Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2006, 04:14 PM   #1
soco7tyx7

West Canada Lakes traveling conditions

how are the road conditions back to the WCL area this time of year? are thet maintaned during winter months? also would they be passable with a 2 wheel vehicle? just for clarification, i'm talking about the roads leading to Cedar Lakes out of Inlet. thanks in advance.

-Jon
soco7tyx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 05:13 PM   #2
Boreal Chickadee

Are you asking about the roads through the MRRA? (Moose River Recreation Area) You won't be driving through there until late spring. Those are snowmobile roads in the winter.
Boreal Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 06:51 PM   #3
soco7tyx7

awww poo platter! well is there any way to get to the West Cananda Lakes area then during the winter months?
Old 01-02-2006, 08:10 PM   #4
Boreal Chickadee

You can drive south from outside of Indian Lake (at the big bend in the road by the golf course) to get to the eastern entrance of MRRA.
Boreal Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 08:43 PM   #5
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by soco7tyx7
awww poo platter! well is there any way to get to the West Cananda Lakes area then during the winter months?
Depending on where you want to hike to, and how far, you can get into the WCLW from the NPT Trailhead in Piseco.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 07:31 PM   #6
soco7tyx7

thanks for the info, but i think we're just gonna try somewhere else that we're sure of. possibly chimney mountain/puffer pond.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:28 PM   #7
fvrwld

Its difficult to get in there because all the roads on the periphery are seasonal. The Haskell Rd trailhead in Piesco would probably be the best way. You could also park at Mason Lake but would have to ski/hike Perkins Clearing Rd. all the while looking over your shoulder for approaching snowmobilers. There is a parking lot on Cedar River road but in the winter you have to pay per day($10 I think).

I used to snowmobile through the Moose River Plains and They get a lot of snow in there. It seems to be in a "snow belt". Breaking trail would be a chore. I would love to see Cedar and West Lake in the winter. Has anyone here ever been in there in the winter?

Last edited by fvrwld; 01-05-2006 at 02:40 PM..
fvrwld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 05:35 PM   #8
Wildernessphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvrwld

I used to snowmobile through the Moose River Plains and They get a lot of snow in there. It seems to be in a "snow belt". Breaking trail would be a chore. I would love to see Cedar and West Lake in the winter. Has anyone here ever been in there in the winter?
Could you snowmobile to the trailhead at Pillsbury mountain and hike from there? (I just found a reason to get a snowmobile)

It's Not A Map...It's a "To-Do" List!
Wildernessphoto is offline   Reply With Quote