Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2018, 05:46 AM   #1
dmcieslik

Cedar Lakes questions

Planning a short trip to Cedar Lakes middle of next week. Itís been six years since Iíve been in that area, so I have a few questions. Hopefully, some of you fine people have answers...

1) I remember the stretch of road from Sled Harbor to Pillsbury trailhead being too difficult for my Honda Accord. Iíve since upgraded to a Subaru Outback. Should I expect any challenge driving that last mile?

2) Only in the past two years have I started fishing on my ADK trips. I know these cards get rightly held close to the chest, but any insight on fishing Cedar Lakes or surrounding area would be appreciated. (PM, of course. And Iím strictly catch and release, and only in the area every five years, or so.)

Much appreciated.
dmcieslik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:30 AM   #2
jblaser

Cedar Lakes

I have the same question about the road from Perkins Clearing to Pillsbury and also to the trail head to Jessup River/Spruce Lake, but I drive a Ford Fusion.
jblaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:49 AM   #3
bioguide

You should be able to drive up to the trailhead. I happened to have walked it last year in May and the road up to the trail head had been redone with some nice pea size gravel. You can see some of the road and how the fishing was in this video: https://youtu.be/H1OXM2jkiDg?t=68
Old 06-20-2018, 07:58 AM   #4
Pauly D.

You should be fine. I see Subaru’s in the parking lot every time I go to Pillsbury.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:19 AM   #5
madison

I've never had trouble driving to the Pillsbury trailhead, but I always did it in my old Chevy Blazer. Haven't tried it yet with the Subaru. I've seen Subies in the lot, though.

As for fishing, I've haven't had any luck in Cedar in years. The last time I went (2016) I spent a considerable amount of time and didn't get a strike. The fishing used to be good- it seems to have degraded as the level of the lake gradually lowers as the dam slowly breaks down.
madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:25 AM   #6
cuterocky
Kalie

I drove to the Pillsbury trailhead in my Subaru Crosstrek at the beginning of June. The road is mostly fine until about 100 yards before the trailhead, the last steep uphill bit, where it's definitely much more washed out than the last time I was there a few years ago. It's doable by a high clearance vehicle (like a Crosstrek or Outback) but we had someone in a Honda Civic that couldn't make it. Not sure how a Fusion would do... All the vehicles in the parking lot were high clearance (Subarus and pickups) and there was also 1 Buick sedan. I might have a picture of the short bad section, I can check when I get home today.

I also drove into the Spruce Lake trailhead last year and, unless it's changed over the winter, I think it would be fine in a lower clearance car as long as you take it slow and keep a lookout for rocks. Here's a video I took driving back out from the Spruce Lake trailhead (sorry it's crappy quality, I saved it from a Snapchat) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCQt0HfOq5c
CL50 #506
ADK 11/46

I Should Go Hiking...

Last edited by cuterocky; 06-20-2018 at 09:39 AM..
cuterocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 05:30 PM   #7
dmcieslik

Thanks for the info.

Both videos got me excited for the trip.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:19 PM   #8
dundee

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison View Post
As for fishing, I've haven't had any luck in Cedar in years. The last time I went (2016) I spent a considerable amount of time and didn't get a strike. The fishing used to be good- it seems to have degraded as the level of the lake gradually lowers as the dam slowly breaks down.
I can only say that in '16 I shared a LT with a guy who caught a couple of nice brookies for dinner. Isn't always the other guy who has the good luck?
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:17 PM   #9
jblaser

Thanks everyone, very helpful. i am planning on going in a couple of weeks, so any updates would be appreciated. What's the better way in, from Mason Lake or from Route 30 further south? Any difference between the two? Thanks again.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:14 PM   #10
cuterocky
Kalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblaser View Post
Thanks everyone, very helpful. i am planning on going in a couple of weeks, so any updates would be appreciated. What's the better way in, from Mason Lake or from Route 30 further south? Any difference between the two? Thanks again.
If you're coming from the north, go in at Mason Lake and if you're coming from the south, go in at the southern entrance. There really isn't much difference to them
CL50 #506
ADK 11/46

I Should Go Hiking...
cuterocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:25 PM   #11
jblaser

OK, thanks again. I come from the south. If the road conditions are the same on both routes, that will be fine.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:44 AM   #12
dmcieslik

The final stretch of the road was significantly improved from what I remember a few years ago. My Outback handled it with no problem. I did see a Honda Civic parked along the side of the road not too far from the trailhead. All vehicles at the trailhead were trucks or SUVs.

As for fishing, my group caught a handful of small brook trout, and even smaller bullheads and (what I think were) fallfish.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:16 AM   #13
jblaser

Thanks very much. I was thinking if my car can't handle the road and there are areas to pull-off before it, I could always do so and walk, especially since it's not far to Spruce Lake. Thanks again.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:38 PM   #14
Harvey44

It's been a long time since I fished Cedar Lakes (15 years?), but I recall the fishing was good. I was trolling.

Loved the Otters too!
Old 07-12-2018, 04:13 PM   #15
jblaser

Great thanks, I am considering taking my packraft in for fishing.