Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is quite a bit of media hype on this one. That being said the danger of blowdowns and widowmakers falling is definately heightened. Better safe than sorry, as they say.
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they never shall sit in

Comment

White Mountain National Forest closure:

Not Adirondacks, but I know many here hike the White Mtns. regularly.

Dick

Comment

How do you close a forest?

My thoughts go out to those hiking the AT right now. Many of those who started in GA will be passing through NH about this time. Its really going to be rough for them when they try to escape the deluge by sheltering in a hut and find that it is closed.
        “One of the penalties of an ecological education is that one lives alone in a world of wounds.” ~ Aldo Leopold

Comment

Originally posted by fvrwld View Post
          How do you close a forest?
          I had the same reaction when I saw that. Visions of miles and miles of yellow "do not cross" tape around the whole forest!

My thoughts go out to those hiking the AT right now. Many of those who started in GA will be passing through NH about this time. Its really going to be rough for them when they try to escape the deluge by sheltering in a hut and find that it is closed.
          Not to mention that there will be no SAR operations on Sunday.

Comment

They closed the State Campgound at Cranberry and sent everyone home.. so I heard...any other reports?

We lashed down our Irish Furniture and pulled some boats...

We are off grid anyway and the Stihl is fueled and always sharp....
            Be careful, don't spread invasive species!!

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
            Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23

Comment

I just made a quick trip into Brooktrout Lake & back & it looks like there's quite a few people in campsites along the Plains. But they prob plan on beatin' it outta there, tomorrow (?!).
              --"Pete You***?!, Pete You***'s grandson?!...That name is nearly sacred & uttered with awe in THIS house!" : The late Dr. Reed's wife, upon entering her house & being introduced- so to converse with her husband about the old days, a little before he died. The kind of greeting you'll never forget & reinforces your image of the hero you never met. --

Comment

Irene...NJ

I hope 'daxs' made it out of Cape May ok. All the shore areas are under mandatory evacuation and all roads heading south and east are shut down.
                I live about 30m inland and was considering heading west for a couple of days. I thought better and obtained my emergency supplies of IPA, Blue Agave and plenty of limes.

Irene.....I'm ready for ya!

Comment

Originally posted by bluequill View Post
                  Irene...NJ

I hope 'daxs' made it out of Cape May ok. All the shore areas are under mandatory evacuation and all roads heading south and east are shut down.
                  I live about 30m inland and was considering heading west for a couple of days. I thought better and obtained my emergency supplies of IPA, Blue Agave and plenty of limes.

Irene.....I'm ready for ya!
                  Be safe Doug, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Don't have a "Kayak Moment"
                  "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

I am staying. A neighbor is too. So are several of my friends. To really get away from the storm you need to head almost to Harrisburg PA. Its not going to touch down in NJ accordung to current predictions

Comment

** THIS JUST IN ** As Hurricane Irene prepares to batter the East Coast, federal disaster officials have warned that Internet outages could force people to interact with other people for the first time in years. Residents are bracing themselves for the horror of awkward silences and unwanted eye contact. FEMA has advised: “Be prepared. Write down possible topics to talk about in advance. Sports...the weather. Remember, a conversation is basically a series of Facebook updates strung together"

Comment

Originally posted by CrisisBill View Post
                        ** THIS JUST IN ** As Hurricane Irene prepares to batter the East Coast, federal disaster officials have warned that Internet outages could force people to interact with other people for the first time in years. Residents are bracing themselves for the horror of awkward silences and unwanted eye contact. FEMA has advised: “Be prepared. Write down possible topics to talk about in advance. Sports...the weather. Remember, a conversation is basically a series of Facebook updates strung together"

Good one..actually tomorrow night we are having a "hurricane block party" at one neighbors house.

Seriously I have been off carousing in my RapidFire meeting some people near Friendship Maine. Real town real people. Of course my husband had an interaction with a lobster boat. Those equipment docks mid harbor are busy places and he was curious as to what was going on in one boat.. Within ten seconds that lobster boat had done a ninety degree spin one way..the other way then a gargantuan spin 180 which generated a huge wake that filled his kayak cockpit (no he did not have his spray skirt on doh) and the lobster guy said "sorry big guy" and my hubby admitting his kayak had no business being there.

You who think canoes spin..you oughter see a lobster boat do an inner gimbal.

Maybe we will have a chainsaw block party Tuesday.. At the least we have a lot of boats on the road that will need to get back to the water.

Comment

JudgeH and Aero got out Saturday afternoon.
                          "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Justin View Post
                            From what I've been hearing, Irene has a very good chance of affecting the entire Northeastern US, including the Adirondacks on late Saturday night into Sunday.
                            I'm certainly not scared of rain, but I certainly do not want to be around for another Adirondack micro-burst or worse.
                            Sitting here on the PA/NJ border waiting for the power to go out and just started thinking about the last time I was in a really bad storm - It was the Microburst (95?) I was camped out in my small Eureka Solitaire off the trail to Algonquin (from HPIC) and it hit that morning just after I got up. That was a very harrowing day.....
                            Rick
                            The measure of your ignorance is your belief in tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the universe, the master calls the butterfly...
                            ...unknown...

Comment

As for me, I'm sitting here listening to a steady rain falling on my piece of hillside above Keene. Normally, when looking out from my house over my property to view my two cabins, Scoots and Mercy, on a rainy day, I feel a sense of tranquility. Today seems different. Today I feel a bit of a knot in my stomach and my three buildings bring one word to mind... TARGETS.

Yesterday I downed a couple of trees that needed to come down anyways. Best to drop them where I want them rather than let Irene choose the landing spot. The rest of my trees are, I hope, pretty sturdy and healthy.

Time to hunker down and wait it out.
                              Scooting here and there
                              Through the woods and up the peaks
                              Random Scoots awaits (D.P.)

"Pushing the limits of easy."™

Comment

I took a look at the weather channel on TV this am. I guess this is their version of the Superbowl.
                                Today and tonight Quebec is forecasted to get up to 5 inches of rain along with gusts up to 60 mph and in coastal areas, strong tides.

Getting windy now with a falling barometer.
                                The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X