Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2016, 04:54 PM   #81
nash.p

Charlie Wilson,

Thanks for explaining the weight discrepancy. When I spoke with the Swift employee when ordering the boat, I went out of my way to stress that I wanted the lightest material. So I am disappointed that it is not what I got.

But the Kee 14 I have paddles very well for me, and the two pounds is unimportant except for portaging. And I am already looking to get an extremely lightweight boat for trips with significant portages.

I've got these boats on my radar for my 2nd canoe:

Placid Boatworks Spitfire (12');
Savage River Wee Lassie (11.5');
Savage River Illusion (13.5');
A new Swift 12.5? With a webbing seat and Textreme outer layer, that could be significantly lighter than my Kee 14.

I suppose I should also include a Hornbeck BlackJack New Tricks 11 or 12.

The Savage River Wee Lassie is stated to be available with a weight of 13 pounds. That weight is very appealing. I don't know if the lack of flotation tanks should be a concern.
nash.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:09 PM   #82
Rich Lockwood

My Savage river wee lassie had foam ribs. Perhaps they provide enough flotation? I never sunk mine, so I can't speak from experience. mine was 15# I think, but I ordered an extra layer of Kevlar.
Turtle
Rich Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:54 PM   #83
dmartenvt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lockwood View Post
Hornbeck's New Trick models are narrower than the original model. They come in two layups, several lengths and are all lite. Don't eliminate them without looking.
Turtle
I have a Hornbeck new trick and really like it, mainly because it's so easy to pop on my car, and I can carry a reasonable amount of gear in it even though it weighs so little. It's not a boat for rough water though. I'm used to treating my canoes/kayaks rather roughly, and while I've tried to baby this one a little more than I normally would, it has held up well. If I had the $ though I'd go with Placid Boatworks. I lust after them, but they are considerably more expensive.
dmartenvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:03 PM   #84
dmartenvt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash.p View Post
Im also wondering about getting a lighter canoe. My Swift weighs 28 pounds, and the yoke adds 2 more pounds. I see that the Savage River Wee Lassie (11-6) weighs 13 pounds. Also, Savage River is introducing a new model, the Illusion (13-6). I spoke with Ben at Savage River last week, and he indicated that the Illusion could definitely be made under 20 pounds. So Im wondering how folks generally figure out the trade-off between performance on the water and performance on the portage. When I think about my sore muscles I start to think about getting the lightest canoe available.

Personally, I have given up a bit of the performance I would have liked so that I can easily portage, and lifting on and off my car without assistance is a big deal to me. I think it depends on your lifestyle, but I personally had to choose the lighter weight and give up some of the things I would have preferred, because otherwise, it would have been impractical for me to use. So I get to go out more, because I'm not limited by how far I can carry it.
dmartenvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:35 PM   #85
nash.p

"Personally, I have given up a bit of the performance I would have liked so that I can easily portage . . . . So I get to go out more, because I'm not limited by how far I can carry it."

I have come to the same conclusion. A portage you won't make because of the weight of the boat is a significant limitation.

This weekend I spent two days paddling at Craig Lake State Park in Michigan. I had a great time, but I decided not to portage to Clair Lake because of the weight of my boat. Actually, I could have made the portage without too much difficulty, but I wasn't highly motivated and had limited time. But if my boat weighed 18 pounds instead of 28.6 pounds I would probably have made the trip to Clair Lake. An ultralight boat will have performance limitations but it will allow more freedom to explore less populated lakes.

Today I made the decision to order a Savage River Illusion. It should come in a good 10 pounds lighter than my Swift Kee 14.
nash.p is offline   Reply With Quote