Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2018, 01:55 PM   #1
Tug Hill

Turkeys strutting

Gearing up for spring turkey season. But, might have to wear snowshoes for the opener ? Still a good snow pack in the woods and received 3 more last night.
Hoping the forecast starting Sat. Is correct and it starts to get into the 50s ?

Anyone else gearing up , youth weekend is 10 days away ?
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 04:16 PM   #2
Buckladd

Yes sir, Tug, you beat me to it as I usually start up a turkey discussion here. I signed up through a local program to mentor a youth hunter this weekend. So I'm ready to go. I also took May 1 off! Thanks to the weather the birds have been a little inactive compared to last year, but the flocks are splitting up over this way. I can't get enough turkey hunting.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:17 PM   #3
EagleCrag

I'm now retired so expect to be out there as well. Plan on starting my scouting efforts in the morning. Bought some permethrin to treat my hunting duds with. I'd like to spray them outside but the weather isn't even warming up enough for that. It spit snow off and on all day today. We got a brief flurry and I looked at the thermometer and it was 37 degrees. Go figure.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:25 PM   #4
Tug Hill

My mistake, I thought youth weekend was the following weekend. This year propbably would have been better the 28-29.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:49 PM   #5
chaser
pond jockey

Happy Retirement EC, use your time well!!!!
Old 04-18-2018, 10:58 PM   #6
EagleCrag

Thanks Chaser. I'll have no excuses for not bagging my buck/turkey or whatever any more. Expect to spend copious time in the woods and on the water.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:55 AM   #7
gmorin71

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleCrag View Post
I'm now retired so expect to be out there as well. Plan on starting my scouting efforts in the morning. Bought some permethrin to treat my hunting duds with. I'd like to spray them outside but the weather isn't even warming up enough for that. It spit snow off and on all day today. We got a brief flurry and I looked at the thermometer and it was 37 degrees. Go figure.
congratulations to you my good man! get out and enjoy your free time!

Lee Wulff
gmorin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 07:13 PM   #8
wildbrookies

Hey EC,
Glad to hear you are leaving the workforce! Congrats EC! Now you owe it to yourself to get after those birds and hook even more fish in the future! Go enjoy your retirement,I hope to be there someday myself...:roll eyes:

As for turkey sightings ,I just saw this morning a few hens in the middle of a field along with a young jake.
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:35 PM   #9
TCD

Congrats on retiring! I don't hunt or fish but I "scout" for new rock climbing cliffs. Retired a few years ago. Life is very, very good.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:31 PM   #10
Buckladd

Saw 11 mountain birds this morning, including two jakes and two toms. But, I'll be in the farm country of Washington County with a 12-year-old at first light. Never hunted this spot before, but the birds were there this afternoon.

Good luck to all the youth hunters and mentors this weekend. I don't think I'm going to sleep much tonight.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:12 AM   #11
mgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
I don't think I'm going to sleep much tonight.
Funny how that works....as much as I hunt, I still have a hard time sleeping the night before I go out...I spend my time thinking about the spot, how I'm going to set up, which way the wind will blow, if I have all of my gear ready, if I'm getting up too late or too early...and on and on. Matters not if it's deer, turkey, ducks, geese whatever. The excitement is always there...
Good luck...it's good to get the yutes out.
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:37 AM   #12
Buckladd

The youth hunt went well around here with a half-dozen kids I know of getting birds. We had a good show both mornings with a big flock present that had six good toms, four jakes and several hens. But they stayed together for the most part and wouldn't come in.

At one point on Sunday, three jakes and a hen were wing to wing just inside 40 yards (I had a rangefinder). I had already talked to the kid about that situation. She was ready, but held off on pulling the trigger and they didn't come in any closer.

Overall it was a fun two days, but cold both mornings, especially for the kids. I'm pumped for a week from today.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:53 AM   #13
Tug Hill

yeah, I too am waiting for May 1st, but I’m torn between turkey opener and walleye opener.
With the late spring, I’m hoping the spawning Oneida Lake Walleyes are still in the river.

I probably will go for the walleyes, because with all of the snow still on the Plateau, turkey hunting will be good into late May.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:56 PM   #14
Woodly

We have plenty of turkeys here [sny] but I've seen none strutting or heard any gobbling at all...yet.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:28 AM   #15
St.Regis

Not talking in CNY
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 01:07 PM   #16
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Regis View Post
Not talking in CNY
Man, on the youth hunt in Washington County this past weekend I couldn't believe the gobbling. One tom would gobble on the roost and the other five would follow. It would last about ten seconds. I told the girl I was mentoring that doesn't happen a lot. The jakes were silent.

Like I said, they stayed together mostly as a flock and avoided our setup (I'm not the best caller). It was still a good show and the kid passed what was a questionable shot at grouped-up jakes.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:49 AM   #17
Tug Hill

Just wait until next week, temps in the 70’s. That will turn them on.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:08 PM   #18
EagleCrag

Went out this morning but didn't hear a thing and no responses to my calls. I haven't scouted though, so perhaps there weren't any birds around. Not much sign in the woods either, but after the heavy rain earlier in the week I wasn't surprised.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:37 PM   #19
Tug Hill

Worked two long beards with hens , yesterday morning for about hour, and they would not cooperate. Left them alone and came back a couple of hours later and called one in, but he circled me and came in hard to my right and I blew the shot.

Worked 4 longbeards with hens this morning, finally got the hens to respond, mimicked their clucks and cuts, they gobbled about fifty times, and about two hours later all long beards came in to about 60 yards, and would not cross the small brook between us. So I watched them walk away.

Back at tomorrow morning.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:32 PM   #20
Buckladd

I started in the farm country and watched a nice tom follow a hen onto adjacent property. Then I headed for the mountain and worked a nice tom from 9:30 am to Noon. Like Tug's tom, he did a half circle around me. When he crossed the road I had my decoy in, he ran across it and didn't even look up. He just got in the thick stuff and stayed there gobbling. I sat there past noon letting him get away so I could sneak out. I'll be after both of these birds over the weekend.