Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2011, 04:42 PM   #121
Neil
Kayak-46

What is the probability that non-motorized craft will be legislated off of Lake George?
Old 04-19-2011, 05:11 PM   #122
yellowcanoe

about the same as the banning of 350 hp motors from my lake that is scarcely three miles long.

The vacationers would scream.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:33 PM   #123
richard1726

Consider that liability insurance has largely eliminated reasonable behavior since irresponsible behavior does not result in even monetary loss.
richard1726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:44 PM   #124
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALGonquin Bob View Post
Redhawk - since roads are linear and most waterways are not, it would be more accurate to compare lakes with a huge unstriped/unlined parking lot or a place like the Bonneville salt flats with a mixture of racing cars, slow-moving vehicles, bikes, and pedestrians. None of those places is conducive to laying out boundaries.
No way of laying out boundaries?

They've done it with the sky and with airplanes, so I'd rethink it if I were you.

Hmm Lets see. Suppose once powerboats are in the water they have to keep the speed about 2 mph or so until they are 100 feet from shore and suppose that unless they are coming in o dock they have to maintain a 100 foot (for example) distance from shore, which would be the paddle boat (bike) lane?

Suppose there were certain lanes laid out with buoys (just like you mark a channel) for paddle craft to cross a lake and when approaching those buoys and crossing the lanes the boats had to power down, look forward and sideways before crossing the lane at 2 mph?

That sounds real difficult to me.

Hawk
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:48 PM   #125
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
What is the probability that non-motorized craft will be legislated off of Lake George?
No probability at all. History indicates that profit or convenience far outweighs human safety and mortality.

But that doesn't mean that things couldn't be done and it's interesting playing "what it" (I were in charge).

Hawk
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:49 PM   #126
ALGonquin Bob
Lake Lila - Low's Lake carry

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
That sounds real difficult to me.

Hawk
You're right about that, and it will never happen. The reality of it is that roads and air routes are meant to get from "here to there", wheras paddlers aren't just out there for basic transportation.

Check out my "Mountain Blog" http://tinyurl.com/BobMountainBlog2

46er #5357W
ALGonquin Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:09 PM   #127
8thday
**BANNED**

Very Sad Indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALGonquin Bob View Post
Just read the comments here http://poststar.com/news/local/artic...?mode=comments

If the judge had merely imposed a $100 fine, I don't think we would be having this discussion, and nobody would be asking for an appeal of the decision or wanting to write his Congressman. The judge was most definitely making a statement that there is an open season on canoes and kayaks on Lake George, and operators of powerboats can do as they please.
I read some posts on that link, & one referred to the victim as Dad. Think how that son or daughter feels reading the ignorant posts (over there) that lay the blame for the accident with their dad. The prosecutor should have used the argument that the victim & wife were not underway, because they were frantically waving raised paddles & shouting in an attempt to signal the power boat to avoid a collision. If they were not underway, the "not required to yield to a kayak" b.s. defense falls apart, because the vessel underway must always avoid collision with others that are drifting or anchored (not underway). I have used this tactic, stop paddling when approached by power boats in cases where I know they see me. Usually this registers with their brain & causes them to realize that I'm concerned with their present course. Most times they will alter course and give a wider margin. Here's my fine canoe outfitted with a neon orange flag & black one too for extra attention. Kind of like how lobster traps are marked on the high seas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM1603.jpg (101.4 KB, 25 views)
8thday is offline   Reply With Quote