Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2010, 10:36 AM   #81
VTskier

I was looking over the results posted on Mac's WEB site and boy, there were a lot of DNF on day one! Many in the more experienced classes. Must have been some big wind out there. The attrition rate into the Open Touring class seems very high, so Day 1 must have really tired out many. Glad every is safe and hopefully most had a great time.
VTskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:05 PM   #82
spidennis

At the awards ceremony Brian was saying that for entries they had to turn away 50 ?! wow! ..... and the standup paddle board guy completed all three days ..... on day three, once some of the boats saw the waves in Upper Saranac Lake they decided to turn back around ! The lead guide boat broke a paddle, did a field repair and was back on his way. Incredible! Boats got full of water, some flipped but continued on. At least the wind was on our nose there, on Middle Saranac it was on our beam and made havoc on all the boats trying to make a straight line across the lake. Lots were doing some serious zig zag -ing . If it wasn't wind and waves, then it was rain .... a great mix of tough conditions. At the finish things got chilly as we were just standing around chatting and mingling and such. It was good to get into some dry clothes right away!
spidennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:12 PM   #83
ALGonquin Bob
Lake Lila - Low's Lake carry

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTskier View Post
I was looking over the results posted on Mac's WEB site and boy, there were a lot of DNF on day one! Many in the more experienced classes. Must have been some big wind out there. The attrition rate into the Open Touring class seems very high, so Day 1 must have really tired out many. Glad every is safe and hopefully most had a great time.
There were not many boats on Raquette L. or Marion R. at the 4:30 cut-off time, so many of those must have missed the 3PM cut-off at the bridge. Tough conditions, but memorable I bet!

Check out my "Mountain Blog" http://tinyurl.com/BobMountainBlog2

46er #5357W
ALGonquin Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:14 PM   #84
charlie wilson

Missed Race

I was in Ohio teaching at the MidWest FreeStyle Symposium over the weekend and missed the race, but I see The PB guys made some sort of point - first 5 places to the new Shadow, with at least three RapidFires, including our own "Wilderness" and "SpiDennis", following them in the top nine. ' don't know what the 7th place guy was in. Did any Hornbeck's, 16 or 17, compete? I think the 17's exceed the class length limit.

And, Kerry Shea won the women's side in a RapidFire. Way to go gal; edging some men in their class on time!

Interesting r.e. C-4's; the two Wenonah's becoming the stock class, the 24' strippers forced into running in Open Rec. due to unfair advantage? Bell's NorthShore, developed by adding a parallel three foot center section to the NorthWind having no hydrodynamic chance at competing.

Last edited by charlie wilson; 09-16-2010 at 12:36 AM..
charlie wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:35 PM   #85
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie wilson View Post
I was in Ohio teaching at the MidWest FreeStyle Symposium over the weekend and missed the race, but I see The PB guys made some sort of point - first 5 places to the new Shadow, with at least three RapidFires following that. ' don't know what the 7th place guy was in. Did any Hornbecks, 16/17, compete?
The (the 5 placid boats all in the lead) also drafted each other, taking turns who was in front, for the first portion of each day. Even within a mile of the start, they had a clear lead over all the other boats.

I was told that they are all PlacidBoatworks employees, and each paddler built the boat in which he was paddling.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:38 PM   #86
Wldrns

Quote:
Did any Hornbecks, 16/17, compete?
There were two 14-footers, a kevlar and a carbon/kevlar in open touring. They stayed together the whole time.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:12 PM   #87
charlie wilson

What happened to them?

The Hornbecks don't seem to be listed, did they DNF or did one DNF and the other slip by Bill? Even with the hydrodynamic downside of cheek, the Hornbeck 16 must be 2/3 mph faster than the 14.

The first four were all factory or ex-factory, [Rick], guys. The fifth is a good friend, fellow XC skier and the factory electrician. [And the new lights/outlets work fine!]

I thought your quote from Joe; ".2 mph difference," was incomplete on his part. RF sprints at 7.4 mph, Shadow at 8.5. Huge difference when you are in a hurry. The key to all that is that Shadow is enough narrower that it has a significantly higher speed / length ratio. And, Shadows lower box coefficient, sub length/ width ratio, means it tracks better than RF, even with all that rocker. But she'll never be a tripper, hauling two weeks of gear.

It seems the team could have generously offered you a wake? And Kerry Shea too, in the women's class in another RapidFire

Last edited by charlie wilson; 09-15-2010 at 07:49 PM..
Old 09-14-2010, 10:27 PM   #88
Wldrns

Quote:
I thought your quote from Joe; ".2 mph difference," was incomplete on his part. RF sprints at 7.4 mph, Shadow at 8.5. Huge difference when you are in a hurry. The key to all that is that Shadow is enough narrower that it has a significantly higher speed / length ratio. And, Shadows lower box coefficient, sun length/ width ratio, means it tracks better than RF, even with all that bow rocker. But she'll never be a tripper, hauling two weeks of gear.

