Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Skiing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2018, 09:52 AM   #1
Adirondackiteer
Barefoot Hiker

Got out the old XC skis

This isn't necessarily ADK related but I am in no other forums that involve skiing... So every once in a blue moon I get out my old skis, no idea how old probably 70's? Folks bought them used for us kids in the 80's. Well since my brother moved to Florida I ended up with both our skis and his are newer but the boots are now shot so I moved back over to my old pair this winter. My boots are shot too but holding together for now. The old vinyl is all cracked and dry rotting.

The skis are waxless, but the bases are looking pretty beat up with small gouges and chunks here and there. Can a waxless ski be waxed or some other method to smooth out the bases again? I don't know if I am giving up a lot of efficiency with the beat up bases.

Also do they still make 3 pin boots? And in wide? My current boots are a full 2 sizes too big just to try and get my toes into the wider part of the shoe and still they are crunched. Due to wide toe spread on narrow feet I usually resort to barefoot in almost all things outdoors, but not really an option on skis lol! So I am all ears if there is a wide toe box option out there somewhere!

39/46 get'n closer
19/46 barefoot
Adirondackiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:42 AM   #2
TCD

You can repair most of the gouges in an XC ski with PTex, the same as you would for most skis. If the fish scales themselves are damaged, that's a different story and those are much more work to repair, and probably not worth it. After repairs, a waxless XC ski will certainly benefit from some glide wax applied to the flat areas.

One of my current boots is the Alpina Alaska. It's a fairly big, heavy, warm boot that's available in both NNN-BC and 75 mm (three pin). I find the toe box to be pretty roomy, but of course you would have to try them on. Also, they are pricey, and it's hard to find good deals on them...
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:05 AM   #3
montcalm
Mobster

Yes, 3 pins are still available but I wouldn't recommend the Alaska version of them for a couple reasons, mainly being a "wide" foot. I find the Alaska very narrow and have to ski them a size bigger than my true wider boots.

For a wide foot, Crispi is a good choice. You may want to look into a boot called the Antarctic, which is a really nice boot and not too expensive. It's a traditional 3 pin Norwegian welt, so it has some downfalls, most of which rely on you, the user to properly break them in and care for the leather. Many modern boots don't need any break in and require little more than a water-based leather treatment once a year.

Pretty much the only place to buy these boots in NA:

http://www.telemarkdown.com/store/to...arcticleather/

I find the sizing to be true on these, some other Crispis run really wide. If they are tight, they can also be stretched. Not something you really want to have to do, but it is possible.

As far as ski and bindings, they are very cheap and easy to find. New, rugged, 3 pin bindings go for $50, $25 or so if you can find them used. Much better skis than I'm sure you are using can be had new for $200 or less, and about half that used. Fischers are particularly good all-around waxless XC skis.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:22 AM   #4
MaximusFunk24

The Alpina Alaskas are wonderful, but I also found them on the narrower side of the three 3 pin boots I have owned. After maybe 30 miles of breaking in they fit like a glove though.

If you arent looking to spend much money, I would recommend the Whitewoods 301 in 3 pin. Its not terribly amazing as far as durability, warmth or rigidity, but it is a vast improvement on old floppy tennis shoe type boots. It does have a very wide fit to it. So wide in fact, I had to shave a bit of the rubber off to get it to fit into Rotefella Super Tele bindings. If you are just using it with old lightweight 3 pin bindings you wont run into any problem though. I bought the previous generation from Sierra Trading post for $39 as opposed to $250 for the Alaska. I would imagine the current ones are also wide.

https://www.sierratradingpost.com/wh...woods-boots%2F
MaximusFunk24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 04:25 PM   #5
rdl

Fischer makes 3 pin boots still. Also try ebay -- I've seen several on there over the years both new and used.
rdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:54 AM   #6
Adirondackiteer
Barefoot Hiker

Sorry for the long delay in response, I did read and appreciate all the comments right away.

TCD - these skis have no scales on them, all smooth. Around here is flat so seems to be just fine.

