Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2008, 11:30 AM   #21
Troutfisher

A friend of mine's uncle bought that bus with the intent of using it for a boat house, back in the late 60's. His name was Irvin Jones. The bus was purchased from the Hammond School District. Mr. Jones was recycling before recycling was popular!
Troutfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:22 PM   #22
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
Mr. T.,
What's with the old bus that looks to be a boat house? Any story behind it? And right after that photo is one that appears to be a drive up boat launch on a dirt road, where might that be? And BTW, I think one of the photos is upside down, I rarely see ripples in the sky like the photo in row twelve...
And how's the water depths? CL, the open parts, anyway, are not really suited for my low sheer, open canoes. But, the open waters would be ideal to sail/camp on. I need about 48 inches of water to not bottom out...
I sail a Lightning, which draws 6 feet with the board down. Just stay away from the danger buoys and away from the shore, depends where of course but there is plenty of deep water. I think the deepest is less than 50 feet, that is why it get rough so quickly.

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:11 AM   #23
Troutfisher

Another pic of the bus boathouse.............
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cranberry Lake 001.jpg (81.2 KB, 287 views)
Old 08-06-2008, 10:14 AM   #24
Troutfisher

A pic of Cranberry from one of the campsites............
Attached Images
File Type: jpg island.jpg (123.6 KB, 290 views)
Old 08-06-2008, 01:33 PM   #25
madison

current conditions?

Hey, sorry to intrude on ongoing discussion with questions, but this seemed the appropriate thread. I'm headed up to Cranberry tomorrow for a 4- day stay on Dead Creek Flow and I'm wondering if anyone can give me a first hand account of the weather conditions. Wunderground says rain every day, but sometimes they are off- I hope this is one of those times!

Also, is there a shop where you can buy ice near the launch in Wanakena? I've launched from there before but it's been a while and I can't remember.

Thanks in advance to any who can offer info.
madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 01:52 PM   #26
Troutfisher

The Pine Cone Resturant is near the launch at Wanakena, I'm not sure if you can get ice there. There is a store in the hamlet of Cranberry Lake, just up the road.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:55 PM   #27
Swamp Booger

Madison,
How about a trip report when you get back? I've been thinking about checking out Dead Creek Flow, but don't know if I'll get there this summer. I'm especially curious about the campsites in Black Duck Hole. Thanks and may you be blessed with a great time!
Swamp Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:14 PM   #28
MikeT

madison

I live only 35 miles from Cranberry Lake, as well as paddle there frequently on the weekends. Three times per week, my work takes me to Tupper Lake and Saranac Lake.

So far, this summer in the North Country has proved to be exceptionally unsettled as regards localized wind, rain, thunder and lightening. By the way, as you probably know already, Cranberry Lake can be a thunder and lightening magnet.

Unfortunately the Weather Underground forecasts for our area have proved to be all too accurate. My best guess that this weekend's forecast will also be accurate; my hope for you is that it will not be accurate for that specific part of paddling paradise in which you are actually paddling.

That said, you will have a great time as long as you have "Plan B". Let the evolving weather conditions dictate/curb your ambitions as necessary. Note: I am semonizing to myself NOT to you.

Have a great trip on a great body of water! We'll all be waiting for the trip report.

See you on the water.

MikeT

Last edited by MikeT; 08-06-2008 at 07:23 PM.. Reason: Just fussing.
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:14 PM   #29
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

It is raining right now, but I figure =I'll blink and it will stop. But if I blink again it will start,again,,,,loop loop loop....

How was the trip?

There is a store in Wanakena,btw.

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:24 PM   #30
skichucky
I Heart Freshies

cranberry lake

Just got back from cranberry lake. stayed on campsite #21, on a point on Joe Indian Island. Awesome site, some big flies though that stung like mad. Not bad at night and morning or with a fire though. lots of fire wood and a great site, rocky point. Hiked bear mountain, short hike, small opening on south end. Little traffic. Went to the "sliding falls" and it rocked!!!!! DO NOT attempt the left side (sliders left). We had a nice pad and i went down this side on my second run and hurt like the banchees. Still having difficulty sitting, really injured my tailbone. will be posting a video on you-tube soon. it was sweet though, must do. Short hike from the trailhead by sixmile creek. bring a pad! or tube! boaters were so-so. some coming too close for comfort considering we had 2 dogs with us. not many powerboaters though on the side of the lake where we were. perfect weather, waves were not an issue most of the time. first day was a little choppy. great place though
skichucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:37 AM   #31
Paul Ruszczyk

