Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2006, 10:25 PM   #1
Sasquatch

Mmmmmmmmmm.... venison

Okay, I just got done eating some mighty tasty venison burgers. That got me wanting another taste. But, before I go cooking my same old recipes, I thought I'd hit this joint up for some new recipes. So? What's your favorite venison recipe? Anything from burger to tenderloin. Let's hear them.

The burgers I just ate?
Ground venison
Super Sharp Cheddar Cheese
Texas Toast
Yellow mustard
That's it. Just cook the burgers, melt the cheese on top, put it on the toast with just a little mustard. MMmmmmmmmmmm..mmmmm
Old 10-29-2006, 11:00 PM   #2
calvins

Well, I'm probably "strange"...

But when I'm done butchering, I end up with steaks and stew meat.

Our favorite is obviously the filets, seared to medium at the most (we do medium rare), served with caramalized onions and mashed potatoes.

Of source stew and the PA Dutch version of Swiss Steak are right up there too.

Venison any way is good stuff.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:07 PM   #3
calvins

PA Dutch Swiss Steak

Here's the "recipe", but it's not an exact science....

3 lb Venison Steak *
Salt
Pepper
Cooking Oil (Crisco, in the can)
Worcestershire Sauce
Sliced Mushrooms
Bay leaves
Heck, throw some fresh green beans in if ya wanna

* Steak should be cut 3/4 to 1-inch thick.

-- Cut steak into serving size pieces. Dredge pieces
in flower and beat the hell out of 'em with the "spiked" end
of a meat mallet. (I'd recommend doing this outside). Salt
and pepper the steak and brown steak quickly in oil (don't
skimp on the oil) in large frying pan. Add flour to the
drippings to make a roux and let it cook "bubble" for a few
minutes over a low to medium heat. Add water or beef stock
to thin down to almost a watery consistency. Add some
Worcestershire sauce and a couple of bay leaves if you have
them. Cover tightly and cook slowly for 1 1/2 hours or
until the gravy thickens. Add mushrooms during last 15
minutes or so of cooking time.

Serve over noodles or my preference, mashed taters.

The meat should be extremely tender. Almost to the point of
falling apart.

This is more of a "by feel" recipe. If the gravy thickens
and there is to much oil that hasn't combined, please spoon
it off.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:39 PM   #4
Skyclimber
SAFE CLIMBING

My Favorite is cutting the steaks or chops into cubes, one pkg. of onion soup mix, diced red pepper, a pkg. of beef stew mix, a can of brown gravy and a half cup of water.

Mix it altogether in a crock pot, cooking it on low all day. When it is cooked, pour it over bread, for hot gravy, venison sandwiches.

Paul Jamieson Class of '58
Skyclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 10:23 AM   #5
model8
Administrator

two table spoons butter in a hot frying pan
add you venison stakes or chunks
add two tea spoons garlic salt
dash of dryed onions
two tea spoons of sugar
then cover and flip and then eat.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:32 AM   #6
fisher39

Something that I found greatly increases the perception of tenderness is cutting off the white membrane that surrounds each muscle - it makes a HUGE difference. When you take a bite and there is a bit of that membrane on there, even though the meat may be as tender as can be, you find yourself chewing, and chewing, and chewing. I did this to some steaks and cooked them for a skeptical girlfriend who has never had game before and she loved it (of course the flavor was quite mild as well).
fisher39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 11:13 AM   #7
cbrown7

Venison Stew

1 to 1.5 pounds trimmed venison
2 medium onions diced
1/2 green pepper diced
potatoes and carrots, cubed
2 T Worcestershire sauce
1 - 4 oz. can tomato sauce
1 - 12 oz can beef broth
1 celery stalk chopped
1/4 cup Merlot wine

Dredge the venison in flour and brown in vegetable oil in skillet. Don't overcook!! Everyone thinks you need to cook venison like pork. It should be cooked like beef. When it's nearly done, add the wine. Combine all the rest of the ingrediants in a slow cooker and let cook for 3 to 4 hours or until carrots are done. Just before serving thicken a little with 2 tablespoons of flour disolved in cold water. Stir into stew. If you follow this method there will be no lumps. Serve with homemade biscuits or corn bread.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:36 AM   #8
Adkleaddog

Steaks, chops and even "houres 'd ourves" A basic simple good marinade....
Marinate in soysauce, with garlic, pepper, and rosemary for at least an hour, the longer the better. Before grilling, add some oil or butter to the mix.

