Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2018, 08:57 AM   #1
salar4me

Hex hatch

They usually start this time of year on Placid and Mirror Lake... staying at my bro in laws place in Thendara next week... Have they started yet? do they also hatch in the Fulton Chain, blue Mountain Lake areas?

Heavy green drake hatch(me bad... yes brown drakes) currently on Skaneatlas...all thing being equal... which they are not... rather be in the Daks

Thanks

Last edited by salar4me; 06-24-2018 at 01:51 PM..
salar4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:23 PM   #2
Lucky13

We go to the Fulton Chain in August, and there are still Hex around then, and I've stayed this time of year and seen them as well. Putting around trolling but with a ready rod rigged with a dry fly has been futile, the hatch on the chain seems pretty sporadic to me, and the risers are always just out of range.

I suspect that what you think are green drakes on SKA lake could be Hex or Invaria (Brown Drakes)_ Ephemerella gutalatta generally want more flow that a lake provides.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 12:06 AM   #3
Viking

Fished the Hex hatch quit a bit back in Michigan. Hired a guide the first time to learn the game and then continued from there.

It requires patience. My early attempts involved wading out at dusk and throwing hex patterns. Caught some browns but not what I had read about.

Hired the guide, and then on a nite fishing trip got talking to an old-timer who took me under his wing, so to speak. He had seen me fishing previously and knew what I was doing wrong.

Muddy pools, wade out at 10 pm and keep perfectly still. Don't cast, don't move, don't shine a light, don't smoke, nothing. Don't move your feet for an hour. It takes forever. Resist the temptation to move when you hear fish moving about. When the slurping starts and you hear big - and I mean big - splashes start the casting. This is not your normal 10" brown splashing. This sounds as though something heavy has hit the water. If you have not fished for them - or nite fished for big browns, you probably have not heard this sound before. When you hear it, you will know.

These are the big boys, and they got that way by being smart. Stumble in the water, shine a light on the water, fire up a cigar, and it can all end in an instant. I use a 9' 6 weight and tie a section of 10 lb test directly to a braided leader. You will want to photograph your first fish - this can end everything quickly - make sure it's fish you want. The next one could be a fish you didn't think existed in the water you are in. Good luck. When you successfully fish your first hex hatch you will plan vacations around it.
Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:34 AM   #4
Lucky13

Most of the hex action in NYS is in the lakes, I can't think of a stream with significant populations here.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:07 AM   #5
Viking

True - but once you locate the streams that do you can sometimes find that works to your advantage.
Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 01:48 PM   #6
Creekwader
Snag Locator

Quote:
Originally Posted by salar4me View Post
They usually start this time of year on Placid and Mirror Lake... staying at my bro in laws place in Thendara next week... Have they started yet? do they also hatch in the Fulton Chain, blue Mountain Lake areas?

Heavy green drake hatch(me bad... yes brown drakes) currently on Skaneatlas...all thing being equal... which they are not... rather be in the Daks

Thanks
Was in Old Forge a couple days ago but didn't see any where I was. They should be starting now though. Yes, the Fulton chain has them along with the rest of the large sized lakes in the area. Fourth Lake and Limekiln also have a sporadic green drake that is huge, maybe bigger than the hexes. Its very rare to see enough hexes on any of these lakes to draw big numbers of fish to the surface like at Skaneatles so waiting around with floating line and dries is pretty much a waste of time. IMO the best tactic is to troll or cast a hex nymph over 20-40 ft then progress deeper as the summer wears on. Rainbows, salmon, and lakers all key on the nymphs. A woolly bugger works in a pinch.
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:23 PM   #7
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

There are a couple of ponds on the eastern side that have decent Hex hatches. They are very different than the Michigan river hatches. They can occur sporadically during the day with a burst toward evening. I've also found that a small number hatch throughout the season. In a way this is a good thing because the fish recognize them and will take a nymph pattern pretty much any time. I've never actually seen a nighttime hatch in the Adirondacks. Not to say that it doesn't ever happen...
Old 06-27-2018, 08:24 PM   #8
salar4me

Thanks for the info. Stayed out till dark on 7th Lake and saw three drakes and a few shucks. Wind died down a bit but still pretty choppy. Landed a few small bass and two pretty good sized what looked like shiners on nymphs. Raining pretty hard tonight... will try deeper water over the next few days
salar4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:08 PM   #9
EagleCrag

They sometimes hatch off Racquette Pond in Tupper Lake so thick that the stores near there on Route 3 have to sweep them up at times. Of course, that's not trout water.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:16 AM   #10
ADKpikebuster

I found a bug in my shoe and hooked it behind my wobbler and had a trout bite it does that make me a fly fisherman?

I used to drink a lot. I still do...but I used to, too

http://youtu.be/DJH8iMb2YXk YEEFRICKINYEEE "
ADKpikebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:31 PM   #11
Glen
Check please

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKpikebuster View Post
I found a bug in my shoe and hooked it behind my wobbler and had a trout bite it does that make me a fly fisherman?
At least as much as one as VtFlyfish!
“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
― Cormac McCarthy
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:37 PM   #12
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
At least as much as one as VtFlyfish!
That doesn't take much...

Pikebuster, I need a new fishing partner. Got any fresh bugs out of your shoe?
Old 07-02-2018, 10:54 AM   #13
Creekwader
Snag Locator

Hex update: I cruised the entire lower end of the fulton chain from old forge to inlet saturday and didn't see a single hex or shuck FWIW.
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 02:08 PM   #14
Lucky13

I almost never see the flies on the Lake. We find them on the screen doors in the AM. I do see shucks out there when the hatch has been on.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:02 AM   #15
ADKpikebuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
That doesn't take much...

Pikebuster, I need a new fishing partner. Got any fresh bugs out of your shoe?
I’ve been saying this for years and I got a few tricks up my sleeves that’s for sure, or in this case in my shoes

I used to drink a lot. I still do...but I used to, too

http://youtu.be/DJH8iMb2YXk YEEFRICKINYEEE "

Last edited by ADKpikebuster; 07-03-2018 at 05:04 PM..
ADKpikebuster is offline   Reply With Quote