It seems the team could have offered you a wake?
It was very windy the day I test paddled the Shadow on the pond, while Joe and company went to lunch. I clocked a total of 3 miles, going back and forth from the dam up to the rocks and shallows - I didn't know the subsurface rock situation so I didn't venture far past the second curve. It was hard to compare the paddling effort of the Shadow in those conditions to the RF. But I attempted to apply a moderate effort and felt it to be a couple of tenths faster than what I felt the RF does in similar conditions. Hard to tell because of the strong wind, but it did seem to be more easily affected by the wind although it turned faster to correct back to course. I did not attempt a full sprint in the wind. I said to Joe I thought that for the same moderate level of energy, the Shadow seemed easily about .2 mph faster. I know now it is greater than that.

On the 90, the usual heavy wake from multiple boats at the race start makes for very confused water and conflicting paddles, tough to ride a wake. By the time things settled down the green shirts were long gone and uncatchable. I caught the wake of a friendly tandem white Clipper for some distance before dropping off, but it was enough to keep me the next PB in line, though at some ever increasing distance behind the 5 tightly clustered Shadows.

I love Brown's Tract. Always have from several years as voyageur bow paddler, figuring out the best line by common feel with a good stern paddler, and knowing just exactly when the stroke needs to cross over to maintain max speed while keeping the boat from ramming into the river bank. The technique is less challenging in the RF, but one still need to figure out how close to cut into the shallows. Boy, did I witness some bad paddling techniques in there this year. Too much bowman slow speed posting without attempting to draw, too much energy robbing poorly done rudder dragging in the stern. Too much ramming the bank and then paddling in reverse. The RF easily passed several boats of all kinds in there.

Then Raquette Lake was quite rough until rounding Long Point. I noticed I was doing better in the rough water than several tandems that had passed me or were well ahead previous to Browns, including the Clipper that earlier left me behind. It didn't pay to wake ride there at all. I passed several. Back in the calmer water beyond, they resumed their lead.

Day 3, I wasn't feeling well. I was awakened at 2:00 AM by a phone call for a SAR in Rodman, which of course I couldn't do. It took a long time to get back to sleep. Turns out I was developing a cold, which has me in its grips today. That may explain my exceptionally low energy on day 3.

Big rolling waves and white caps met us head-on on Upper Saranac Lake. This is only the second time in 14 years of the 90 that I recall wearing of PFD as mandatory. The green shirts easily left everyone behind. I found my Clipper friends, but they were only doing 3.5 mph or less while trying to stay upright. Still, they cut the waves and wind, enough to make my job much easier and I wasn't feeling all that well. About half way down USL they had to pull ashore to dump out 6 inches of water. With my front half spray cover, I took on almost no water at all. I set my sights for a second Clipper some distance ahead, who had always been much further ahead of the one I followed. Again, the RF seemed to handle the waves better and faster than any tandem around, and I easily caught that faster Clipper. I followed them until they too had to dump water for their second time.

Last edited by Wldrns; 09-14-2010 at 10:40 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:16 PM   #89
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

You don't have to be a naval arcitect to see that the Shadow is a Much faster hull than anything else out there. Of course the 5 paddlers in the boats also would have been the top 5 even in the Rapidfires. 2 of the women paddled kayaks in the class, I was the only canoe in the class that wasn't a Placid Boatworks craft. I paddled the woodstrip I built this summer, just shy of 16', a bit more rounded bottom than the rapidfire but about the same width and 30 pounds. At 220 pounds , I'm about the weight that Wilderness or Spydennis would be with a full load of camping gear so the longer boat helps. There are several things I'd change if I deside to build another. Definately more tumblehome where the paddle enters the water to get the stroke closer to the centerline. I made the stern rather full so it wouldn't squat down in the shallows, the marathon canoes are made that way and it worked well for that purpose, but I'd reduce the volume a bit and make more of a V to help with the tracking in the crosswinds. Did anyone mention the crosswinds both on the first and last days. Middle Saranac was a bear. The stern also didn't come off the mold as smooth as I planned just a bit of ripple that isn't good for speed, that would need to be fixed, to much torque in putting some of the bottom strips on . The real positives are the 30 pound weight, I'd definately stick with the 4 oz cloth , my laminated inwales are light , stiff and attractive. The flair above the waterline in the bow worked to keep the boat dry especially on Upper Saranac, there were some wicked winds and big waves out there. I also like the traditional old school look it gives the boat. And my sliding seat and portage yoke system were simple , light and effective. I origionally thought I needed more rocker in the bow and I may add a bit more in another boat but with a good lean it did fine turning in Browns Tract and in the big cross winds Speaking of running parrallel to the big waves, if I timed a paddle stroke at the top of a wave when the bow was well out of the water I could spin the boat back on course without to much trouble, took me a while to figure that one out though, never had the boat on any real rough water like we saw on Sunday .

