Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack History and Folklore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2009, 02:18 PM   #21
mapscannotcontainme

I only specifically know of those four individuals, HOWEVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by podolecgb View Post
That’s freaken creepy!!! I thought it was BS. I have stayed at the campsite a few times and nothing. Now I am wondering if the rustling in the trees was really something more but how would I ever know, it is the woods. How many people have died on Giant mountain that you know about?
I only specifically know of those four individuals HOWEVER I am almost positive there have been at least two more recorded fatalities. In reality, it wouldn't surprise me if there were twice as many recorded deaths. Like I said, because of the proximity of Giant Mountain to major roads (Routes 73, 9, and 9N), it is one of the more popular High Peaks simply for hiking. When you take into consideration people don't just hike the trail, but rock climb, hike its slides, and get too close to the waterfalls then you have the perfect recipe, so to speak, for half dozen or so fatalities and dozens of injuries that have occurred on Giant Mountain over the years.

One incident that I remember reading about was some guy from the 1980s who got lost in the Giant Mountain Wilderness for five days. I don't think he was very old or hurt or handicapped or anything. He just wandered off trail and got lost. Now because of the size of the area, it's physically impossible to stand anywhere in the Wilderness, turn and walk for much more than ten miles without hitting road. I couldn't get lost in the Giant Wilderness if I tried for five hours, much less for five days! Instead of trying to find a trail or a stream he could have followed out of the woods, or instead of trying to get back to a cliff or a summit to flag down the helicopters that were searching for him, he just sat down and waited. He ran out of food and water and had to purify his own urine for a couple of days until they found him. Fortunately he was OK. The fact he knew how to purify his own urine but didn't have the presence of mind to bring a map or know how to use it, though, just strikes me as strange. Had volunteers/rangers not wasted the better part of a week looking for him (possibly putting themselves in harm's way by looking near cliffs, etc. in doing so) and wasted taxpayer money on the helicopter fuel, I would say the whole thing is pretty funny. So remember: bring a map so you don't have to drink your own pee!

Edit about a year and a half later: While doing some research I came across the article talking about the man in the second paragraph again who was lost in Giant Wilderness for almost a week back in the 80s. His name was Ronnie Adams...aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand it turns out he was autistic so I take it back...wouldn't have been funny either way. Nobody here seemed to catch it, but I felt bad and wanted to correct myself. Now, if some city slicker who lacked respect for the wilderness or to some absent-minded and machismo-ridden dude got lost inside of three miles as the crow flies from a road and had to drink his own pee, it'd be hilarious if everybody made it out okay. I stand by that sentiment.
- Bob Dylan, Things Have Changed

Last edited by mapscannotcontainme; 02-12-2011 at 09:17 PM..
mapscannotcontainme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:15 PM   #22
1ADAM12
Should I Jump?????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapscannotcontainme View Post
I have actually put together a mini-extended history of accidents and important notes on Giant Mountain. My goal in the next couple of months or so is to put together a website with a somewhat comprehensive history of each of the High Peaks including hiking accidents, trail construction data, geological survey data, first and notable summits, first ascents of rock climbing routes, landslides, aviation crashes, etc.

So far I have more information on Giant than any other mountain and the Giant Mountain wilderness has certainly claimed its share of lives. I'd be willing to bet that more people might have actually died on Giant than any other High Peak, save for maybe Marcy (which attracts so many people as a result of its distinction as the highest) and Whiteface (most of its deaths have been skiing related).

In terms of Roaring Brook Falls deaths:

1970: On July 8th, 1970 hiker Harvey Dearstyne, 16, of Glens Falls (NY) fell to his death at Roaring Brook Falls at the base of Giant Mountain. The cause of death was a fractured neck and skull. Almost three years to the day later, a similar incident would occur at Roaring Brook Falls again.

1973: On July 6th, 1973, hiker Jerry Ornsby, 8, of Pittsford (NY) fell four hundred feet, the entire length of Roaring Brook falls to his death at the base of Giant Mountain. It was the second such death at the falls just inside of three years.

So at least two people are known to have died from falling off Roaring Brook Falls, but I'm almost sure more have.

