Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2018, 09:46 PM   #121
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluequill View Post
As Justin stated, the gate will not open until Memorial Day. Gate is closed for the "mud season". The road has NO mud on it and is in ok shape. A group of campers/ paddlers were wheeling their canoes in from Blue Ridge ....that's dedication!
Might as well enjoy it while you can before it turns into another one of the countless other places in the Adirondacks that have easy access & gets overused & abused.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:17 AM   #122
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Might as well enjoy it while you can before it turns into another one of the countless other places in the Adirondacks that have easy access & gets overused & abused.
Easy access has never made a place better or cleaner. Ever.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:33 AM   #123
greatexpectations

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
i agree with you, but some others seem to think that my 'comrades' and i are getting worked up over nothing. we'll see i guess.
greatexpectations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:38 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
Agreed as well.

I wheeled in from Blue Ridge a couple of years ago. Long trip but had the place to ourselves, aside from the multiple breeding pairs of loons and the workers tearing down the lodge. Idyllic camping on the ponds, though I dare you to find where we camped...LNT can actually work.

My 2 cents: This whole process of opening the road to (essentially) the end, though I disagree with the final decision, has been a good one. They have gotten input from all sides, and many of the improvement in the UMP are pretty cool. Always fun to explore new trails as well as camp sites.

To keep the place from being overrun, though, they will need manpower at the various gates and at the dam on busy weekends. My fingers are crossed that it will not be a mess, but based on what I see in much of the rest of the HP, I am not optimistic in peoples' ability to keep from loving the place to death.
2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 05:24 PM   #125
bmike-vt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2505 View Post
Agreed as well.

I wheeled in from Blue Ridge a couple of years ago. Long trip but had the place to ourselves, aside from the multiple breeding pairs of loons and the workers tearing down the lodge. Idyllic camping on the ponds, though I dare you to find where we camped...LNT can actually work.

My 2 cents: This whole process of opening the road to (essentially) the end, though I disagree with the final decision, has been a good one. They have gotten input from all sides, and many of the improvement in the UMP are pretty cool. Always fun to explore new trails as well as camp sites.

To keep the place from being overrun, though, they will need manpower at the various gates and at the dam on busy weekends. My fingers are crossed that it will not be a mess, but based on what I see in much of the rest of the HP, I am not optimistic in peoples' ability to keep from loving the place to death.

Even when you put the human in nature, you can't take the human nature out of the human.
bmike-vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:36 PM   #126
bluequill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post

Like this easily accessible area that I stumbled across yesterday?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg slush pond 1.jpg (136.5 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg slush pond 3.jpg (121.8 KB, 126 views)
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:45 PM   #127
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Like this easily accessible area that I stumbled across yesterday?
Hey at least I don’t see any cut tree stumps.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:55 PM   #128
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Is that Slush Pond?

Looks like someone had a permit hunting camp back there in the fall, and hauled in a lot more firewood than they ended up using. If that's the worst thing about that site, it's doing pretty well (although it could definitely look tidier).
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 09:35 PM   #129
bluequill

Yes, Slush Pond. The pile of broken old furniture, destroyed plastic folding table and myriad of beer cans (along the dirt road, also) is hardly acceptable. Unfortunately, it is expected at easliy accessible locations.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:41 PM   #130
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Yes, Slush Pond. The pile of broken old furniture, destroyed plastic folding table and myriad of beer cans (along the dirt road, also) is hardly acceptable. Unfortunately, it is expected at easliy accessible locations.
That is definitely worse than just firewood. Too bad; I've camped at Slush Pond a bunch (at the site pictured nearly every time, in fact) and have always found the sites to be clean and the area quiet. I think the lack of waterfront campsites keeps the use of the area down a bit, especially when you've got gorgeous waterfront sites nearby at Mountain Pond and Jones Pond (both of which seem to get a lot more use and abuse). Apparently even that isn't enough to keep the knuckleheads away 100% of the time, though.

I almost wonder if it was Paul Smith's students... I hope not (they should know better), but the tree cookies in the photo indicate that this is plausible. There's always a good supply of them at the Forestry Club Cabin on campus from the Woodsmen Team's crosscut practicing. When I was a student there, we would often raid the cabin for free firewood before heading out to camp nearby.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 11:22 PM   #131
Blackflie

I was at a site on Rainbow Narrows a few weeks ago, very windy lots of blow downs on the road up to White Fathers Church. Lots of down wood and no real evidence of tree cutting. But my word beer cans and bottles, we took as many away as we could. The thing that really anoyed me was discarded monofilament fishing line. Again what I found I took back with me. Rant over. I realise it is not my Country and have no right to be judgemental but discarded line can have a huge impact on fauna. I have been coming south to this wonderful part of the world for a number of years and regard my trips as a privilege. I really believe that litterers (is that a Real Word?) are in a minority and that making land accessible can only makes”joe Public”more aware of their heritage.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:40 AM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmike-vt View Post
Even when you put the human in nature, you can't take the human nature out of the human.
Does anyone have any contacts with the DEC that will cover that area (Boreas Ponds), ie ranger? Curious what they plan on for (official/responsible) human presence and monitoring.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:19 AM   #133
bluequill