I did drop down kind of hard on the seat at the end of Bartletts carry , landed on the backband and pulled the screw out that held it in on the right side. Paddled over to the other side, stood on a rock , got my Leatherman tool out of the fanny pack and fixed it on the spot, cost me a few minutes but no big deal. The Boy Scout motto "Be Prepared" made this an inconvience rather than a real problem. I also dropped my paddle while trying to get a clump of weeds off the bow and had to paddle backwards with my hands to pick it up only a couple miles from the finish on day 2. Having our class start in the 6'th wave rather than right behind the open touring and guideboats seemed to put us right in the middle of the traffic on the portages, several minute holdups at a couple of them. The Shadows were probably ahead of this problem, like miles ahead in the course of the 3 days. I'd never seen any real holdups in years past except at Browns Tract.

One of the more enjoyable aspects of the event is a friendliness of most everyone involved. From Brian Mac Donald, to the volunteers to all the racers. You pass the same slower boats each day, get passed by the same faster boats each day and recognise many paddlers from years past. I rowed a guideboat last year and all the guys in that class were wondering why I switched classes, had dinner one night with Chris Hoyt one of the rowers. Told them I was getting old and this 30 pound boat is a might easier to carry than the guideboat with oars and all. I did row the guideboat in the Round the Mountain race in the spring and I may bring it up to Long Lake on the 25'th of Sept too.

I allways enjoy this event and look forward to it every year, meeting all the people involved and just knowing I can still do something like this at near 60 years old. The hardest part is the first 20-25 minutes of the second day, takes a while to get loosened up and into the flow of things. By the end of day three your body has adjusted to the work load and you feel as though you could go on and do this every day.

Oh, Spydennis, your mother is really great, please thank her for being so nice to my 81 year old mother who just loves to come to watch this race through all three days. We'll have to keep the Whitney Loop in mind for next summer we may be able to but a nice little group together for that one. You seem to be a good writer maybe you could put together something for Adirondack Life or some such thing. It been published enough so it's no big secret anymore. I keep having thoughts about a Cannonball as well, though My wife would probably protest that one pretty loud.

John M. A Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:38 PM   #90
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Yankee View Post
... Of course the 5 paddlers in the boats also would have been the top 5 even in the Rapidfires.
Which is exactly why I won't be replacing my RF with a Shadow. Nice as it is, the Shadow for all practical purposes has only one advantage over the RF, and that is for this race. For normal recreational paddling in the Adirondacks a few tenths of a mph faster does not make up for increased practical capacity of an already owned RF.

I finished in 6th place, but as long as the PBW boys in green are in the race (even though they are my friends), there's just no point, no matter how much I train, Yukon marathon endurance training or not, there's no way that I would expect to finish the 90 ahead of any of them even if I had a new $3,000+ Shadow.

Makes me think next year maybe I'll go back to my voyageur roots instead.

Last edited by Wldrns; 09-14-2010 at 11:51 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:28 AM   #91
charlie wilson

Maybe

I agree that DY designs seakindly bottoms; they always seem to shed waves and spray.

I've commissioned a Shadow as my early morning workout boat but I trip in FlashFire / DragonFly; because I kneel for better control.

Paul, you paddled well. It's impossible odds to give up 15 to 20 years to five fellow endurance athletes, geology and glaciation being what it is. [Did I mention I as teaching FreeStyle in Ohio? 500 miles seemed about right for someone with a 20-30 year gap.

Next year they'll need to campaign the tandem; removing at least two green shirts from the solo rec class.

Any high performance solo canoe / pack canoe / whatever is a fine choice for touring the Adirondacks. Cuts way down on committee meetings and procedural votes!

rock steady, charlie

Last edited by charlie wilson; 09-16-2010 at 12:33 AM..
Old 09-15-2010, 04:57 PM   #92
Kerry

