Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Biking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
MikeinMaryland

Bike Trips Near Rainbow Lake with a Hybrid

Hello,

I'm going to be staying on Rainbow Lake this August and plan to bring my hybrid bike along. I'm looking for information on any trails or dirt roads in the area that would doable on a hybrid because I prefer the solitude of being in the woods to road biking. I'd like to do half day or full day trips.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

- Mike
MikeinMaryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:25 PM   #2
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

This may not help but I've successfully ridden my hybrid with slicks on trails in the ADKs. These were pretty well worn with minimal rocks. I was surprised at how much grip slick tires have on roots and hard packed single track.

The big concern for me was bending the rim. They don't have the strength of a mtn bike rim so I kept my speeds low.

As far as biking in the ADKs a lot of the legal trails are pretty wide open i.e. snowmobile or old logging trails. Mud will be an issue with skinny tires no matter what. Some trails can be sandy and that can be a real killer, even with knobby tires, depending on how packed it is.

If you have a semi knobby tire (the ones with knobs on the side and slick in the middle) you will probably be fine on most trails. If you have a full slick you might end up walking the bike through the rougher stuff. I would give it a shot and be sure to bring a spoke wrench and know how to use it!
l'oiseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:32 PM   #3
MikeinMaryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by l'oiseau View Post
This may not help but I've successfully ridden my hybrid with slicks on trails in the ADKs. These were pretty well worn with minimal rocks. I was surprised at how much grip slick tires have on roots and hard packed single track.

The big concern for me was bending the rim. They don't have the strength of a mtn bike rim so I kept my speeds low.

As far as biking in the ADKs a lot of the legal trails are pretty wide open i.e. snowmobile or old logging trails. Mud will be an issue with skinny tires no matter what. Some trails can be sandy and that can be a real killer, even with knobby tires, depending on how packed it is.

If you have a semi knobby tire (the ones with knobs on the side and slick in the middle) you will probably be fine on most trails. If you have a full slick you might end up walking the bike through the rougher stuff. I would give it a shot and be sure to bring a spoke wrench and know how to use it!
That is definitely helpful information, thanks! Have you done the Bloomindale Bog Road? That looks like it may be doable with a hybrid.
MikeinMaryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

No I have not, but from what I have read it looks doable.
l'oiseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:51 PM   #5
adkh20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinMaryland View Post
I'm going to be staying on Rainbow Lake this August and plan to bring my hybrid bike along. I'm looking for information on any trails or dirt roads in the area that would doable on a hybrid because I prefer the solitude of being in the woods to road biking. I'd like to do half day or full day trips.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Franklin County has info on road bike routes and mountain bike routes in the area. You can also request a brochure of bike routes. Many of the listed mountain bike routes would be suitable for a hybrid bike.
adkh20 is offline   Reply With Quote