Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2018, 08:45 PM   #1
jblaser

Tenkara

Hi everyone,
I am getting a Tenkara (Sawyer package) and a Klymit LWD to use when backpacking. If anyone has experience with one or both, I would appreciate any tips or advice. Thanks
jblaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:28 PM   #2
Pauly D.

I use a Tenkara rod for small stream fishing and it's a blast. I haven't really experimented too much with it but I use traditional tapered line with 5X tippet. I like the fact it's really easy to dap pockets which has found me some hidden fish behind rocks in the riffle.

Get a couple of small Gear Tie's to spool your line while you're walking through the brush. Home Depot has them for a few bucks.

Even though it doesn't require as much room to cast as a fly rod mine manages to find every overhanging tree branch in the stream. Do not try to free the stuck line by pulling on the rod or you can easily break the very small tip. Walk toward the snag until you can grab the line (hopefully) and then pull directly on the line to break your tippet. Bye bye fly.

Tenkara is a lot of fun. I've use dries and nymphs with it. Learn to mend line and pay attention to the rod tip to try and get a drag-free drift. Have Fun!
Old 06-16-2018, 07:57 AM   #3
jblaser

Thanks very much for the tips Pauly D. I meant Sawtooth package, not Sawyer. I am looking forward to using it this summer in the Pharaoh Lake, Five Ponds and West Canada Lake wilderness. I am curious about how it will work from the Klymit LWD; I am thinking of using it to fish the edges of the ponds.
jblaser is offline   Reply With Quote