Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Skiing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2014, 09:06 PM   #1
MaximusFunk24

how does Mount Van Hoevenberg operate?

I am new to XC skiing, and have had several people suggest visiting Mount Van Hoevenberg. After a lot of research, I am still not sure how the set up works. It appears to be groomed and staffed, but I get the impression the trails are free?(is parking also free?)

It also has hours of operation, does that include all the trails or just the buildings and olympic stuff? Is camping allowed at the Mr Van lean to or is it just day use during open hours?

Are there certain trails that are specifically for professionals training there, or are all the trails open the the public at any skill level?

Any other pertinent info would also be appreciated, Thanks.
MaximusFunk24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:17 PM   #2
TCD

http://www.whiteface.com/activities/...country-skiing

A little hard to find the info - it's hard to see the XC info in the glare of the nearby downhill area.

Trail pass prices are in the link. Parking is free. It's a short walk to the lodge building from the parking lot.

Like any ski area, some trails may be closed during a race. Otherwise, they're open.

I believe the Lean To that is by South Meadow Brook is a standard leant to like any other; not part of the Cross Country ski area jurisdiction.

Enjoy! Everything is groomed and tracked right now.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:00 PM   #3
MaximusFunk24

whoops, guess i missed that, I looked at it under the Olympic Sites section on there. Thanks a lot for the info.
MaximusFunk24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 12:30 AM   #4
rdl

I would suggest checking out Cascade Ski Center as well -- you may get a little more of a personal touch, which if you're a newbie may be useful. Their trails are nicely groomed and you won't find yourself in the middle of a race, or trails closed due to races.
rdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 08:21 AM   #5
fvrwld

I have a question about Cascade Ski Center (or any x-country ski center). We bought an annual pass via an ADK auction. We both have beefy backcountry set-ups. Are our wider skis welcome there?
Old 12-13-2014, 11:09 AM   #6
rdl

I have a similar setup and have never had an issue skiing at any groomed ski center. When I take my Atomics with the Voile 3-pin binding the outer edge of the binding will occasionally catch on the track, which can cause some amusement for skiers nearby.
rdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 03:21 PM   #7
PA Ridgerunner
Just a hiker...

[QUOTE=fvrwld;225496]I have a question about Cascade Ski Center (or any x-country ski center). We bought an annual pass via an ADK auction. We both have beefy backcountry set-ups. Are our wider skis welcome there?[/QUOT

I can't imagine you wouldn't be welcome. I skied there with my BC skis, but they're not real wide. How wide are your skis? 70 is probably the widest that would fit in the groomed tracks, but you can always stay out of those...just watch out for the skaters.

Rule #6: Don't take yourself so G.D. seriously. There are no other rules. - Zander
PA Ridgerunner is offline   Reply With Quote