Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2019, 05:07 PM   #1
Tomcat

Paddling Tupper Lake and its ponds

I'm new to the daks and now live in Tupper Lake. Since I live 5 minutes by foot to Raquette Pond, I have explored Tupper, Raquette Pond, and Simon Pond numerous times. For anyone interested, I have observation and my take on the lakes on my website. There's also quite a few photos. I know there are plenty of better waters but since they are out my front door, I've explored these the most my first few months here. http://www.tomcatsadventures.com/201...pper-lake.html
Tomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 08:28 PM   #2
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
I'm new to the daks and now live in Tupper Lake...
Tomcat,
Congratulations, cool photos & blog, and welcome to the Adirondacks.
Just a heads up that the abbreviated term “Daks” makes a lot of people cringe, especially local residents & frequent visitors. You may want to use ”Adks” as an abbreviation instead, kind of like the name of this website. Could you imagine if it was called the ”Daks Forum”?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 10:54 PM   #3
MaximusFunk24

yeah, you will definitely be giving yourself away as a recent transplant. I have never heard a local use the term "Daks"

I see you like XC skiing. Tupper Lake has an awesome network of free groomed XC trails that start at the golf course, along with tons of backcountry trails nearby when winter gets here.
MaximusFunk24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 08:33 AM   #4
Lucky13

Maybe it is an east west thing, I have both heard it and seen it in print for years. Many people associate "ADK" with the Adirondack Mountain Club, and at least some of us do not agree with their authoritarianism, and views, regardless of their self proclaimed "sole preserver of the forest preserve" status (I sense a lot of bulging corpuscles now) and the good work they have done. And I am not a recent transplant or visitor, I have been using this part of my state for well over 50 years. And those little oval bumper stickers with ADK on them are really recent, too. Some of us just like to type less!
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:42 AM   #5
Tomcat

I grew up in PA and Daks are what I always heard. I'm use to not fitting in. I never lived anywhere too long. Maine, Colorado, now in the ADK all within the past 10 years so I'm always an outsider.
Tomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:49 AM   #6
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

Thanks for posting about the paddling on and around Tupper. I've been wondering what it was like, it seems like a nice area for sure. The cliffs on the islands and the main lake look especially interesting.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote