This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Neil View Post
    I took a look at the weather channel on TV this am. I guess this is their version of the Superbowl.

I am tired of them "screaming the End of the World". Now watching reruns of "I Love Lucy " as I seam seal my tent.

Comment

I do not think the storm down here in Cape May NJ was nearly as bad as predicted; at least on the mainland. We had rain and wind starting about 7am yesterday. The rain got heavy and the winds picked up throught the day. About 10 or 11 last night, it calmed down. It was still raining and windy but it was quiet. We never did get the big hit in the middle of the night that was predicted. I was able to keep a window and the front door open all day/night long. Put the AC units back in this AM. This am, the rain has stopped but there are some wind gusts. I never lost power or the cable. The barrier islands did get hit harder but thats to be expected. All the usual places flooded. There is a full moon tide tonight that will affect the beaches. I'm going to go out soon and do a property check. Then Im going to go check things out in town and maybe see if I can get over to Stone harbor. If wind dies down, I'll take my bike. Hope everyone else inthe storm path fares as well as I did; glad I did not evacuate

Comment

Weather Report From Albany, NY

8:35 A.M. Sunday morning... Here comes Irene.

It's starting to get real nasty here in the Capital District. Been raining since about 8:00 P.M. Saturday night... Now the winds are starting to howl, and the worst is still hours away...

Channel 9 (YNN) just reported that 20,000 are already without power here in Albany.

They're talking 5-9" of rain here. In the city that spells disaster. I can hear siren's from Fire Trucks all around me... I suspect massive flooding here in Albany as the sewers are already backing up and streets are literally underwater...

Wow... the heavens have opened here and the rain is out of control...

For what it's worth... This is not "Media Hype" as someone posted here.

PLAY IT SAFE... Blowdown, mudslides and flooding are all deadly forces out of our control.....

Be safe and God Bless

Bluesman

Comment

Greetings from the backside of the storm. Here in Northern Virginia the rain has stopped and there is a hint of sunshine poking through the clouds. Still getting some wind gusts, but conditions are rapidly improving.

No power outages, downed trees, or missing shingles in my area. We had about 20 hours of wind and rain - pretty much what was predicted.

Hope everybody stays safe and dry.

Comment

I took a look at the weather channel on TV this am. I guess this is their version of the Superbowl.
            The similarities are that both involve large bodies in motion and neither are controlled by intelligence. The differences are that the hurricane is far more interesting and may actually have an impact on our lives.
            Scooting here and there
            Through the woods and up the peaks
            Random Scoots awaits (D.P.)

"Pushing the limits of easy."â„¢

Comment

If you believe the reports waves on Lake Champlain could reach 8 feet. Sure glad they got the new bridge span up and bolted down!

Waves that size seeme plausible given the orientation of the lake, its length and hour upon hour of a northeast wind.
              Oscar Wilde:Work is the curse of the drinking class

Comment

Still Out Of Control....

Well, they just closed the New York Thruway from Exit #24 all the way down to Nyack... All this rain is starting to take its toll. Major flooding everywhere, and again, the worst is yet to come. The ground is saturated and unable to absorb any more rain....

We're getting hammered here in Albany... Torrential downpoors all morning, 30-50 MPH gusts at times, street closings, flooding everywhere......and no sign of any break in the storm pattern...

And to think that this has been downgraded from a Hurricane to a Tropical Storm... Good Lord....!

Can you imagine a Category 5 Hurricane...??????

Just got a call from friends in the Catskills.... All hell breaking loose.....

Comment

Looking out the window at Lake Champlain right now... It's rocking! Waves are prob 5 ft right now and they're moving crazy fast. The wind is very strong, and right outta the north. Lots of branches down. Hope nobody is out in the woods for this one!
                  "Ahh! The old fishing hole... so peaceful and relaxing. Doesn't even matter if I catch a single fish -- ah! Come on you stupid fish, take the bait! Don't make me come down there!" -Homer Simpson

Comment

Just got in from digging a few trenches around the house, and adding an additional sump-pump to help prevent the amount of water that is entering my basement.

Not worried though...
                    So far Irene has only knocked my canoe off it's saw horses, downed a few branches in my yard, and made things very very wet...I've camped in worse conditions...
                    Last edited by Justin; 08-28-2011, 04:34 PM. Reason: Not worried...

Comment

Originally posted by Justin View Post
                      Just got in from digging a few trenches around the house, and adding an additional sump-pump to help prevent the amount of water that is entering my basement.

So far my 200 year old house has a dry basement. I feel for you!

Rivers over here in VT are rising insanely fast - Otter Creek in Rutland is near 8,000cfs and the New Haven, normally a trickle is over 3,000. I just heard it's running over Route 7. It's going to be a mess for a while yet!
                      Oscar Wilde:Work is the curse of the drinking class

Comment

Originally posted by Justin View Post
                        Just got in from digging a few trenches around the house,
                        Hey, that's what I always do when I camp in the Adirondack wilderness. That and lay in a nice cushy bed of fresh balsam boughs!
                        The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.

Comment

Hey, that's what I always do when I camp in the Adirondack wilderness. That and lay in a nice cushy bed of fresh balsam boughs!
                          ...and here I was thinking it might be better not to camp-out this weekend...

Comment

Looking at the 6 hour precip totals for Albany Airport, there was 4.79 inches of rain in an 18 hour period. Roughly equal to a typical Noreaster. If onlty it was a little later and a little colder.
                            Anybody near me see the Lisha Kill? It was flowing nicely about 8 inches over my road...
                            In our immediate area, other than a few toppled trees and wet yards, it was just another excuse for a media frenzy, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by stripperguy View Post
                              In our immediate area, other than a few toppled trees and wet yards, it was just another excuse for a media frenzy, IMO.
                              Try telling that to people in the Catskills and Vermont, they got hammered, many roads, bridges and homes gone.

Comment

Keene Valley was evacuated according to the news tonight. The footage looked pretty intense with some crazy flooding. Lots of bridges out and trees down. Many of Vermont's beautiful covered bridges in the Quechee-Woodstock region have been destroyed by the high water.
                                http://www.adkwildernessguide.com

Comment

Working...
                                X