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
That is definitely worse than just firewood. Too bad; I've camped at Slush Pond a bunch (at the site pictured nearly every time, in fact) and have always found the sites to be clean and the area quiet. I think the lack of waterfront campsites keeps the use of the area down a bit, especially when you've got gorgeous waterfront sites nearby at Mountain Pond and Jones Pond (both of which seem to get a lot more use and abuse). Apparently even that isn't enough to keep the knuckleheads away 100% of the time, though.

I almost wonder if it was Paul Smith's students... I hope not (they should know better), but the tree cookies in the photo indicate that this is plausible. There's always a good supply of them at the Forestry Club Cabin on campus from the Woodsmen Team's crosscut practicing. When I was a student there, we would often raid the cabin for free firewood before heading out to camp nearby.

The cookies were there last fall, neatly stacked like piles of poker chips. I assumed they were from "Smitty's". What disgusted us was the other piles of trash which I assumed, as you did, that they were from last season hunters.

I hope that easy access at Boreas doesn't lead to scenes like this. We will see in due time.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:52 AM   #134
dundee

Quote:

I hope that easy access at Boreas doesn't lead to scenes like this. We will see in due time.
Oh, it will! DEC has fun coming up with ideas, but has no one to go out and enforce or clean up.

Last edited by dundee; 05-20-2018 at 11:17 AM..
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 12:07 PM   #135
TCD

Sadly, this is true, but I don't blame just the DEC. This comes from the top of State Government. It's great to bask in the limelight over all these huge new land purchases. But it's harder to budget to adequately maintain them. From the viewpoint of wildlife and nature, these areas were better of when they were privately owned than they are now that they have been "protected" by Government acquisition. But this lesson is lost on those people and organizations who continuously clamor for "more, more, more."

The truth is, we get the Government we deserve. The modern society's short attention span, media driven opinions, and one-off lawsuits and sob stories drive the behavior of politicians. Successful politicians have learned that you have to put on a big show that looks like you are doing something, but in fact, actually do as little as possible.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:19 PM   #136
Justin
Moving along

It seemed pretty obvious to me that the DEC already had a plan in place when they went ahead & removed all off the small trees & shrubs the were already growing & established on & near the dams at LeBeir Flow & Boreas Ponds back in the summer of ‘16, long before this area was even officially classified. I tried to do my best to bring this to public attention, and to my DEC contacts, but the only responses that I’ve received (including a NYSDEC Forest Ranger) was that this is part of normal DEC maintenance, even though the land hadn’t even been officially classified yet.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:49 PM   #137
bluequill

They were building all the parking areas well before any proposals were written. The governor had a plan from day one and that is what we have today. Well, except for those glam-camping huts.......but hey, I haven't heard the fat lady sing yet!
Old 05-20-2018, 07:27 PM   #138
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
They were building all the parking areas well before any proposals were written.
Are there new parking areas?
I only noticed the new parking area that was created near the first gate near Blue Ridge Rd, and at the large clearing that already existed near the second gate which the DEC enlarged approximately 3.25 from Blue Ridge Rd (the current interim summer access). I’m not sure of any other parking areas, but these two seemed to be working out fairly well over the past few years with plenty of visitors judging from several social media internet posts that I’ve seen.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:04 PM   #139
bluequill

There are two parking areas right now, the two you mentioned. There are four more proposed.... Four corners, Labier Flow and two between Blue Ridge Rd and the existing parking at the 3 mile gate. I remember the last time I was there, over a year ago, there was a dozer cleaning up a lumber landing. I asked the operator what was up and he said it might be for future parking. I think the last two parking areas on Gulf Brook Rd are for accessing the newly proposed trail systems.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:10 PM   #140

Quote:
There are two parking areas right now, the two you mentioned. There are four more proposed.... Four corners, Labier Flow and two between Blue Ridge Rd and the existing parking at the 3 mile gate. I remember the last time I was there, over a year ago, there was a dozer cleaning up a lumber landing. I asked the operator what was up and he said it might be for future parking. I think the last two parking areas on Gulf Brook Rd are for accessing the newly proposed trail systems.
Honestly, my only concerns are:
-Trash
-Noise
-Human waste (and "Kleenex Flowers")
-Motorized boats- that, I think, is prohibited so one check mark...

If they can make it work better than Lake Colden in the 70's and Heart Lake now, then I'm all for it. If it becomes a junk show, then they will have really screwed up, and putting the genie back in the bottle will be tough.

Really glad I got there each of the past 2 summers, and I look forward to the new trails.