Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2017, 09:08 PM   #1
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

"Log Bay Day" banned by LGPC

Saw this posted on Reddit earlier today: http://wnyt.com/news/log-bay-day-ban...eorge/4552144/

Sounds like "Log Bay Day" itself hasn't really been banned, but access to the bays in question will be prohibited on the day that the gathering typically takes place.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:01 PM   #2
ADKxplorer

Not surprised after what happened last year and long overdue....
ADKxplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:42 AM   #3
gebbyfish

About time!
gebbyfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:59 AM   #4
TCD

Agree. Long overdue. This has always been a dangerous "party" mixing drinking, swimming and boating. Also businesses in the area had to put up with lots of lying about "calling in sick" on that day, which was always a shame.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:27 AM   #5
Buckladd

As someone who lives in one of the towns that had to put up with it, I'm personally not going to miss it. Nor will my friends who work in law enforcement, DEC and local EMT and Fire Depts. It did nothing but tax those resources. It started out as a band holding a jam in the bay on a Monday for locals who had the day off, but it blossomed into a mess. I can tell you some stories!
Old 07-26-2017, 06:18 PM   #6
dundee

I never want to see someone get hurt and LBD was NOT my cup of tea, but how can they close Forest Preserve lands? They are telling me that someone who brings his kids up from NJ, rents a boat, has no alcohol, can't pull into Log Bay for a swim? Some mature couple in their 80's can't canoe into Log Bay? Don't we have the right of free assembly?

I'm glad LBD is ending, but other rights may be being violated.

Last edited by dundee; 07-26-2017 at 08:04 PM..
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:28 PM   #7
Justin
Moving along

I for one have many happy memories at Log Bay when I was much younger.
Do I miss it? Not really, I've since moved on from those day, but sure had some fun times there & made several friends with lots of good people, girls mostly. Ah the good ol' days...

Last edited by Justin; 07-26-2017 at 07:41 PM..
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:44 PM   #8
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I for one have many happy memories at Log Bay when I was much younger.
Do I miss it? Not really, I've since moved on from those day, but sure had some fun times there & made several friends with lots of good people, girls mostly. Ah the good ol' days...
Sounds like someone got their log in a few bays.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:48 PM   #9
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
Sounds like someone got their log in a few bays.
And I didn't even own a motor boat, just hiked in all sweaty from Shelving Rock and went wading & swimming about the fun lovin' peeps.

Bummer things got so out of control from 20+ years ago.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 12:11 PM   #10
AvalanchePass

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee View Post
I never want to see someone get hurt and LBD was NOT my cup of tea, but how can they close Forest Preserve lands? They are telling me that someone who brings his kids up from NJ, rents a boat, has no alcohol, can't pull into Log Bay for a swim? Some mature couple in their 80's can't canoe into Log Bay? Don't we have the right of free assembly?

I'm glad LBD is ending, but other rights may be being violated.
I tried to make a similar argument when they were turning around motor vehicles on the Adirondak Loj Road at South Meadow Lane last year but I didn't get much support here.
AvalanchePass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 12:23 PM   #11
Trail Boss

I'm not familiar with Log Bay but I believe the difference with Adirondack Loj Road is that, south of Meadows Lane, you're entering the private land of the ADK Mtn Club. I imagine blocking access to private land could be seen as less contentious than to public land. Having said that, the state has closed public lands in the past albeit due to storm-related damage (a hurricane in the 50's, Floyd in the 90's, Irene a few years ago). It could be that all the justification needed is simply "public safety" (just my guess).
Old 07-27-2017, 02:14 PM   #12
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

If an actual SAR operation was in progress the agencies in charge would be able to restrict access to the area where they were working, and I presume that they have the same authority in the case of a drill or practice session.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:56 PM   #13
dundee

They may "call" it public safety, but Log Bay will still open if you drive down the Shelving Rock Rd., and take the trail to the lake. You may then wade out, play volleyball, swim, etc. Why/how can it be open for hikers, but not boaters?

When something like Irene hit, a whole area was closed to everyone, and for good reason. The local powers-that-be just don't like LBD.

I don't like rap music, but you might and you have a right to listen to it. If I have a right to hike to Log Bay on LBD, why not boat? I could bring no alcohol, behave myself and cause harm to no one, but I would not be allowed in.

Again, I want to see no one hurt and last years accident with the young girl was tragic, but the person was caught and punished. I didn't care for LBD, but if we start squashing people's rights, someday they'll squash one of yours (and I point no fingers at anyone here by saying that).

I also wonder if the Warren Co. Sheriffs Dept. and the Lake George Park Commission actually have the authority to close Forest Preserve lands. After storms like Irene, the DEC was closing it's owns lands, not lans that belonged to someone else.

Last edited by dundee; 07-27-2017 at 06:27 PM..
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:28 PM   #14
tuccarammahacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
If an actual SAR operation was in progress the agencies in charge would be able to restrict access to the area where they were working, and I presume that they have the same authority in the case of a drill or practice session.
Zach
Exactly as you pointed out they will be conducting a SAR drill that day.

Quote:
Warren County Sheriff Bud York said his agency will put just as many boat patrols out as it would for a normal Log Bay Day enforcement effort, but they will focus on enforcing the Park Commission resolution. Adding teeth to the resolution will be the use of Log Bay for at least part of the day by the Sheriff’s Office dive team for a regional training exercise, York said. Patrol boats from Rensselaer County and the state Department of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation will be part of the enforcement effort.

http://poststar.com/news/local/log-b...ff72de530.html
tuccarammahacking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:04 PM   #15
Bounder45

Seems to be some shaky legal justification on this. As dundee noted, people can still hike out and swim in that area, and even bring drinks if they want on any day of the week.

It seems the local government is targeting the gathering young crowds, but the reality is if you outlaw one venue/gathering, they'll simply transition to another one somewhere else.
Bounder45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:50 PM   #16
peskypup

Transitioning to another location on the Lake isn't as easy as it sounds. One of the benefits of Log/Shelving Rock Bays is that those without boats could join the party by driving and hiking in. No other area of the lake offers that option.

We were on the lake Monday (former Log Bay Day) and definitely noticed the increased presence of law enforcement. I read in the Post Star this morning that they made over 200 stops on the lake, issued 5 tickets and made 4 BWI arrests. And that it was a glorious day to spend at Shelving Rock Day Use area because it was even quieter than a normal summer day.

I can't say I'm sorry to see the party come to an end. I'm all for a day for summer staff and locals to blow off some steam, but Log Bay Day had grown beyond that, attracting groups from hours away with the sole intention of getting bombed. A few years back we made the mistake of heading over to Shelving Rock a couple days after Log Bay Day and I was appalled by the amount of trash left behind on land and in the water. Burnt out styrofoam coolers, used condoms, trashed rafts/pool toys, and enough cans and bottles to fund a college education with the deposit money. It's only a shame it took an 8 year old girl's life to finally reign it in.

And yes, I am officially old. #getoffmylawn
peskypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:41 AM   #17
Buckladd

On Monday, law enforcement patrolled the land and roads around Shelving Rock/Log Bay pretty heavily. There was yet another accident at the Falls a few days prior as well. On Lake George, meanwhile, there's been an increase in patrols throughout the summer resulting in more BWIs. None of us who live around here missed LBD.