New Earth Discovered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Earth Discovered

Let's imagine that we kicked space travel up a notch and a new planet was discovered that appeared to be just like Earth. They are looking for volunteers to inhabit this new place. The rub is that it takes a year to get there and they will have to short rope you down and immediately head back to Earth. They might also be able to leave some limited supplies.
    Would you go?
    "A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden

who else can come with me? do i get to chose some of the gear? what do we know about climate, zoology, botany, soil fertility, etc?

but sure, i'm probably in.

Comment

It has been discussed and there will be either 20 people with a year of provisions or 50 people with 3 months provisions. There will be a lottery to pick who is going but the lottery will pick groups. There can be one to four in a group. The place seems to be a replica of Earth but no one is really sure, no one has been there! They do know that electronics won't work there, they suspect something is different about the magnetic field. Due to logistics gear will have to be basic. Sorry, no room for a still.
      They plan on sending one transporter ship per year and hopefully two per year in about a decade. But then it again they might phase out the transporter ship, depends on who gets elected.
      "A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden

Comment

I would go; but my wife wouldn't let me.
        "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal

Comment

My wife would be glad to get rid of me.
          www.canoetripping.net/forums

Comment

Will there be Cougars there? Or just Bobcats?
            The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.

Comment

Will deliver of Hawk's Vittles still be prompt. I must know that first.
              “Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
              ― Cormac McCarthy

Comment

Will there be black flys?
                www.canoetripping.net/forums

Comment

Working...
                X