Other deaths include Eric Engler and Adam Michalski. Engler was a young boy who collapsed near the Roaring Brook - Zander Scott junction on the trail in the early 1990s on the trail where there is a memorial cross still there bearing his name. Michalski was a hunter, probably not anywhere near the trails but was somewhere in the wilderness hunting in the early 1950s when he collapsed due to heart trouble.

So if any sites are haunted, there are some potential reasons why.
UMMMMMMMMMMMMMM my name is ADAM and my middle name is SCOTT might be the reason I have never used this trail
1ADAM12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:29 PM   #23
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

Me thinks if you get to close to an edge anyone can fall.....
CL-50 #51
CATSKILLS 9/35
NPT--Complete 7-6-13
viewseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:40 PM   #24
qam1

I really didn't pay any attention to this thread when it was 1st posted buuuuutttt when I was cleaning my closet I found some old photos (from the 1990's) and in one of them which was taken of the base of Roaring Brook Falls I noticed a mysterious dark figure.

They are right from the photo, the 1st one is resized and cropped to show it here and 2nd is cropped only of the dark figure. I did no photoshop tricks with shading or anything. The full sized unaltered scanned photo can be found here

That's certainly not me, I only hiked with my dog back then and no one else and I certainly wouldn't have taken a picture with a stranger in it (especially if he was dressed all in black like that).

Who knows...

Qam1

http://www.lowerwolfjaw.com/qam1 - Everything & Anything on the Adirondacks
:
:

Last edited by qam1; 10-14-2009 at 12:55 AM.. Reason: they vs that
qam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:30 AM   #25
hillman1
skiing demi-god

That is a pretty cool photo. Any ideas on what the figure is? Looks like a guy holding a hiking pole...
hillman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:58 PM   #26
looncry

Quote:
Originally Posted by qam1 View Post
I really didn't pay any attention to this thread when it was 1st posted buuuuutttt when I was cleaning my closet I found some old photos (from the 1990's) and in one of them which was taken of the base of Roaring Brook Falls I noticed a mysterious dark figure.

They are right from the photo, the 1st one is resized and cropped to show it here and 2nd is cropped only of the dark figure. I did no photoshop tricks with shading or anything. The full sized unaltered scanned photo can be found here

That's certainly not me, I only hiked with my dog back then and no one else and I certainly wouldn't have taken a picture with a stranger in it (especially if he was dressed all in black like that).

Who knows...
Only roaring brook falls knows. OOOOOOOAHHHHH-boo! lOONCRY
Old 10-15-2009, 10:16 PM   #27
mapscannotcontainme

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillman1 View Post
That is a pretty cool photo. Any ideas on what the figure is? Looks like a guy holding a hiking pole...
The figure might not be a guy. In fact something about that silohuette seems slightly feminine to me. I don't know.

Either way, cool picture, qam1 and I've been a fan of the website for some time now, too.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:29 PM   #28
Skyclimber
SAFE CLIMBING

A Few Articles of Deaths at Roaring Brook Falls

I'm sure if someone wanted to dig a bit further, they could find more articles. This was just a quick look at the Old Archive On-Line Newspapers of the area.
I found many articles about accidents and lost hikers on Giant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Canadian Teen.jpg (44.0 KB, 327 views)
File Type: jpg Eric Engler Quebec Man.jpg (127.8 KB, 326 views)
File Type: jpg Illinois Man.jpg (123.4 KB, 316 views)
File Type: jpg Pittsford, NY 8 Yr. Old and Keene Valley 21 Yr. Old.jpg (64.4 KB, 326 views)

Paul Jamieson Class of '58
Skyclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:49 AM   #29
qam1

Quote:
You got me, I wouldn't know how to make someone appear that dark in a picture (especially with the crappy film camera I had and the overcast on that day) even if I wanted to.

I think it looks like someone holding an axe, blade down.