Cranberry Lake

Just got back from 4 days and three nights on Joe Indian Island. Picture perfect weather. Took my son and his two friends and their father on their first canoe trip. Saw the previous poster with his two dogs and stayed at the next campsite. Our boys were kind of excited and noisy and I hope they did not bother you too much. Went to the sliding rock and had a great time. Stay to the right is good advice. Got several big fish including a pike that was at least two feet long. Lots of firewood laying around on the ground and it did not seem like the site had been used much this year. Some motorboat activity but not enough to bother us

Last edited by Paul Ruszczyk; 09-23-2008 at 03:25 PM.. Reason: Trying to add a picture
Paul Ruszczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:45 PM   #32
MikeT

Check it out!

Recently developed 50 mile hiking trail that circumnavigates Cranberry lake http://cranberrylake50.org/

This trail should open up endless paddle/hike and hike/paddle options for those whose knees are not yet too "tired" - unfortunately that does not include me. I'm an old fart who paddles along in his kayak, wondering where his knees' get up and go, got up and went.

For a complete guide to Cranberry Lake area resources, suggest checking out the information put together by the non-profit Clifton-Fine Economic Development Corporation http://cranberrylake50.org/area_resources.htm

A great area for outdoor recreation just got even better.

MikeT

Last edited by MikeT; 08-31-2008 at 09:36 PM.. Reason: Added link to Cranberry Lake resources.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:52 PM   #33
MikeT

Update/Revision of Cranberry Lake GPS Waypoints

Expect to be paddling on Cranberry "soon".

Until then, I have to content myself with paddling on Hannawa Pond; and playing with Goggle Earth Version 5.0.

Mike
Old 04-11-2009, 09:51 AM   #34
MikeT

Ice is out!!

Got a message from a Cranberry Lake year-around-resident, dated April 4th, that the ice was out of the main body of lake as far as they could see from Cranberry Lake Village.

However, my guess is that in some back flows (e.g. Bear Mountain Flow) ice may not have melted yet. I plan to be paddling on Cranberry soon.

Check out Post #3 on this thread:
http://adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=11154

On April 9th, I personally observed that the ice was out of Tupper Lake.

MikeT
Old 04-19-2009, 08:08 PM   #35
MikeT

What a lovely sunny day;

what a lovely sunny place: Cranberry Lake!

Cranberry Lake Village direct paddle to camp Site #25 on Joe Indian: friendly NE wind gently pushing you where you want to go; could have paddled a bath tub without a skirt.

Around Joe Indian and back toward Cranberry Lake State Campground: "friendly" NE afternoon wind is kicking up to 15 mph to 20 mph and I am going due North - this is why god made kayaks, and I am so happy with her discision to do so.

Nine miles: a good start to the Cranberry Lake paddling season - not like last year on May 6th when I thought I get an unscheduled sleep over on Joe Indian Island.

MikeT

Last edited by MikeT; 04-19-2009 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: Just fussing.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:35 PM   #36
MikeT

Update on Brandy Brook Floating Fishing Camps

On a late May 2008 Brandy Brook Flow paddle, I first noticed the removal of the floating fishing camps.

http://adkforum.com/showthread.php?t...ndy+brrok+flow

Since that time residual debris has been gradually removed; and today except for a couple of blue plastic barrels, a few rusted anchor pipes, and a small pile of debris at the far end of Brandy Brook Flow, little trace of the camps remains.

It’s seems a little strange and even a bit sad not to have the camps there, and overall the area looks much improved. With high water I managed paddle up to a small rapids below a bridge that carries the Burntbridge Pond Trail over Brandy Brook.

Great day on Cranberry today: not too much rain and some sun; windy enough to ground the critters and not enough wind to sink the boat; 3 to 4 power boats at a distance; nary another paddler sighted, until I met two other kayakers at the Cranberry Lake Public Campground swimming beach take out!

Last edited by MikeT; 06-10-2009 at 09:34 PM.. Reason: Seaching for perfection - naw, just fussing!