Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boats in the Adirondack

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a nice place where there would be some form of boat on a pond. I know that they aren't supposed to be in there but if there already there might as well take advantage.I also know that most people don't like posting there specific spots due to the heard path, but I have my 6 year old son who LOVES wilderness camping and I would like to continue giving him great memories. If you could see it in your heart to help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

DSettahr I know you've been EVERYWHERE, so if you could help out I would love you forever.

thanks so much

Adam

PM sent...
    My YouTube channel

Comment

I yearn for the old times when canoes and guide boats were left at junctions with confidence that they were safe.
      Sadly, that time is past.
      First and foremost, the state frowns on it.
      Secondly, some yahoo would come along and trash your boat.
      The old time ethic was to use the boat and return it.
      You were born fifty years too late.
      As an afterthought, the old timers never left their paddles.
      Porqupines would have eaten them for the salt.
      Last edited by Hard Scrabble; 06-28-2017, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Hey thanks bioguide. I didn't get a pm from you though you mind resending?

Comment

Originally posted by Adam317 View Post
          Hey thanks bioguide. I didn't get a pm from you though you mind resending?
          No need I think for being secretive as all the boats are strewn all over the shore line... Middle and Lower Sargent Ponds.
          My YouTube channel

Comment

I have a real problem with boats left at wilderness ponds. If you left a boat fifty years ago it was wood and canvas. Left a few years, it would rot into the forest floor. The boats I see strewn along the shorelines of pristine ponds today are universally aluminum and plastic. A boat left behind will be there for forever.

I know of numerous stashed boats that are no longer seaworthy. Where is the owner who brought it in? What's the exit plan? Barring said plan, stashed boats = garbage left behind, a mess left for someone else to sort out. Or not.

Does anyone else see this as a problem???
            Oscar Wilde:Work is the curse of the drinking class

Comment

Originally posted by bioguide View Post
              No need I think for being secretive as all the boats are strewn all over the shore line... Middle and Lower Sargent Ponds.

Yea I know last time I was at upper it was an armada I had all the choices in the world!

Comment

Originally posted by vtflyfish View Post
                I have a real problem with boats left at wilderness ponds. If you left a boat fifty years ago it was wood and canvas. Left a few years, it would rot into the forest floor. The boats I see strewn along the shorelines of pristine ponds today are universally aluminum and plastic. A boat left behind will be there for forever.

I know of numerous stashed boats that are no longer seaworthy. Where is the owner who brought it in? What's the exit plan? Barring said plan, stashed boats = garbage left behind, a mess left for someone else to sort out. Or not.

No denying that brother. It's an absolute shame. Everyone I've been in the adirondacks the last 10 years I've ALWAYS taken out a large contractor bag full of garbage. Crushed beer cans buried in the dirt, glass beer bottles, old cans, etc. I think I made it clear that this post isn't supporting putting boats in rather taking advantage of the exsisting boats in there. I know EVERYONE here agrees with you as well. People just have no respect for the wilderness. It breaks my heart that in 15 years my son will have such a different experience than I did and that I'm having such a difference experience than my dad and grandfather and not in a positive way.

We all receive your point.

Comment

Found an old post titled "boats in the adirondacks=garbage?" Below was a list of a few places for anyone who cares I think the post was from 2010 so take it for what it's worth.

Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
                  Don't forget Fish Pond, Grass Pond, Polliwog Pond, Horseshoe Pond, Trout Pond, Long Pond, Follensby Pond, Gull Pond, Mill Brook, Beaver Pond, Spectacle Pond, Goose Pond, Deer Pond, South Lake, North Lake, West Lake, East Lake, Otter Lake, Spruce Lake, Balsam Lake, Tamarack Lake, Pine Lake, First Pond, Second Pond, Third Pond...

Comment

I do but the state doesn't seem to care. I'm sure they could put together a volunteer program of some sort to remove them either by helicopter, float plane, or snowmobile. That video I made of Middle and Lower Sargent Ponds documenting all the boats was viewed by several of my DEC colleagues whom immediately tagged one of their regional forest rangers. Nothing but crickets is all I've heard since.
                    My YouTube channel

Comment

Has anyone given any thought to trying and setting up a thread here to identify where usable/broken boats are? Or where sites are destroyed with garbage? It would Give an idea of where someone who may want to pull a couple out or clean up an area where to start. Maybe even try and coordinate 1 weekend a year to go to one spot and put a dent in cleaning it up. Based on what I've been reading the last few days Most of the spots where boats are seem to be less than a 2 mile hike. If we could get 4 or 5 guys out there I know we could clean something up. I love when people are so upset about something but don't take any action. I'm sure we could find a champion to lead that effort up here. i would be more than happy to provide assistance with that if anyone is interested. I just can't stand to see the garbage EVERYTIME I go out.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam317 View Post
                        Has anyone given any thought to trying and setting up a thread here to identify where usable/broken boats are? Or where sites are destroyed with garbage? It would Give an idea of where someone who may want to pull a couple out or clean up an area where to start. Maybe even try and coordinate 1 weekend a year to go to one spot and put a dent in cleaning it up. Based on what I've been reading the last few days Most of the spots where boats are seem to be less than a 2 mile hike. If we could get 4 or 5 guys out there I know we could clean something up. I love when people are so upset about something but don't take any action. I'm sure we could find a champion to lead that effort up here. i would be more than happy to provide assistance with that if anyone is interested. I just can't stand to see the garbage EVERYTIME I go out.
                        That's a good idea. Maybe a battery powered sawzall to create manageable pieces. I'd get a certain satisfaction chopping them up. ha

Comment

There was a lengthy discussion on this topic a while ago........the thread was eventually shut down.

Comment

Just my opinion based on limited observation but DEC personnel, especially those that live in the small park communities, are not usually staunch environmentalists and are therefore likely to look the other way at times especially with stuff like this. Not a priority for them and probably some of them use said boats on occasion. And let's not forget the money aspect. The seaplane operators for as long as they've been flying clients have brought in boats and stashed them around. Is DEC going to make them haul out their boats? I guarantee a significant portion of the boats Bioguide found came in on planes, that pond is big business for them.

Comment

I never saw a canvas covered or wood boat left on the ground at the end of a carry in all my years of fishing.
                              The fishermen made an above ground rack to store their boat.
                              Of course, they took the paddles or oars with them.

Comment

Working...
                              X