ago....

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:05 PM   #9
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1894 View Post
Another option could be gluing / sewing one side of velcro to the patch and the other side to where ever you would like to display the patches . That way you can keep the patches intact and re-use them as equipment changes ?
I've though about doing this myself- I have a whole pile of patches that I've accumulated over the years that I've been meaning to affix to something...
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:54 PM   #10
John H Swanson

When I was young I would sew the patches on the pack - using dental floss so they would stay regardsless of the whacking.

Then the pack got a little too heavy from all the patches, so I switched to only having one or two patches of significant accomplishment. I remember there was a few years when I only had the 46 winter rocker on the pack - just "winter" That was back when the winter 46 was an accomplishment - meaning before the internet when you couldn't just follow broken trails.

Now, they are all in a shoe box, but I do have a few of them on the tack board in the office.
John H Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #11
Judgeh

Sewed a few onto my ancient canvas daypack. Many are under the glass top on my desk at the office. Looks nice.
Judgeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:51 PM   #12
nutmeg creeker

Another idea: mount them on a background color of your choice and frame them under glass as a wall hanging. I've seen this done with shoulder patches of corrections department uniforms from throughout the country.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:18 PM   #13
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Make a quilt out of them
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:11 PM   #14
PA Ridgerunner
Just a hiker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
Make a quilt out of them
Fran is in the process of making a quilt representation of our 46er journey. She is incorporating all of the patches we collected for the various peaks. She also sewed 46er patches onto our packs.

Rule #6: Don't take yourself so G.D. seriously. There are no other rules. - Zander
PA Ridgerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:22 AM   #15
Commissionpoint
Tent Pitcher

I have a JBL one and my CRC Chapter one on my big pack. I display the chapter patch out of pride for our tiny group of great people. The JBL one is there just for fun I suppose. I have a small stack of others I thought had cool renderings on them. I don't know what I am going to do with them. I think the ADK Saddleback one is really nice, and have been trying to incorporate it somehow.
Commissionpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:44 AM   #16
PA Ridgerunner
Just a hiker...

Then there's my good friend who has made it an art form...but I'm not sure I'd want to add this much extra weight to my pack!

Rule #6: Don't take yourself so G.D. seriously. There are no other rules. - Zander
PA Ridgerunner is offline   Reply With Quote