Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > "By the Fireside"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2018, 09:12 AM   #1
JohnnyVirgil

Interesting camping method

Camped at a place called Tully Lake in MA with my brother and nephew (his first camping experience) and I thought they had a great set up, and I'm wondering if something like it could work in the Adirondacks. One of the things I hate about state campsites and the reason I haven't done it since I was a kid is that you have cars driving past your site all day and night, and there is just no way to get away from the noise and dust and annoyance.

At Tully Lake, all the sites are tent sites, which helps I think, and you reserve them like you do here. There's a centrally located bathroom with showers and sinks and a ranger station, etc., but here's the interesting part -- You don't drive to your sites. You park in a central parking lot, and there are wheeled carts provided and you just wheel your stuff down to your site, then return the empty cart. I thought that was kind of cool. You'd probably need a pretty specific location for it to work in the ADK though. The other nice thing is that it's a pretty small lake, so they don't allow motors.

Last edited by JohnnyVirgil; 07-10-2018 at 11:04 AM..
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:39 AM   #2
bluequill

Meecham Lake Campground has something similar to Tully. Meecham is split into two sections, east and west. The west section is primitive/ walk in with over twenty walk ins on the water that have a privy at each site. There are showers at the main (west) campground. Carts are probably not provided though.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/permits_...amlake2017.pdf

http://www.campadk.com/campsitephoto...+Lake/site/186

Last edited by bluequill; 07-10-2018 at 09:57 AM..
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:05 AM   #3
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluequill View Post
Meecham Lake Campground has something similar to Tully. Meecham is split into two sections, east and west. The west section is primitive/ walk in with over twenty walk ins on the water that have a privy at each site. There are showers at the main (west) campground. Carts are probably not provided though.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/permits_...amlake2017.pdf

http://www.campadk.com/campsitephoto...+Lake/site/186
Interesting. I didn't know about Meacham. Seems like the sites are pretty close together, unless it's just the map.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:26 AM   #4
bluequill

Yes, They may be pretty close and probably in sight of each other. Get the numbers of all those walk in/ on the water sites and check out the photo data base. I think the table/ platform of the next site can be seen. Still, not a bad place. It might be a nice area in the shoulder seasons. I drove through there in June and it was empty.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:26 PM   #5
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Hey,
MDB and I checked out Tully on a trip to buy a Rinnai heater...pretty cool place.
I spoke with the rangers about paddling opportunities there, and they explained a difficult (their words) trip up the main tributary. Said there were several beaver dams...
Anyway, we were surprised too by the carts for hauling gear, seemed like a nice solution to speeding car campers.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:10 PM   #6
peskypup

On Schroon Lake, north of Scaroon Manor Campground, Camp Cayuga has a number of walk-in sites. Each has a privy, and there's a foot trail to Scaroon Manor where you can use the showers/beach. The sites aren't super private, but I hardly ever see anyone in there at all, so privacy shouldn't be an issue. Check-in is at Scaroon Manor, just down the road.
peskypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 01:53 PM   #7
webby459

Quote:
Originally Posted by peskypup View Post
On Schroon Lake, north of Scaroon Manor Campground, Camp Cayuga has a number of walk-in sites. Each has a privy, and there's a foot trail to Scaroon Manor where you can use the showers/beach. The sites aren't super private, but I hardly ever see anyone in there at all, so privacy shouldn't be an issue. Check-in is at Scaroon Manor, just down the road.
I can second this as I was just at Camp Cayuga this past weekend. We were at site 2, which was very accessible to the lake, which was around 50 feet away. We toured around a little, site 4 is very good, marked wheel chair accessible, it has good flat space for setup and is on a higher point overlooking the lake. Site 8 looked to be excellent too, if I go back that's the one I'd choose.

Of the 15 sites total that are available, only about 5 were occupied, and were far enough away from one another as to make it if not private, at least quieter than any drive-up state campground sites we've been to.

Carts or other pack devices are BYO, I'm pretty sure. We used the wagon we use to get chairs out to soccer practice, along with my 60L pack.
webby459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:36 PM   #8
Pat T
aka "Mother Nature"

Hi, all -- I have paddled Tully. The "difficult paddle" up the tributary is a piece of cake. We had Hornbecks and got out of the canoes once. There are two impressive waterfalls that you can access with a short hike from the main body of water. Beautiful area with lots of hiking opportunities, too.

Pat T
Pat T is offline   Reply With Quote