We like to add some Jack Daniels to the basting marinade, which is the same mix as above. Brush on liberally while cooking.....

This works great for just about any cut of meat as well!

(Age Old Yukon Saying)
Adkleaddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 08:13 PM   #9
calvins

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher39 View Post
Something that I found greatly increases the perception of tenderness is cutting off the white membrane that surrounds each muscle - it makes a HUGE difference.
Absolutely. *All* fat and membranes must come off.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:19 PM   #10
calvins

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrown7 View Post
1 to 1.5 pounds trimmed venison
2 medium onions diced<snip>.
You been peekin'?? That's so close to what I do it's erry...

1/2 pound salt Pork - cut into pieces and saute the pork slowly in a
large skillet (I personally don't do this part, I substitute salt
in the recipe)

2 pounds venison stew beef
BROWN the venison in the hot drippings or small bit of oil over high heat.
Spoon off most of the fat.
Deglaze pan with red wine and reduce until almost gone.
Sprinkle meat with flour seasoned with salt and fresh ground pepper.

Combine and heat until boiling:
1 or 2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 large chopped onion
1 cup beef broth (I recommend 2)
1 cup red wine (or a 12 oz bottle of beer)
1 cup tomato sauce
12 peppercorns (or fresh ground)
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/3 bay leaf

Place the meat in a heavy saucepan. Pour other ingredients over it.
Simmer covered 2 - 3 hours or until meat can easily be pierced with
a fork.

Cook separately until nearly tender:
6 medium-sized pared quartered potatoes
6 pared quartered carrots
1 rib celery, chopped

Add these to stew for the last 15 minutes.

I also put fresh mushrooms, peas, or whatever, in. If it needs thickening,
mix flour and *cold* water together. Bring the stew to a boil and whisk
in some of the mixture. Let it boil for a few minutes.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:25 PM   #11
cbrown7

I like your recipe. I think I'll try it. Mine comes out of the LLBean wild game cookbook, modified for my tastes.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:57 PM   #12
mtnhiker10
mtnhiker10

there's nothing better, or easier, than just cutting up some venison into thin steaks, throwing it into a frying pan with butter, a little pepper, and a little garlic salt. it's super easy and super delicious. we usually have a few guys together for the butchering and beer drinking of course, and nothing beats being able to cook up some of your game that you just havested and eat it with the boys.( or girls, whoever's in your hunting party)
Old 10-31-2006, 02:02 PM   #13
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnhiker10 View Post
there's nothing better, or easier, than just cutting up some venison into thin steaks, throwing it into a frying pan with butter, a little pepper, and a little garlic salt. it's super easy and super delicious. we usually have a few guys together for the butchering and beer drinking of course, and nothing beats being able to cook up some of your game that you just havested and eat it with the boys.( or girls, whoever's in your hunting party)
That's pretty much the way I cook up chops, except I pour some of the beer in with the meat.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
lumberzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 03:35 PM   #14
Hobbitling
spring fever

CrockPot+venison+water+onion+garlic+worchestershir e sauce=delicious

Just cube it, quickly sear it in a really hot pan (but dont cook it all the way through) and stick it in the pot with the water and seasoning. mmm mmm good.

and you can just stick whatever flavors you want into that water. Veggies, liquid smoke, rosemary, chipotle powder, beer, wine, whatever.
Hobbitling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 03:42 PM   #15
mtnhiker10
mtnhiker10

i'm getting hungry just reading through these posts, i also like to put a bunch of small steaks or stew meat in the crock pot with your favorite bbq sauce for a few hours, then spoon all the meat out onto a smoker rack and smoke it for , well however long you want to. depends on how much smoke flavor u like. this has gotta be one of the best threads on the forum. keep the recipes coming. can't wait to try them.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:55 PM   #16
Skyclimber
SAFE CLIMBING

I've also noticed, cooking the venison in the crock pot along with the added seasonings, drowns out the gamey taste and also tenderizes the meat.