I don't know how I didn't notice it when I first got the picture developed

But I do remember the day, it was a Thanksgiving late 1990's, I hiked with my 2 sisters in laws, the only time either one ever came with me. But the figure is not either one, it's too tall and not as.... well let's just say not as full figured as either of them (I hope they never read this forum) and I know they never got anywhere near where the dark figure was because I remember that they were terrified of every little patch of ice (they aren't exactly the outdoorsy types) and never left the trail. We saw no one else that day.

One of my sisters in law brought a video recorder that day and recorded at various times, hopefully she can find the tape after all these years, be interesting to see if she got anything, though she might burn it or something, since I showed her this picture it kind of freaked her out.

Well whatever it is, ghost, demon, another hiker I didn't see, trick of the light, it's very bizarre and very creepy..

Qam1

http://www.lowerwolfjaw.com/qam1 - Everything & Anything on the Adirondacks
:
:

Last edited by qam1; 10-16-2009 at 12:54 AM.. Reason: my, my, hey hey
qam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:50 AM   #30
mapscannotcontainme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyclimber View Post
I'm sure if someone wanted to dig a bit further, they could find more articles. This was just a quick look at the Old Archive On-Line Newspapers of the area.
I found many articles about accidents and lost hikers on Giant.
Thanks. I had been using NNYLN to search and had been going forward year by year. I only got to about 1980 for Giant Mountain. The only reason I kne about Eric Engler was because while hiking down off Giant Mountain, I stopped to tie my sneaker and looked up to see this cross in front of me.

So I searched the backstory for it. Thanks Skyclimber.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:02 AM   #31
Avacal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily T View Post
...and you're a NON-believer???
Well............I guess a non-believer in the religious sense. I do however believe something was in my house. I don't believe some dark entity will follow me home from somewhere. I do believe it is possible to cross into a different dimension being that we are sort or like batteries or an electrical power source(like in the Matrix). But how it works is something of a mystery right now. I'd like to believe it has something to do with where we came form eons ago.

A little off the main topic but I thought interesting to share....

My uncle (who I was close with) came to me in a dream....I saw him in color with everything else black around him(as if floating in space). He was dying of cancer and in this dream I was saying my good-byes. I asked him how he was feeling and he said the he was feeling great and the pain was gone. I said I would miss him and he said not to worry about anything....everything would be fine. I woke up and got a call at work that he had died during the night. It was the first time I wasn't upset about someone close to me dying.

I also worked with a girl who could channel her dead grandmother and get anwers to questions that were otherwise impossible....but verified by other relatives.

If there is truly a known haunted place in the adirondacks, I would like to know about it.

Avacal
Avacal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:18 PM   #32
Skyclimber
SAFE CLIMBING

It's appearing there is a trend here where it is mainly young boys and men who are being killed at Roaring Brook Falls. Kind of creepy, in my opinion.

I'm still doing a little Research to see what else I might find for deaths at Roaring Brook Falls.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:53 PM   #33
podolecgb

Quote:
It's appearing there is a trend here where it is mainly young boys and men who are being killed at Roaring Brook Falls. Kind of creepy, in my opinion.

I'm still doing a little Research to see what else I might find for deaths at Roaring Brook Falls.
I donít think thatís too creepy. Men win more Darwin awards then Women.
podolecgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:58 PM   #34
dano

Quote:
Originally Posted by qam1 View Post
You got me, I wouldn't know how to make someone appear that dark in a picture (especially with the crappy film camera I had and the overcast on that day) even if I wanted to.

I think it looks like someone holding an axe, blade down.

I don't know how I didn't notice it when I first got the picture developed

But I do remember the day, it was a Thanksgiving late 1990's, I hiked with my 2 sisters in laws, the only time either one ever came with me. But the figure is not either one, it's too tall and not as.... well let's just say not as full figured as either of them (I hope they never read this forum) and I know they never got anywhere near where the dark figure was because I remember that they were terrified of every little patch of ice (they aren't exactly the outdoorsy types) and never left the trail. We saw no one else that day.

One of my sisters in law brought a video recorder that day and recorded at various times, hopefully she can find the tape after all these years, be interesting to see if she got anything, though she might burn it or something, since I showed her this picture it kind of freaked her out.

