Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2003, 06:49 AM   #1
Trailpatrol

Question Moose River Plains

Has anybody out there done any mountain biking in the Moose River Plains area south of Inlet? I am weighing my options for a trip next year if I don't go back to NW Russia. (My greatest bike trip ever, but not a topic for this forum.) I seem to remember the entire Fulton Chain area as being very sandy. Any ideas/pointers?

Be safe,
Hans
Old 11-17-2003, 01:14 PM   #2
Grumpy

It has been a lot of years since I was through the Moose River Plains area, but as I recollect, the main road (Moose River Plains Road) from Limekiln Lake over to the Cedar River Flow, and the spur road toward Kenwells (Otter Creek Road) were kept in decent condition during the summer months. I suspect a mountain bike would be an excellent and enjoyable way to travel them.

Without wishing to start an argument over the issue, I prefer to see footpaths and hiking trails remain bike-free. I don’t know what regulations apply to those trails in the Moose River Plains area.

G.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 02:55 PM   #3
Trailpatrol

Rules and LNT

I haven't been there in a long time either, but according to the articles about MRP that I have read in "Adirondack Life" and "BIKE" say that the area is open to mountain biking, and the local (Inlet) area tourism association is actively promoting it for mountain biking. My understanding is that any "Wild Forest" trails can be biked on unless they are posted otherwise.

That being said, I am also the only MTB-specific "Leave No Trace" Instructor in the country right now, and I am working at teaching mountain bikers how to "Tread Lightly" and interact with other trail users in a courteous and safe manner. I am a big believer in multi-use trails outside of Wilderness Areas, and if my memory serves me well ( I was a licensed guide in that area before MTBs were born) there should be lots of room for everyone.

Last edited by Jeff; 11-17-2003 at 11:10 PM..
Trailpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 12:53 PM   #4
Creekwader
Snag Locator

Hans,
I've biked most of the Plains trails over time. The main roads are suitable for biking but you must deal with vehicles and significant dust if dry. The trails to Beaver, Mitchell ponds, Icehouse, helldiver, lost ponds, and Lost pond are all good, fairly flat, firm and generally free of blowdown. These are snowmobile trails and are therefore fairly wide. Haven't tried anything that I would consider single track although the trail to Mitchell from the north and sly pond may fit that description.

Just a rumor at this point but I hear that the state is widening the trails to Icehouse and Mitchell ponds to allow motorized traffic and provide handicapped access.
-Scott
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 05:08 PM   #5
ADackR
livin' it

The road is all dirt from end to end. Take a look around the net for The Black Fly Challange.

IT's a race from end to end that is done the second or third weekend of June.

Just make sure your bring your dential floss...
ADackR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 07:31 AM   #6
JimB

I've done the Black Fly Challenge a few times and the terrain is ok for mt biking though there is not a lot of singletrack to ride in the area. For more info on mt biking in that area get ahold of Ted at www.pedalsandpetals.com , they have rentals, maps, and are generally helpful. They are located in Inlet. Tell them Jim Belknap sent you
JimB is offline   Reply With Quote