I've done some more research on ptex and doing repair, but come across several references saying not to repair a waxless ski unless the gouge is through into the core material? None of my damage is into the core.

I looked at some of the boots, and well a bit to pricey for me! Maybe if I could use them more, but I usually only get out maybe twice a winter, were talking maybe 10 miles of skiing a year sadly. And its not terribly scenic like the mountains around here, its more just for a different kind of workout when the snow is too deep to run the trail (I'll run up to about 4" deep, more than that is rare).

Dad can no longer ski due to heart conditions, and he has a few different sets of skis I've been meaning to get (but still would need new boots). I just only visit during the summer and skis always slip our minds then!

I'll keep my eye out on ebay, I just hate gambling with fit. Then again the boots I have don't fit at all lol!

You can see the old vinyl like coating is cracked and coming off the boots, it seems much worse in person than in the pic. Maybe I could just seal it with silicon for now like a tent lol.

Dreaming of the day I can go skiing in the Adirondacks without it being a long drive!

39/46 get'n closer
19/46 barefoot

Last edited by Adirondackiteer; 02-24-2018 at 12:29 PM..
Old 02-25-2018, 02:33 PM   #7
TCD

You might be able to pick up boots etc. at end-of-season local ski swaps. Sometimes you can get used gear, especially XC gear, surprisingly cheaply.

(The term "waxless" generally describes skis that have fish scales or some other pattern on them to provide kick without the use of kick wax. So if you skis are smooth they are generally considered to be "waxable" skis. For efficient travel, you will want to use some kick wax in the zone under the foot to provide kick.)
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:58 PM   #8
montcalm
Mobster

I'm confused by those skis. When the pictures were there, they did say they were "waxless" but I only know of very few types of waxless skis that don't have a pattern. Karhu designed a chemical grip waxless pattern a few years back but it was never sold in the US. Also there are a few skis that use permanent skins. I'm not sure what would have been used on a ski that old to make it grip without a pattern.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 05:11 AM   #9
MaximusFunk24

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
I'm confused by those skis. When the pictures were there, they did say they were "waxless" but I only know of very few types of waxless skis that don't have a pattern. Karhu designed a chemical grip waxless pattern a few years back but it was never sold in the US. Also there are a few skis that use permanent skins. I'm not sure what would have been used on a ski that old to make it grip without a pattern.
I didnt get to see the pictures, but in the 70's a few of the Norwegian companies made waxless "Mica" bases that had tons of tiny mono-directional flecks of mica. I've never skied on a pair though.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:20 AM   #10
Adirondackiteer
Barefoot Hiker

I admit I don't really know a thing about XC skis, despite doing it often as a family growing up, we never knew the finer details lol. I assumed the scales where for going up hills versus smooth skis for flats, I never heard of kick wax before but will look into it! I am not sure what is going on with the pics they are there but sometimes do not appear on the screen unless I press refresh. I used to host most my pics on photobucket until they stopped allowing you to hotlink them. Now I am using my google photo account. Wish the forum allowed a bit more attachment capability.

Maybe it would be easier finding boots for my other set of skis (not sure what its called but instead of 3 pins it has a small horizontal bar that clicks in). They are a bit newer Alpinas with the scales but I broke the tip on one hitting a tree a few years ago (just near the tip, the skis seem to still work ok best I can tell) but the main reason I have not used those lately is the purple coloring on the boot is disintegrating and it stains your socks really bad if wear them! Those boots are slightly narrower yet.

39/46 get'n closer
19/46 barefoot
Old 03-02-2018, 07:58 PM   #11
Adirondackiteer
Barefoot Hiker

Maximus, did you try refreshing screen? Pics still showing up for me at least... and sounds just like what you're mentioning. They are from Norway and say coated mica system with polyethylene base.

Maybe I should just retire them to the mantle or something lol!

39/46 get'n closer
19/46 barefoot
Old 03-03-2018, 05:19 AM   #12
MaximusFunk24

From a google search I read that mica bases climb excellent, but dont glide all that well. You could always use them as "rock skis" for early and late season since you mentioned the bases are already pretty scratched up.