Blisters after weedeating.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blisters after weedeating.

I used the weedeater on the bank leading up to the road about 3 weeks ago. Before I started I noticed 3 plants about 4ft tall with yellow flowers only on a long stalk at the top of the plant.I can't say for sure if they are the culprit but about 2 days later I started to notice a rash of small blisters on the back of my hands and the tops of my forearms.These remained for about 10 days and since have faded away to what I can only describe as looking like faint burn scars.What I found strange about this is that there was never any pain or itching.I don't have any pics but I have seen several of these plants while driving in the southerntier.They have oval leaves about 4" by 2". Anybody have any clue as to what these plants are or what I could have got into? Sorry for the absense of pics.

possibly wild parsnip?
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal

Comment

I'm guessing wild parsnip as well.

My mom transplanted this stuff years ago because she thought it was Queen Ann's Lace. I ended up pulling all of it up but I was lucky. I was in the shade for the most part and took a shower when I was done. That night I had HUGE welts all over my back ( I must have scratched my back with some plant sap on my fingers). It kept coming back in her garden so my Mom used an herbicide for the past four years and I hasn't come back. Neither one of us likes herbicides but this plant had to be gotten rid of.

My friends sister didn't know what it was and weed-wacked a bunch of it while in shorts and a tee shirt in the full sun. She had blisters on blisters. I saw her two weeks after it happened and it looked like she had severe burns.

BE CAREFUL OF THIS STUFF!!!
      "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."
      -George Washington Sears

Comment

"Weedeater's dermatitis"

Cow parsnip or hogweed. Authoritative facts about the skin from DermNet New Zealand.

Cow parsnip, wild parsnip. It's related to giant hogweed, and is increasingly found thickly growing as a roadside weed, often choking everything else out for miles. Stay away, far far away.
        "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

The pictures of the rash in the first link you posted Wldrns look exactly what my hands and arms looked like a couple of weeks ago.Looks like it was one of the parsnips.Images of the wild parsnip plants look like the ones I wacked.It was hot and sunny at the time.Glad I thought to at least put pants on before I started.Doing a image search on the web revealed that I probably got off lucky to only have a minor rash.I knew you guys could figure it out,thanks. By the way they have yet to grow back.

Comment

Not Queen Anne's Lace? QAL, being a member of the Apiacae family (so is parsnip) is known to cause hypersensitivity to sunlight, so if you rub against some and then are exposed to sunlight, you'll get a rash.

Given the yellow flowers, probably not it - but it may have been there and you didn't mention or notice it.
            “Death is the only wise advisor that we have. Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated, turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you, 'I haven't touched you yet.” Carlos Castenada

Comment

Queen Anne's Lace surely could have been in there along with the Wild Parsnip that was looks like was there.The rash fades a little more each day but I read it could last for months,nasty stuff.Only grass is growing back at this point but if it does grow back I'll make a positive identification.

Comment

Originally posted by rollinslover64 View Post
                Queen Anne's Lace surely could have been in there along with the Wild Parsnip that was looks like was there.The rash fades a little more each day but I read it could last for months,nasty stuff.Only grass is growing back at this point but if it does grow back I'll make a positive identification.
                Any of the photosensitivity causing plants can be tough to identify simply because you can come in contact with them hours before being exposed to sunlight, and not see the immediate cause and effect.
                “Death is the only wise advisor that we have. Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated, turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you, 'I haven't touched you yet.” Carlos Castenada

Comment

mowing these nasty weeds can also cause respitory problems especially if they get high enough to require brush hogging as the mower blades beat it into a mist that you inhale on the next pass. If you experience sore throat, hoarseness or trouble breathing it may be due to mowing wild or poison parsnip.

Comment

Working...
                  X