Backpacking the Black Forest Trail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backpacking the Black Forest Trail

A few weeks ago I met up with some friends from college for our regular backpacking trip.  We headed further west this time, to the Black Forest Trail (BFT).  We began at Slate Run to do a loop of …

Did a 20ish mile loop on the BFT and side trails. Amazing weather, beautiful views.

We backpacked a section of the beautiful Black Forest Trail a few weeks ago. We did a 20ish mile loop incorporating*the BFT and side trails.* This is a wonderful backpacking trail featuring many views, streams, some falls, and great campsites.* The rugged trail goes in and out of gorges and glen along the Pine Creek Gorge.* The weather and views were awesome.* The creeks were running well, so there were plenty of cascades and waterfalls.* The Pine Creek Gorge area is very scenic and we all had a great time.

It's amazing how level the tops of all those mountains are with each other.

Comment

Backpacking the Black Forest Trail

Originally posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
      It's amazing how level the tops of all those mountains are with each other.
      Like the Catskills, those "mountains" are actually what is left of an eroded plateau. The top of the plateau is a very hard conglomerate, while the rock beneath is much softer sandstone. Hence the flat tops bisected by deep valleys with steep sides.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Comment

That makes perfect sense! Duh. I must need more coffee...

Comment

Working...
        X