Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2016, 05:10 PM   #1
craigmcg
Never stop exploring

Boreas Ponds Acquisition timing

To those who may be in the know about the purchase: it has been stated in multiple articles that the state is expected to complete the purchase before April 1 this year (2016).

That's about 1 week away - anyone know when the actual announcement will be?
craigmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:19 PM   #2
craigmcg
Never stop exploring

I guess we will hear today... I'm not sure if there is a way they close the deal today, but save the announcement for next month on "Earth Day?"

Last edited by craigmcg; 03-31-2016 at 12:37 PM..
Old 03-31-2016, 04:22 PM   #3
craigmcg
Never stop exploring

Here's an update:

“DEC remains committed to the purchase of the Boreas Ponds and is in the final stages of the acquisition,” said Lori Severino, a spokeswoman for the agency.

http://www.adirondackalmanack.com/20...tml#more-60290
Old 04-03-2016, 01:04 PM   #4
rewind

Looks like The Nature Conservancy issued an easement on March 4 for the towns to continue using the Boreas Pond Road and two gravel pits. The Brace Brook Pit looks pretty deep into the property (see sheet 9 of the document). Maybe this issue held up the sale.

https://www.searchiqs.com/nyess/Login.aspx

"Log In as Guest"

Next page:

Book: 1829
Page: 52
Search

Next page: hit "View"

Last edited by rewind; 04-03-2016 at 04:15 PM..
rewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:55 AM   #5
rewind

The Essex County Clerks web site is showing the transfer of the land to New York State was signed on March 16, and recorded on April 5, 2016. There is a 28 page deed (Book 1832, Page 61) consisting of 20,757.7 acres in exchange for about $15 million. I am not a lawyer, but this is what I can get out of it: 1) 11 pages of property description, 2) 21 exclusions of properties from the sale, 3) allows Finch Pruyn to use the Boreas Pond Road and Trout Pond Road for timber purposes, 4) allows five hunting and fishing clubs to continue their leases until Oct 1, 2016, and 5) five pages of identified subject conditions and easements (including allowing the towns to use the Boreas Pond Road and gravel pits).

There is also other Nature Conservancy lease document related to the sale: Book 1832, Page 89 (also recorded April 5 - 23 pages) documents leases to "outdoor recreational use" until Oct 1, 2018 (?). Also TNC has right to access the property until Oct 1, 2020.

So it looks like the state owns the land, but there are a lot of footnotes.
rewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:52 PM   #6
Telemarkmike

Thanks for the good info Rewind
Old 04-12-2016, 08:31 AM   #7
craigmcg
Never stop exploring

Earth Day is 4/22 - believe that the state has used this occaision as an announcement platform in the past.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:30 PM   #8
craigmcg
Never stop exploring

You heard it here (adkforum) first. Now you can read it again here: http://www.adirondackalmanack.com/2016/04/59863.html
Old 04-14-2016, 04:10 PM   #9
Buckladd

Here's TNC's PR:http://www.nature.org/ourinitiatives...york-state.xml

The big question now is when will be open to the public.
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:02 AM   #10
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
The big question now is when will be open to the public.
Probably when the announcement is made that the Nature Conservancy transfers the Boreas Ponds to New York State.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:28 AM   #11
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Probably when the announcement is made that the Nature Conservancy transfers the Boreas Ponds to New York State.
TNC has issued a PR, but so far DEC is being quiet.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:39 AM   #12
kwc
loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
TNC has issued a PR, but so far DEC is being quiet.
From this morning's Times Union:
"A state Department of Environmental Conservation spokesman confirmed the purchase, adding, "Additional details will be announced in the coming weeks." The agency didn't say when the land will be open to the public."

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.
kwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:02 PM   #13
Justin
Moving along

So if the state officially owns the land, is it not public land?
I didn't see any mention that it's 'not' open to the public yet, other than "Gulf Brook Road is gated, and no doubt for the duration of mud season, and the ponds are still frozen".
Old 04-15-2016, 12:38 PM   #14
TCD

I'm also interested in this. Typically when TNC owns land, everything except trail hiking is banned (no bushwhacking off trail, no climbing, etc.). (I admire TNC for what they accomplish, but they are quite restrictive.) So I am following closely to find out when I can go in there to bushwhack and climb.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 01:19 PM   #15
Justin
Moving along

Just speculating here but...
Perhaps DEC is being quiet about public use for the time being until the classification issues come a little more into light. Similar to the Ok Slip tract when it was announced that the state owned the land, but discouraged public use until an official "DEC" trail was marked.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:03 PM   #16
Buckladd

Rumor has it the story leaked ahead of when the state really wanted to announce it. Although, as pointed out previously in this thread, the transaction took place a few weeks ago as was expected. Perhaps foot traffic may be allowed now that it is state land but there may also be some lease agreements that have yet to expire and the ever on-going public input and management plan process that can delay vehicle access.

Think back to the Essex Chain. I can't remember exactly when in 2013 the purchase was made, but it didn't open to the public (at least the roads) until Oct. 1 after a summer full of management debates. This is not uncommon.

I wouldn't expect DEC to open the gates for real good access until it is somewhat ready for the masses. Hopefully we'll hear soon enough when that "might" be.
Old 04-16-2016, 08:29 AM   #17
jan

It would be nice if this was opened to the public before final decisions were made so we could see what we bought and make informed comments during the public hearings. They could increase patrols and make it clear that final management plans are pending.
jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:43 AM   #18
rdl

Now that the state has ownership it needs to classify the land: i.e. Wild Forest, Wilderness, etc... That determines how the public can legally use the land. It would be great to explore the area -- but while I would explore on foot, someone else may explore on ATV. So, the process has to play out.

Last edited by rdl; 04-16-2016 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: spelling
rdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:46 AM   #19
jan

That's a good point, RDL, but it seems like that could be handled by some interim regulations, and a good gate to prevent motorized vehicles beyond a certain point. It just seems like it's a farce to ask for public comment on a tract of land that the public hasn't seen or been able to access. I feel like the state is treating us like..."be good children and play quietly in your room, while Mommy and Daddy make the grown-up decisions."
jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:48 AM   #20
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdl View Post
Now that the state has ownership it needs to classify the land: i.e. Wild Forest, Wilderness, etc... That determines how the public can legally use the land. It would be great to explore the area -- but while I would explore on foot, someone else may explore on ATV. So, the process has to play out.
Of course that will involve the APA to vote on that classification(s) and DEC to eventually manage it. There will no public ATV riding, that's for sure.

Tags
boreas ponds tract, state land