I entered this race with no previous racing experience (not just canoe—I have never raced at anything), and no crew (Prague is very nice in September, I hear) and with tendonitis in both shoulders. My original goal was not to be last. I have had the RF since mid May and I have paddled all the sections of the 90 miler for fun, but I have always paddled in nice weather. I have a low angle stroke and a small blade; hence I generate little power/speed into the wind. I struggled with this for the entire race, but especially on Upper Saranac. Mostly I wasn’t paying much attention until the 8th lake carry, which I ran, passing many boats (note: if you are a woman running with a solo boat on your shoulder, every woman you pass, cheers for you. This is a nice thing). Also in the race--Jennifer, 15 years younger, 5 inches taller a speed skater and triathlete, paddling a Hornbeck kayak, outran me on all the carries for the entire race. She was able to close the distance between us completely as we stalled in the line. Once I got back on the water, I won this race on Browns Tract, partly because I have a certain amount of kayak training and partly because of the design of the RF. I hit every turn and beaver dam, passing relentlessly with leans and sweep strokes and one bow rudder, easily sliding by less agile boats. I paddled part of the remaining miles with Dennis and then finished just a little behind him. The second day of the race is one of my favorite paddles. Jennifer bolted ahead, drafting off John, but despite the headwind at the north end of the lake I was able to catch up. At the carry she again sprinted ahead, which was both amazing and dismaying to watch as my double digit lead evaporated. Oh, but I love this river and with about 4 miles to go I was able to pass her again. I had a great day on the water. The wind diminished; the sun came out; people threw snickers bars into my boat. I didn’t sleep that night and woke up sick and exhausted. Paddling into the head wind, I fell far behind, but on Middle Saranac I found the RF handled the beam waves beautifully, even better perhaps than my kayak, so that by first pond I had again closed the gap to about 1:30. Here I made a tactical error. Having vomited breakfast and only eaten ˝ a candy bar since, I decided, given my overall 17 minute lead, to maintain the distance rather than try to overtake her again. This turned out to be a poor decision as the carry completely clogged and I remained stranded 20+ boats behind. Still I was lucky as we moved through quickly, and in truth I needed the brief rest. Then through the stumps behind a c-4 and home. I feel a little bad that I did not finish strong the 3rd day.
I liked the RF very much before the race; I like it more now. A friend suggested I might find the shadow even more fun….we’ll see. I had a nice time and enjoyed meeting people and watching all the different types of competitors and spectators. Then I cam home and went to work
Kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:09 PM   #93
spidennis

my mom took a few pics ......
thanks mom!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1038a.jpg (95.6 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1047a.jpg (103.2 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1052a.jpg (113.3 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1053a.jpg (111.9 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1054a.jpg (108.5 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1056a.jpg (114.3 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1061a.jpg (73.4 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1075a.jpg (120.1 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1092a.jpg (132.9 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1093a.jpg (56.6 KB, 96 views)
Old 09-15-2010, 09:41 PM   #94
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

You were in one of the Shadows? I went to school with Stephan Bibb.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:49 AM   #95
spidennis

and hows about a few more ....
(oops, fell asleep while uploading on dialup last night)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1102a.jpg (105.2 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1104a.jpg (101.0 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1105a.jpg (89.9 KB, 284 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1128a.jpg (89.9 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1142a.jpg (123.2 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1143a.jpg (134.0 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1163a.jpg (129.5 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1230a.jpg (143.5 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1241a.jpg (120.6 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1286a.jpg (91.5 KB, 80 views)

Last edited by spidennis; 09-16-2010 at 08:10 AM..
Old 09-16-2010, 08:26 AM   #96
spidennis

and the last batch ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1322a.jpg (59.3 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1349a.jpg (95.3 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1350a.jpg (88.9 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1351a.jpg (80.2 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1353a.jpg (128.2 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1355a.jpg (119.6 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1370a.jpg (89.0 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1371a.jpg (109.2 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1373a.jpg (102.6 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1378a.jpg (62.0 KB, 73 views)
Old 09-16-2010, 08:29 AM   #97
spidennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
You were in one of the Shadows? I went to school with Stephan Bibb.
nope, though I would have liked to have caught onto the Shadow Train ....
Old 09-16-2010, 09:34 AM   #98
Awetcanoe
Just spashin'

Ahh that was your mom up above Axton shooting pics, I am the one single blading the RF as I was cruising back from Stony Creek. If I was paying better attention I would have waved hi.
Awetcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:17 AM   #99
spidennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awetcanoe View Post
Ahh that was your mom up above Axton shooting pics, I am the one single blading the RF as I was cruising back from Stony Creek. If I was paying better attention I would have waved hi.
I saw that was a PBW boat being single bladed without a race number and was wondering who that was ...... mystery solved! But didn't notice you while paddling but I did notice another RapidFire parked on the rocks on the third(?) day , in the same place as it was last year. Was it after Bartlet Carry, or after the "state bridge"? ...... all the rocks are blending together .........

And I'd like to thank everyone for sharing in their race reports. I'd think this would be great reading for others interested in the 90. Now if we can get a couple of reports from some of those factory guys ......
Old 09-16-2010, 06:05 PM   #100
8thday
**BANNED**

Who's that guy on the stand on board? Did he finish fast enough all 3 days? Did he fall off anywhere along the way? Curious minds are wondering.
8thday is offline   Reply With Quote