Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Skiing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2015, 01:21 PM   #1
rdl

Lowville area

I'll be spending 5 days near Lowville in a couple weeks. I've done some searching on the net and know about Whetstone Gulf, Barnes Corners and Carpenter Road. I've been to BREIA, so am familiar with that. Are there any hidden gems in that area that I should ski ? Of Whetstone, Barnes Corners and Carpenter Road -- which should I focus on if I could only hit one of those places ? Any of those places overrun by snowmobiles and best avoided ?

Thanks in advance...

Also -- if anyone knows where I can get a growler(or 5) filled in that area that would be appreciated as well.

Bob
rdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 01:34 PM   #2
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

Inman Gulf in Barnes Corners is very pretty. The last section of trail along the gulf (the Oak Rim trail) does not permit skis and I can see why, it is a long way down and that trail is right on the edge in a lot of places. We have walked the trails at Inman several times in the fall but I have never skied there. Once you get up the hill at Whetstone Gulf it would be pretty nice skiing from what I recall, but it is a pretty long steep climb to where it levels off, and would be well above my skill level to ski back down without great trepidation and alarm, but very likely you have better skills than I do. I don't know about snowmobiles as I have not visited that area in the winter.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 01:39 PM   #3
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I was at BREIA yesterday with a friend. We skied the Jackson Hill area specifically plus a little bit of the Canal Trail. I've not done any skiing in the Tug Hill area, but my friend has, and he said that BREIA was better for skiing than anything he'd seen at Tug Hill.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 02:52 PM   #4
St.Regis

On the west side of Tug Hill is Winona. It's not too far southwest of Rodman/Barnes Corners.

http://www.a1trails.com/xc_ski/ny/ny20.html

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7882.html
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 02:59 PM   #5
St.Regis

Oh yeah, almost forgot to help with your important question...I think there is a A-Plus Convenience Store (Sunoco gas station) in Lowville. Many A-Plus stores have Craft Beer on tap and their brew selection is surprisingly good. Check them out for your growler fill up.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:43 PM   #6
Wldrns

I haven't been to the Carpenter Road to ski in a few years, but used to go there a lot. It is the least demanding by far after the somewhat more difficult Whetstone and Barnes Corners. It is a gradual but long gentle slope from the parking lot to a number of choices on different relatively flat trails on the top of the ridge. One trail will take you to the top of the Snow Ridge ski area. I have skied down the slope from there and had a ride home waiting for me at the bottom, not wanting to make the long climb back up and without a lift ticket.

Whetstone offers a very high sheer dropoff along the trail, and so does the Inman Gulf. Still, Whetstone is a pleasant 5 mile loop. There are more choices of side trails and varied terrain to take at the inman, not just along the edge of the gulf. In all cases you will encounter at least the drone of snowmobiles from nearby trails. Snowmobiles have (in the past) been known to ruin parts of the Carpenter Road trails.

If you are coming up Rte 12 from the south, there is an excellent very large beer shop with growler fill up in Barneveld, at the Desantis Adirondack Discount Beverage Center. There is also a Sunoco A-Plus with growler filling capability in Boonville.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:30 PM   #7
rdl

Thanks all for the tip on the A+ and Craft Beer Exchange -- always look forward to trying new beers.

And a little torn now between heading to BREIA or checking out some of the other areas.

Anything in the Independence River forest worth checking out ?
rdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:32 PM   #8
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdl View Post
Anything in the Independence River forest worth checking out ?
Horse trails. Gently rolling hills. Lots of snowmobiles. Break your own ski trail. If you know what your are doing, you can get into areas quite remote with ponds and streams.

Last edited by Wldrns; 01-26-2015 at 10:43 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:14 AM   #9
Creekwader
Snag Locator

BREIA is the best bet for consistent quality in groomed trails. I was also on Jackson hill Sunday and it was very nice. The Centennial scoot ski trail in the Brantingham area is another option not too far from Lowville. That one is off the Partridgeville rd. At the far end of that road, you could also get into the west end of the Haderondah wilderness, Pine Lake area.
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 05:33 PM   #10
Fishat#4

this guide has a good x-ski section

http://www.lewiscountychamber.org/vg/indexen.php
Fishat#4 is offline   Reply With Quote