Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2008, 09:23 AM   #41
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
I've shown this before, but here it is again...
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/558976567fivnTm
My then 12 year old son built a 12 ft Snowshoe canoe that weighs 10 lb. And it really did cost $100 to build. No, it's not great on big water or windy conditions, but it's great for pond hopping. The construction method could work for nearly any design canoe.
And if it's not practical for all uses, who cares!? Build more for other uses, no single boat can do it all...
Neat boat! very similiar in design features to kayaks I built way back in the early 70's with plans from Popular Mechanics. I ripped 1x2 furring strips with a jig saw,tons of brass wood screws,used 3/4 inch plywood frames and canvas(painted with enamel) from Old Town. The boats are still in use today.

Here is a link with some neat stuff,not what I built but very close.

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/07/...rame/index.htm

Last edited by chairrock; 01-18-2008 at 09:39 AM..
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:26 PM   #42
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Mr. Chairrock,
I took a thorough look at that link.
This is my point exactly!!! You can build nearly any design for not much money and yet have a good performing, extremely light weight boat that would otherwise be out of reach for most people's income.
My wife loves her tupperware kayak, but can't get it on and off the car or down to the water by herself. I plan to build a dacron skinned kayak for her this year. Her main concern is that she does not want a boat that she has to be too careful with, specifically she does not want a stripper. A skinned boat, while seeming fragile, would be less likely to be dragged or bounced along the ground on the way to the water. I'll build it and if she doesn't like it, oh well, I'll just sell it!
And I apologize if I've hijacked this thread...
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote