Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2008, 09:23 PM   #41
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

More progress

Hey, if you guys (and gals) are getting tired of me clogging up the posts, let me know...
In the mean time, the first side is now fully stripped. Next steps are to trim to the keel line and trim each stem so the second side can be stripped. The strips sometimes wander out of plane between the forms, so a few staples here and there keep them in line. Eventually, all of the staples will be pulled using that modified offset screwdriver.
Oh, and here is what 3.25 oz/sq yd cloth looks like, quite thin!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0890 small.jpg (68.9 KB, 289 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0893 small.jpg (108.1 KB, 292 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0896 small.jpg (51.7 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0898 small.jpg (100.1 KB, 288 views)
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 11:05 AM   #42
Riosacandaga
soggy

This is a great thread. Thank you for sharing... sorry about the fridge.
Riosacandaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 01:02 PM   #43
DRIFTER

Great pix and again, keep em coming!
DRIFTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 11:57 PM   #44
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

OK, I had an hour or so tonight...
The 1st 2 photos how to trim the stems. The handsaw is held touching both the stem form and the next form (either #1 or #14, bow or stern), so that the angle it cuts will be just right when the strips from the second side come out to join the others. You just follow the forms and its hard to miss!
I then snap a line straight down the keel line. Then I use a 4" circular trim saw
to cut the excess strips to the keel line. This cut line needs to be pretty straight, and since any wiggles really show up. I generally sand the keel line straight with a long sanding block. Later on, the second side strips will be cut to fit the keel/cut line. But if your battery runs down in the middle of the cut, you're done for the night!
Last photo shows a section of the hull with the most tumblehome and tightest radius. I popped the staples out and sanded a portion to be sure that the hull would fair in nicely. It's cool, I was worried about making the strips fit well enough. Looks like I got lucky, again...
Again, if anyone wants to see the in person, now's the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0906 small.jpg (67.8 KB, 280 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0907 small.jpg (59.5 KB, 281 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0910 small.jpg (50.6 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0912 small.jpg (57.6 KB, 281 views)
Old 04-14-2008, 04:51 PM   #45
Sasquatch

Cool. I just ordered a book from the library on making a kevlar canoe. I've never built any type of boat, but I'm thinking about it. I've heard that the kevlar is easier than a strip built boat, but a lot more expensive.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:32 PM   #46
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Sasquatch,
This stripper will cost between $400 and $500, I think. I haven't checked the prices of Kevlar lately. You are going to need a mold or plug, right? Anyway, I'm a firm believer of just jumping in, so do it man!
These next photos show the second side coming along. I have the keel line trimmed and sanded straight. And here's a close up view of the strips meeting at the stem. Now you can see why the stems were trimmed as they were.
Thanks for boosting my motivation, all...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0915 small.jpg (85.0 KB, 266 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0918 small.jpg (47.9 KB, 265 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0920 small.jpg (74.3 KB, 266 views)
Old 04-14-2008, 10:12 PM   #47
DuctTape
Out of Shape

I wish I could see this in person, but the photos are a good enough substitute. Keep 'em coming.
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:19 PM   #48
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

14 strips left to go!!!

This part of the build is my favorite. Reminds me of framing houses... it goes fast, you can easily see the progress, and you don't need to be too fussy. I forget how much I enjoy building boats. Anyway, I had to quit for the night, I need to wait for the glue to dry, I'm at a tough spot...lot's of twist. The next 14 strips will need to be fit at both ends.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0928 small.jpg (82.8 KB, 255 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0940 small.jpg (81.9 KB, 256 views)
Old 04-19-2008, 07:45 AM   #49
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Finished stripping!!

So now the stripping is finished!! In the 1st photo, you can see how I've cut the piece of strip to fit, and in the 2nd photo that piece is in place. The strips on this hull have a lot of curve in them and it's very difficult to fit each end and the overall length. So I just fit one end, cut the strip near a form, and then fit the other end and make a butt splice in between. The grain and coloring of the spliced strip still matches, and I don't become suicidal trying to get the strips perfect!
3rd photo shows the last strip being stapled into place.
And finally, the fully stripped hull.
Next up is to trim both stems, remove all the staples (about 1400), and then sand the hull.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0960 small.jpg (73.0 KB, 241 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0961 small.jpg (88.3 KB, 238 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0970 small.jpg (76.0 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0978 small.jpg (109.5 KB, 239 views)
Old 04-20-2008, 09:17 PM   #50
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

I trimmed the stems and promptly had a strip split and break a glue joint. Not to worry, it's just a temporary problem. The hull looks like a canoe now. Pulled all of the staples except for 4, that's to keep the hull from shifting around on the forms while sanding. Just spent 1 and 1/2 hours sanding and I'm maybe 1/4 finished. The stems look a little unsightly just now, they will be smoothly radiused a bit later. Still have to strip a couple of panels to use for the decks and bulkheads.
Not too exciting anymore, next big step is glassing the outside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0979 small.jpg (70.7 KB, 222 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0982 small.jpg (102.4 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0990 small.jpg (102.8 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0992 small.jpg (117.2 KB, 219 views)
Old 04-20-2008, 11:43 PM   #51
charlie wilson

Seems to be a beautiful job! Can we have a side view?
charlie wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:19 AM   #52
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Charlie,
I have a difficult time to get a clear shot of the hull from the side, but if I change perspectives, maybe!
I'm glad you're asking, at least I know someone is looking at my constant posts...
Yeah, it has a beautiful set of curves to it, the wood really accentuates the lines.
Sorry to hear about your loss of the plug. Any leads yet?
Old 04-21-2008, 08:41 AM   #53
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Quite a few of us are following your photos of the process, at least I am. Thanks foir taking the time to show us.
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:37 AM   #54
charlie wilson

New stripper and plug

While your DY stripper is a work of art; hands and heart, DY's strippers intended for a short life as a plug are more utilitarian,

It takes three days for DY to strip and glass a plug. Any problems are solved by duct taping the inside and applying bondo. DY uses cove & bead pine strips because no-one will ever portage the thing. We then apply ~3 gallons of progressively harder tooling material, sanding maybe, a third of that off.

What worries me isn't that some entity will start making counterfeit SpitFires. It is that, if capsized, the plug will likely sink like a stone. With spring's cold water and the likelihood that the plug is not in the hands of an experienced paddler, this has big downside potential.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:39 PM   #55
Sasquatch

Glad to see the boat going so well. I might reconsider the kevlar. I just looked at prices and GOOD GRAVY! It'd be almost worth it to just buy one. Thing is, I've really wanted to build my own boat. Money is a consideration though. I'm thinking of building a Wacky Lassie for my boys (plywood stitch and glue) as a practice boat. Not the same types of work, but a confidence builder none the less. Keep the pics coming.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:19 PM   #56
charlie wilson

Kev on strippers

kevlar cannot be used on the outside of strippers. It will never sand smooth. I suppose carbon could be used outside, ut that beautiful wood strip look would be blackened over.

In a perfect world, kev could be used as an inner layer, but only after perfect internal sanding.

And truly, both are quite pricey!

Last edited by charlie wilson; 04-23-2008 at 08:06 AM..
Old 04-22-2008, 03:40 PM   #57
VTskier

I've been following along. Brings back many happy memories. I remember getting to this point and thinking I'd be done in days. So young (I wish) and stupid :-)

I must say that I enjoyed the wood stripping process the most. The fiberglassing went very well, just was very nerve racking since it was my first time.

I can't wait to see it floating in the water

Brian
VTskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:18 PM   #58
Sasquatch

The Kevlar wouldn't be over strips, it would be the hull. Kevlar form with glass overtop.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:05 AM   #59
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

VTskier, (or Brian)
Yeah, me too! I've built quite a few boats and it's always a struggle for me to "finish" a boat. I get so eager to get the things in the water, that I sometimes leave them a little rough. But I'm really trying to truly finish everything that I build.
BTW, why the trike? I'm a road rider too!
Mr. Sasquatch, there are easier ways to build a stripper. If you look at David Hazen's Strippers Guide, you'll see that some tasks can be easier than the methods that I employ.
A stitch and glue could be a good learning boat, and you still would have something that's serviceable and nice to look at. Don't sell them short.
A skin on frame could suit you as well, and can be very inexpensive to build.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:33 AM   #60
Riosacandaga
soggy

Every time I stop by here and see Mike has posted something new I always log into to see some pictures... what a disappointment today ! This is almost as bad as learning there is no beer in that fridge.
Great job, thanks for taking the time to include us in your project. That boat looks sweet !
Riosacandaga is offline   Reply With Quote