Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Gear, Food, and Survival Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2018, 08:33 AM   #1
rdl

Quilt or mummy bag ?

I'm in the market for a new 3 season bag, looking at a down 10 degree bag. A friend of mine just bought an Enlightened quilt though that looks mighty tempting: 22 oz, 10 degrees.

I tend to move around when I sleep and often wake up needing to adjust my current mummy bag. For that reason a quilt is appealing. I'm a little concerned though about the concept of a quilt and having gaps where heat escapes.

Anyone have experience with a quilt and care to comment about performance at the lower end of the temperature rating ?
rdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 12:43 PM   #2
electbc
Outdoorsman

If i were in the market for a sleeping bag, I would check out a system with a pocket for an air pad. Big Agnes is one, there may be others. Check ratings on REI and other outdoor outfitter websites.
https://www.bigagnes.com/Blackburn-UL-0

https://www.bigagnes.com/Gunn-Creek-30_2

Last edited by electbc; 05-09-2018 at 01:44 PM..
electbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:07 PM   #3
aft paddle

I had a 20 degree (old rating) down, almost rectangular bag I opened and tried as a quilt in mid 20 temps with a good pad. Almost froze until I zipped it back up and was very comfortable. I stress this was not a quilt but large enough to keep me covered.

I had used it as a quilt in warmer temps and found it comfortable and much less restrictive.

Last edited by aft paddle; 05-09-2018 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: addition
aft paddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:15 PM   #4
Woodly

I'd buy a bag
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:36 PM   #5
montcalm
Mobster

I have an older enlightened quilt, actually, a couple of them...

For me, a relatively warm guy, the temp rating is spot on. Any colder than the rating and I'm chilly, but I've remedied that easily with a small blanket.

The quilt is really the way to go if you are side sleeper or if you use a hammock (JMO). I have an enlightened underquilt as well, it's top notch, warm and less fuss than using a sleeping pad in a hammock. You tend to stay really snug with the underquilt and overquilt because the hammock naturally pinches off the draft points on the side. On the ground, it's another story. Make sure you get a quilt big enough cover you well. Enlightened used to make different sizes, and I prefer the largest one. You'll still get a draft when you move, but you get used to it. If it bothers you, carry a small blanket and put it crosswise over the quilt where you get the draft spots. I tend to do that in the really cold temps where the drafts become bothersome. You don't need much, just a little extra weight to keep the edges down near the shoulder/trunk. Because the footbox is integrated, you won't have any issues down low and it's roomy enough to easily roll around.

For really cold, winter camping, I would definitely recommend using a bag and suffering with the shortcomings. Its best attribute is keeping warmth. For 3 season use, I'd never go back to a bag. I can regulate warm temps and movement better with the quilt, and still keep myself warm down to what the bag is rated for. If in doubt, go 10 deg lower on the rating. I have one warmer and one lighter, and even in the summer, the warmer quilt is comfortable.

BTW, my warmer bag is a 20 I believe, and I've found that more than adequate for Adirondack 3 season camping. I actually use my 30 deg bag most often. 10 will probably be overkill, but certainly should keep you very warm down to 15-20 degrees (realistically).
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:02 PM   #6
rdl

thanks for the input so far...

My reason for shopping now is I've got a permit for a JMT hike this September. I don't want to become an ultralight fanatic, but keeping weight down is a consideration in my purchase decisions. I think I've narrowed down my bag choice to this: REI Magma, although REI's "fitted" style makes me nervous. I'm not a big person, but I tend to move a lot while sleeping. I'll look a little more closely at the Big Agnes products.

I've spent many Sept nights in the Sierra Nevada's and have only once had the temps go below 10 degrees, so that's what I'm targeting for a temperature rating.

I've used a North Face Cats Meow(20 degrees) for 3 season Adirondack camping and have always been comfortable temperature wise.

The quilts I've look at have a foot box and some type of attachment system to a sleeping pad. @Montcalm -- with your Enlightened quilt, how does that attachment system work ?
rdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:09 PM   #7
montcalm
Mobster

I don't use the attachment system, but I've tried it. I'm not a fan. It has the same shortcomings as a bag if you move - you get all wadded up. Granted, the system mine has is not great (don't know if they've changed it), but it's just two straps that go around your pad and then the quilt snaps to them. In theory it could work, but the straps slide. Thermarest had a better design which used a full elastic lined blanket which goes over the pad and then the quilt snaps to that. I've never tried it with the enlightened (don't know if it would interface) but I've tested the Thermarest system. They don't make low temp quilts though (or at least they didn't used to).

The footbox on my enlightened has a drawstring at the bottom, a snap, a zipper and then another snap up by the knee. It's about knee height. It's a bombproof footbox and it easily converts to just a blanket. I almost always use the footbox unless it's hot to where the point I don't use the blanket much or at all.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:53 PM   #8
Grandpa Paddler
Old Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodly View Post
I'd buy a bag
Me too!
Old 05-10-2018, 08:16 AM   #9
wiiawiwb

I've switched over to the dark side and now use a quilt from Enlightened Equipment. I'll never go back to a bag.

Two recommendations I'd make if getting an EE quilt. Get the XL and XW whether your skinny as a twig or short. Get the 0F quilt. I got the 10F and will probable send it back for them to stuff a little more. The difference in weight is nothing and provides a hair more warmth.
wiiawiwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 01:07 PM   #10
coldfeet

I picked up a EE Revelation (?) a few years ago, 30f. Love it! I'm a belly sleeper and stretch out my arms so I asked for the longer and wider version. I'm not counting ounces. I do not use the clips to strap it around the pad. Can't recall the lowest temps I took that out in, thinking mid to upper 20's.

I picked that rating because 4-5 years ago I picked up a Western Mountaineering Sequoia 5F that is wide and long also because I twist and turn. Not to sure what I would choose for a 10F bag? I'm thinking a sleeping bag.

I also have a great LL Bean rectangular 20F down bag which I love.
coldfeet is offline   Reply With Quote