Well whatever it is, ghost, demon, another hiker I didn't see, trick of the light, it's very bizarre and very creepy..

my first thought was that it was a hunter holding a rifle...possibly backed up by your recollection of it being during thanksgiving right near the end of the seaosn....
dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:37 PM   #35
Charlene
Raddled Harridan

Quote:

Skyclimber, have you found anything else?
Giant surely "shrugs" when men are on it...
Old 11-13-2009, 11:32 AM   #36
Skyclimber
SAFE CLIMBING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlene View Post
Skyclimber, have you found anything else?
Giant surely "shrugs" when men are on it...
Yes. I found an article of Adam Michalski, 39 who died of a heart attack climbing Giant in October 1952.

More on the story of the September 1996 teen, who was Jeremiah Joseph Leduc, 17 killed after falling over Roaring Brook Falls.

Small article on Harvey Dearstyne, 16 killed at Roaring Brook Falls from a fractured skull and neck on July 8, 1970.

Give me a day or so, to scan the articles and post them, if your interested in reading the full stories? Have to set up the scanner to do this.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:06 PM   #37
Charlene
Raddled Harridan

I sure don't envy the rangers their jobs...
Kind of makes me wonder why they don't put up (God forbid) a little fence and sign (as unsightly in that particular spot as it would be) like the one on the trail to Gothics/Sawteeth... y'know, the "Don't be a drop out" one.

I vaguely remember the Quebec boy's death making the news here, it was the same year I hiked Giant for the first time.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:33 PM   #38
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

Quote:
I'm thinking it looks like a rifle slung over a shoulder...
CL-50 #51
CATSKILLS 9/35
NPT--Complete 7-6-13
viewseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:35 PM   #39
Greeneyezz
Syracuse OranZZe ROCKS!

I don't think I've heard of any 'hauntings' on a specific mountain or campsite. Then again, I don't live in the 'dacks. I did find some on-line stuff pertaining to ghosts and the 'dacks though: http://romesentinel.com/news?newsid=20091209-141025 and http://www.ghostsofamerica.com/1/New...sightings.html

A couple years back I had done a post on Ghosts in Central NY: http://greeneyezz-reflections.blogsp...-syracuse.html It was really meant in the tone of a slight tongue-in-cheek manner, but I gotta tell ya... that post has been the all time #1 post that is searched for to reach my blog. Seriously. I can't even begin to tell you how many people reach my blog by doing a search for Ghosts in the Syracuse area.

Now, do *I* believe in them? As I ponder this, I'm chuckling over the couple Large Red & White pics of the Ghost Buster's Logo that a couple of you posted here (nice touch btw ) I certainly don't believe in any Casper-looking or howling apparitions in jingling chains and such, or anything that our media (read: movies & the like) has conjured up for us. I don't know if I actually *believe* in ghosts. I also don't know if I *don't* believe in them either. Just like we can't prove they do exist, we also can't prove that they don't.
I think as I've gotten older, I tend to believe in the spirit or soul of a person.
So that said, what happens when the person dies? Does the spirit/soul in them dies as well?

Yeah, I know this is a Far Cry away from anything Adirondack-speak, but reading the responses above, I'm just goin' with it.

~ZZ

(Click on Greeneyezz)

"The soul that can speak through the eyes, can also kiss with a gaze."
~Gustav Adolfo Becquer
Greeneyezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:31 PM   #40
TCD

The figure could also be one of those demonic ice climbers walking in to see if there was any climbable ice on the falls in the early season. I've walked in and stood there dressed in black a few times...and I'm not a ghost, yet, even though the falls has taken a few swipes at me... (But RBF almost never freezes that early...the earliest I've been on it was a few days before Christmas.)

Most of the RBF deaths have been sight-seeing hikers leaning or walking too far out on the sloping, mossy rocks at the top to try to get a better viewing angle. Another recent one (maybe ten years ago?) was a hiker who attempted climbing the rock next to the falls, from the bottom and fell to his death. Waterfalls often attract would be climbers. There was a similar death around the same time at the base of Rainbow Falls. Moss Glen Falls (an attractive roadside falls in VT) has a warning sign posted with a long list of deaths.

TCD
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote