Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your Biggest lifetime backpacking goal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your Biggest lifetime backpacking goal?

Don't think we have had a thread like this here.

What is the one major goal that you have yet to accomplish?

Think beyond the 46 or the NPT Trail.

For me, it's to thru hike the Appalachian Trail when I'm in my 90's. I've avoided it all these years because of the amount of people that are on the trail. I figure in my 90's (provided of course I have the misfortune to live that long), I'll have to be places where there are people around.

BTW, Contrary to my nature, I will be looking for a companion or two to accompany me.
    "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

I know the point is to look past the NPT, but, my greatest goal would be to hike the entire NPT with my wife and children some day. I currently do not have any children and am hoping for good news soon, but my fondest memories of my childhood are camping with my family and I would love to make new memories with my own family. My wife on the other hand is not very keen on staying in the woods for an extended period of time, luckly i have a couple of decades to ease her into the idea!
    "I do it for the challenge and I refuse to lose"

Comment

I really don't have any backpacking goals since I hurt my upper back backpacking as a teenager, which still bothers me to this day.No one has ever been able to figure it out. As far as hiking my goals are just to find new and interesting places to enjoy as well as visiting some old time favorites. Now that I live fairly close to the Catskills I want to do some exploring there.

Comment

I would like to paddle from Long Lake to Tupper Lake with my son and grandson...my son is 21 and his nephew (my grandson) is nearly 2, so I'll need to wait a bit.
        When I was 19, I paddled with a buddy of mine, from Old Forge to Tupper, for several days we leap frogged 3 men, you guessed it, a grandpa, his son and his grandson. It left quite an impression on me, in many more ways than I can or will describe here, but during our short conversations with these fellows, it was clear they shared a bond on many levels. For a variety of reasons, I could never see that dream realized until my own children had children of their own.
        So all I need to do is to stay in good enough physical shape for a few more years...

Of course, I have other goals, (or are they dreams?), in particular, I would still like to bicycle across the US, but not some wimpy, sag wagon, stay in motels kind of trip. I want to carry all of my own gear and camp along the way.

Back to the Adirondacks, I would still like to do that Cedar River-Rock River loop.

Oh, and I have been waiting for about 35 years now, to paddle the Essex Chain Lakes and Follensby Pond.

Comment

no real desire to walk a lot any more. most of my 'goals' these days are canoe trips...

Will be doing Upper St Regis Lake to Fish Pond to Long Pond and the Rollins and Follensby Loops in a couple weeks, 12-16 SEP.

Would like to do the Little Tupper to Lila to Lows to the Lower Dam trip sometime.

The Oswegatchie Traverse and Northern Forest Canoe Trail are also on the list.

Closer to home, i just need 5 days off to do the Neches River through the Big Thicket area of east texas (which must not coincide with the annual pilgrimage back to NY).

i have 6 years left to pay for college till my kids are 'out'. Until then, i can just 'dream' about Sweden, Finland, Croatia, Slovenia, Poland, and Canada. Would also like to do a trace of the Rhine and the Danube, from the Netherlands to the Black Sea.

Comment

I don't really have any major backpacking goals that I'd like to accomplish, but my biggest lifetime backpacking goal is to be able to go backpacking for rest of my lifetime.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin View Post
              I don't really have any major backpacking goals that I'd like to accomplish, but my biggest lifetime backpacking goal is to be able to go backpacking for rest of my lifetime.
              What he said!!

Dick

Comment

I don't currently have any major hiking or backpacking goals. Which might explain why I am feeling listless.

On the other hand, there are a lot of new landslides in the high peaks that are calling for me.
                Scooting here and there
                Through the woods and up the peaks
                Random Scoots awaits (D.P.)

"Pushing the limits of easy."™

Comment

I know you said besides the NPT, but for those who know me and the troubles I've had every time I even go near the trail I would have to say that would be my biggest goal at the moment.

Comment

Hike down into the grand canyon and spend a night.

Hike one of the volcano's in Hawaii.

Hike one of the biggest mountains on any of the continents except Everest, because that hike takes a special person.

Hike Devils Pass in the Catskills.

Hike the Annapurna Trail before they pave the damn thing.

Hike the Inca trail, and see the sun rise over Mach Picchu.

High Peaks: 14/46
                    NPT 2011

Comment

Visit Duckhole pre-Irene.
                      Climb Kilimanjaro while it is still snow capped.
                      "A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden

Comment

Working...
                      X