I'm with the others, all fat, membranes needs to be cut off!

Paul Jamieson Class of '58
Skyclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 04:07 PM   #17
Ordin Aryguy
or·di·nar·y

Look at the second pic on this page. Read the words... The single ingredient that made that days' dinner so good? Sharing. Meals like that are far more than just food.

http://members.localnet.com/~cm332ber/

When Jeff's smoker isn't making magic with the rewards of his hillside, and I'm cooking at my own house, venison kabobs are usually on the menu.

Ordinary's Kabobs
Fresh veggies of your choice sandwiched between hunks of venison that have been marinated overnight in:
Olive oil
Soy sauce
Garlic powder
Pepper Flakes

Ordin
Old 10-31-2006, 04:37 PM   #18
Adkleaddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordin Aryguy;5554.[B
Ordinary's Kabobs[/B]
Fresh veggies of your choice sandwiched between hunks of venison that have been marinated overnight in:
Olive oil
Soy sauce
Garlic powder
Pepper Flakes

Ordin
Hey! That's my recipe!!

(Age Old Yukon Saying)
Adkleaddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 09:15 PM   #19
Ordin Aryguy
or·di·nar·y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adkleaddog View Post
Hey! That's my recipe!!
Close. Very close.

Yours has the rosemary. Mine do not. Can't go wrong with fresh herbs in any case. Thyme, oregano, cilantaro, all might be good. Could also try some freshly toasted and ground seeds like cumin, sesame, allspice... Giving it a little thought, something like cranberries, currants, prunes, or even raisins might give a neat flavor to the marinading brew.

The olive oil in my recipe constitutes around 90% of the total quantity of the marinade itself. The soy provides a good dose of salt (I really believe it does a great deal of tenderizing, but can't prove it). Use a good quality soy sauce, not the "westernized" mega-salty stuff. Use quality olive oil, too.

Another thing that I've grown fond of is pairing a venison roast with a pan-full of root veggies like potatoes, carrots, parsnips, turnips, onions and one of my favorites, rutebegas. The meat cooks lots faster than the veggies will, so be sure to use a meat thermometer to figure the amount of doneness. Pull the roast out before it's at the temp you want because the internal temp will still climb 5 or so degrees after it's taken out of the oven. Cook all the veggies until fork tender... This dish, as with most others, benefits from fresh herbs, spices (whole allspice!) and the seasonings of your choice.

Good thoughts, but I've not done enough right this year. One small one walked by at about 10 feet. I'm hoping that won't be the only opportunity and the karma will be repayed. If it is to be the only opportunity this season, it's still been a good year. Every minute spent in the woods is better than 100 spent sitting on the couch.

Ordin

Last edited by Ordin Aryguy; 10-31-2006 at 09:18 PM.. Reason: fixed some horrid misspellings
Ordin Aryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 10:05 PM   #20
marzrw

All of the recipes sound awesome...But gotta tell you a recipe WB and I used on a fishing trip to an Adirondack Pond...He froze some venison chunks before the trip so that they would remain fresh until the evening meal...We fished hard all day...As it grew dark we had a nice fire going...We skewered the now thawed venison chunks on kabobs and held them over the fire with some fresh vegetables, no seasonings ( even though we love garlic and all other spices)...We cooked the kabobs so the outside was crusty but the inside medium rare...We devoured the kabobs and washed them down with a couple of beers cooled from the pond with a sky full of stars and some coyotes howling in the distance...It jsut don't get any better than that...I don't think we've ever topped that trip...Have made venison stew, roasts,etc and our favorite of course is pan seared tenderloins (all courtesy of WB)...But over a fire in the 'dacks'...Awesome...Try it...